[comp.mail.uucp] is there a user-program to send out MX-queries

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (08/26/88)

every once in a while I get curious about a certain site and would like
to find out more about it.  one tool I know of is uuhosts, another is
querying the NIC-database either online with TELNET or by mail (send mail
to service@sri-nic.arpa with Subject: HELP for more info...) ....

given the use of MX-records on Internet, it has occured to me that "gurus"
may have developed a tool to quickly query for MX-records (simulating
what the mailer would be doing if they had sent mail), similar to doing a
remote finger or whois .... I'm looking for something that is useful while
requiring as little knowledge about the actual mechanics of the "MX-techniques"
as possible .... (I read the RFCs, though...)

Any leads?

			Cheers,		---Werner

--
-------------------->PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS<---------------------
(INTERNET)	werner%rascal.ics.utexas.edu@cs.utexas.edu

vjs@rhyolite.SGI.COM (Vernon Schryver) (08/26/88)

In article <3047@utastro.UUCP>, werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) writes:
> every once in a while I get curious about a certain site and would like
> to find out more about it....

Have you tried 'nslookup'?  It's in 4.3 (I think).  It's certainly
in the new BSD stuff.  For implementation details, assuming you don't have
the source, you might want to hassle Andy Cherenson, arc@sgi.com, but don't
tell him I sent you. :-)

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com   or  {sun,decwrl,pyramid}!sgi!vjs  (too bad I can't mention our
						AT&T links for use anymore.)

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (08/27/88)

There are a few programs that can be used to view MX records.

nslookup is packaged with the BIND nameserver. It, um, stinks, but
it works. The basic procedure is to run nslookup, type
"set querytype=mx" and then type the name of the host to look up.

I've seen two different programs called "host" that give a condensed
version of all nameserver info on a host. I have no idea how to get
a copy of either one. I know that one version is running on
tut.cis.ohio-state.edu; maybe someone there can help. The other
version runs on csl.sri.com, and probably elsewhere.

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (08/27/88)

wisner@killer.dallas.tx.us writes:
   I've seen two different programs called "host" that give a condensed
   version of all nameserver info on a host. I have no idea how to get
   a copy of either one. I know that one version is running on
   tut.cis.ohio-state.edu; maybe someone there can help.

Our `host' program was a gift of Chuck Hedrick of Rutgers when I first
absconded with a raw binary of his hacked bind 4.7.2.  I don't know
its origin, but it contains a BSD copyright.  You'd have to ask him
for details.  Usage is very simple, just ask it on the command line
for the record type and the hostname, or use -a for all records:

[118] [5:54pm] tut:/dino0/karl> host -a killer.dallas.tx.us
killer.dallas.tx.us     604800 IN       HINFO   ATT-3B2/500     UNIX
killer.dallas.tx.us     86400 IN        MX      10 AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV
killer.dallas.tx.us     86400 IN        MX      20 TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU
killer.dallas.tx.us     86400 IN        MX      30 EDDIE.MIT.EDU
killer.dallas.tx.us     86400 IN        MX      40 BUITA.BU.EDU
Additional information:
AMES.ARC.NASA.GOV       161199 IN       A       128.102.18.3
TUT.CIS.OHIO-STATE.EDU  165145 IN       A       128.146.8.60
EDDIE.MIT.EDU   9811 IN A       18.62.0.6

Hm, interesting: No A record provided for buita.bu.edu in the
`additional information' category.  A separate query for buita did in
fact give me its address, though.  Odd.

--Karl

jordan@zooks.ads.com (Jordan Hayes) (08/27/88)

#!/bin/csh -f
nslookup << _EOF_ | awk '{ if (NR < 4 || NR > 7) print }'
set debug
set defname
set querytype=ANY
$1