[comp.mail.uucp] Sendmail and pathalias

dsc@izimbra.CSS.GOV (where was george?) (08/18/88)

In article <4540@saturn.ucsc.edu> koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) writes:
>standard set of diffs for sendmail so it looks stuff up in a pathalias
>database?  I am starting to modify sendmail on my own, but since

look at either the `ida' enhancements which should be reappearing soon
in comp.sources.unix according to paul vixie or take a look at the file
`pub/uucpdomain.shar.Z' in the anonymous ftp directory on
`uunet.uu.net'.  the latter is used at rutgers (which does active
rerouting) as well as seismo & uunet (which do not) and though i
haven't updated the shar file since going to sendmail 5.59, the changes
should patch fairly easily into that version.  the supplied diffs add
uucp hostname lookup operators, '${' & '$}', which are analogous to
'$[' & '$]'.

dsc

daveb@llama.rtech.UUCP (Dave Brower) (08/22/88)

In <23668@uunet.UU.NET> dsc@izimbra.CSS.GOV (where was george?) writes:
>In article <4540@saturn.ucsc.edu> koreth@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Steven Grimm) writes:
>>standard set of diffs for sendmail so it looks stuff up in a pathalias
>>database?  I am starting to modify sendmail on my own, but since
>
>look at either the `ida' enhancements which should be reappearing soon
>in comp.sources.unix according to paul vixie or take a look at the file
>`pub/uucpdomain.shar.Z' in the anonymous ftp directory on
>`uunet.uu.net'.  the latter is used at rutgers (which does active
>rerouting) as well as seismo & uunet (which do not) and though i
>haven't updated the shar file since going to sendmail 5.59, the changes
>should patch fairly easily into that version.  the supplied diffs add
>uucp hostname lookup operators, '${' & '$}', which are analogous to
>'$[' & '$]'.

Another way to do this is to run sendmail with smail 2.X, which is found
at any number of comp.sources.unix archives.  This is what the UUCP
Project recommends.

I am given to understand that there is another commonly used
alternative, whose name escapes me at the moment.  Uupath?  Dunno, I'm
sure some fan will correct me.

-dB
"Ready when you are Raoul!"
{amdahl, cpsc6a, mtxinu, sun, hoptoad}!rtech!daveb daveb@rtech.com <- FINALLY!

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (08/23/88)

Please note that the method Comay referred to is a lot different
that smail or uumail (and a lot more powerful).

To begin with, the pathalias translation is part of sendmail, so
there is no fork/exec to do the pathname lookup.

However, the most important part of it is that it allows you to have
a pathalias "route" like:
	ucbvax	%s@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Now, if you're on the internet this is incredibly useful. You can
turn a uucp path into an internet address BEFORE you decide what
delivery agent to use. This is extremely useful in a complicated
configuration. Also, because pathalias is general enough to
handle routing domains, you could even do something like:
	.span	%s.span@whatever.thespan.gatewayis.topleveldomain
and therefor do pseudo-domain routing without hacking sendmail.

If you just want to do uucp routing, smail or uumail is ok. If
you want to get tricky and do something complicated BEFORE chosing
a delivery agent, Comay's hacks are clearly the way to go.

(not surprisingly, we used them here and I goaded him into doing them...)

---rick

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/23/88)

I'd like to add to Rick's note:

# If you just want to do uucp routing, smail or uumail is ok. If
# you want to get tricky and do something complicated BEFORE chosing
# a delivery agent, Comay's hacks are clearly the way to go.

IDA-enhanced sendmail can do this kind of thing, and as Rick says, it is
much better to be able to rewrite and reroute before you choose a delivery
agent, since which delivery agent you use will depend on the domain or host
you're trying to reach.  (It does _not_ usefully depend on the syntax of
the address - insisting that something go out over UUCP because you found
a "!" is not going to buy very many cookies.)

I don't know what Comay's hacks are like.  I know about IDA, and I like it
because it isn't pathalias-specific - you associate a DBM database with an
identifying letter, and you can look things up in this database in the RHS.
You can have more than one database open -- which I particularly like, since
I can keep a database of UUCP exceptions (overriding MX), SMTP exceptions
(overriding pathalias), and then pathalias.  It's a very flexible way to
get mail sent around, and it means I don't have to refreeze my config file
whenever I add a UUCP neighbor.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) (08/25/88)

In article <75@volition.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
>I'd like to add to Rick's note:
>
># If you just want to do uucp routing, smail or uumail is ok. If
># you want to get tricky and do something complicated BEFORE chosing
># a delivery agent, Comay's hacks are clearly the way to go.
>
>IDA-enhanced sendmail can do this kind of thing, and as Rick says, it is
>much better to be able to rewrite and reroute before you choose a delivery
>agent, since which delivery agent you use will depend on the domain or host
>you're trying to reach. ...

Just as another note, it is possible to do this without modifying
sendmail, although the method can only be described as a kludge.
(Since sendmail refuses to distinguish between incoming mailers, the
situation is even kludgier than it would have to be.)  What you do is
have sendmail `deliver' everything to a program that does the routing,
then hands the message back to sendmail for *real* delivery.  You have
to pick some `unlikely' string to distinguish between first-time
addresses and routed addresses (`host.ROUTING-TRASH'? :-) ).

woods@ncar.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (08/26/88)

In article <13206@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>What you do is
>have sendmail `deliver' everything to a program that does the routing,
>then hands the message back to sendmail for *real* delivery.

  That's what I do; the "program" in question is "smail", with a modification
that causes it to recognize when the first hop in the generated route is
really an Internet link, in which case it hands it back to sendmail for
delivery by SMTP. All you have to do is make sure your sendmail.cf file
will recognize those paths as Internet links, by having rules like

Cslist-of-fake-uucp-links-that-are-really-Internet
$=s!$+	$2@$[$1.$]  # yes, I know this is oversimplified

Then you need appropriate CNAME records in your name server for these
"fake uucp" hosts, e.g.

GATECH.	IN	CNAME	GATECH.EDU.

So it works like this:

1) address comes into sendmail of the form user@host.podunk.edu

2) If podunk.edu is in list of known Internet domains, deliver by SMTP

3) Hand off to smail

4) If generated route is through a real uucp site,  queue via uux

5) Hand generated bang path back to sendmail, which hopefully will NOT
   pass it back to smail again and start an infinite loop :-)

--Greg

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/26/88)

I've got five articles to respond to in this group today, I'll try to keep it
short.

In article <13206@mimsy.UUCP> chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
# have sendmail `deliver' everything to a program that does the routing,
# then hands the message back to sendmail for *real* delivery.

Someone else followed this up with a description of a local hack to smail
that uses this trick.  I can see the need for this if you either have a
very large machine that can fork many processes per second, or if you don't
have or don't want sendmail source.

If you don't mind maintaining sendmail source code, you can get a very fast
and very elegant solution to this problem with IDA or something like it.

I understand why many people would prefer not to deal with modified sendmail
source code, though.  Perhaps Berkeley can be convinced to include IDA in
Sendmail 5.60?  I know L.L. (IDA's author) is willing...
--

jsloan@wright.UUCP (John Sloan) (08/26/88)

From article <13206@mimsy.UUCP>, by chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek):
	:
> have sendmail `deliver' everything to a program that does the routing,
> then hands the message back to sendmail for *real* delivery.  You have
> to pick some `unlikely' string to distinguish between first-time
> addresses and routed addresses (`host.ROUTING-TRASH'? :-) ).

This is a kludge, but it works, and it works well if you're a binary
only site. We have been using a program, "dnagent", since December of
'86 that does just this. We recently replaced uumail with smail, and
we hope to replace dnagent's functionality with smail sometime RSN, but
for now it solves our problems.

Dnagent appears to be a mailer to Sendmail. It receives a message, takes
the recepient address, rewrites the envelope based on what it finds in
a dbm database that is maintained with a combination of cron'ed scripts
and manual intervention, and resubmits it to Sendmail. We were having it
do translation of @ addresses into paths, but it turned out easier to
let uumail/smail to that instead.

Dnagent's not perfect but it solved our problems with routing
domain-style addresses between CSNET, UUCP, and local machines. I'll
include the man page here.

DNAGENT(8)            MAINTENANCE COMMANDS             DNAGENT(8)

NAME
     dnagent - RFC920 domain network mailer agent for Sendmail

SYNOPSIS
     dnagent -b [ -l ] [ -ddb ]
     dnagent -a [ -l ] [ -ddb ]
     dnagent -l [ -ddb ]
     dnagent [ -x ] [ -f from ] [ -v ] [  -Ccf  ]  [  -ddb  ]  -u address [ address ...]
     mailagent [ arguments ]

DESCRIPTION
     The Domain-Network Agent is an middle-end  to  the  Sendmail
     program.  When  Sendmail  identifies  a host or organization
     domain which it cannot resolve internally, it  delivers  the
     message  to the Dnagent mailer. Dnagent resolves destination
     addresses by querying  a  DBM  database  containing  rewrite
     strings  for  a key which matches the host-domain portion of
     the address. If a match cannot be found, Dnagent retries the
     query  with  the next higher order portion of the domain (if
     one exists), scanning from left to right. If a match  cannot
     be  found before the address is exhausted, Dnagent can fetch
     a default rewrite string from the database.

     This rewrite string  is  applied  only  to  the  destination
     address(es)  on  the outer envelope as specified by Sendmail
     as arguments on the command line when it forks and  executes
     the  Dnagent  mailer.  Addresses  in  the  RFC822  compliant
     headers in the text of the message are passed through undis-
     turbed.

     Rewrite strings may contain macros which are expanded to  be
     the  user  portion  of the address, the domain portion, that
     part of the domain which  matched  a  key,  and  conditional
     expansions which depend upon whether the full domain and the
     matched key are the same.

     Once the addresses are rewritten, Dnagent resubmits the mes-
     sage,  with  the new outer envelope, to Sendmail for further
     processing.  Several iterations may be made  until  Sendmail
     recognizes  an  address  which it can resolve. The number of
     iterations can be tuned by adding additional rulesets to the
     Sendmail  configuration  file,  or  by  making  the  rewrite
     strings in the Dnagent database more explicit.

     When different switches are applied to the  Dnagent  mailer,
     the  same  program may build, append, and dump the database.
     The database  entries  are  derived  from  several  sources:
     tables  available  from  the  CSNET  Info Server, the USENET
     Pathalias database, and local entries.

Sun Release 3.4   Last change: Thu Feb  4 10:26:32 EST 1988           1

DNAGENT(8)            MAINTENANCE COMMANDS             DNAGENT(8)

     A debugging mailer, Mailagent, is also  included.  Mailagent
     simply echoes all of its command line arguments and standard
     input to standard error. It  is  useful  for  debugging  new
     mailers or examing the behavior of Sendmail.

     Both Dnagent and Mailagent have been in  use  as  production
     software for nearly a year as of this writing.

     -b   Read standard input for domain-rewrite string pairs and
          (re)build a new Dnagent database.

     -a   Read standard input for domain-rewrite string pairs and
          add to an existing Dnagent database.

     -l   List the contents of an existing  Dnagent  database  to
          standard  output.   This can be combined with the -b or
          -a options.

     -u recepient [ recepient ... ]
          Read a message on standard input and submit to Sendmail
          to  mail  to a list of recepients, where each recepient
          is an address of the form  user@domain.   This  is  the
          form of the command that is used in the Sendmail mailer
          definition.

     -ddatabase
          Specify an alternative Dnagent database named database.
          The    root   name   of   the   default   database   is
          /usr/spool/sites/dnagent.

     -x   Use debug mode, tracing the parsing of each domain  and
          dumping the resulting Sendmail command to standard out-
          put instead of executing it.

     -f sender
          Specify the from address as  sender  (passed  along  to
          Sendmail).

     -v   Specify verbose mode on mail delivery (passed along  to
          Sendmail).  This is useful in debugging.

     -Cconfiguration
          Specify an alternative Sendmail configuration  file  to
          use (passed along to Sendmail).

     -oddeliverymode
          Spefify an alternative delivery mode (passed  to  Send-
          mail).   This  allows you to, for example, run all pri-
          mary mail delivery immediately, but to delay processing
          of Dnagent output until a Sendmail queue run.

Sun Release 3.4 Last change: Thu Feb  4 10:26:32 EST 1988           2

DNAGENT(8)            MAINTENANCE COMMANDS             DNAGENT(8)

  Input Format
     Input to the build function of  Dnagent  consists  of  lines
     each  containing  a domain and rewrite string pair seperated
     by white space.  The rewrite string  is  in  printf  format,
     with  the addition of special string substitution parameters
     shown below.  A domain does not  include  a  leading  period
     (unlike pathalias).

     A rewrite string can be any legal string that does not  con-
     tain any printf control strings. For example, if you want to
     include a percent sign in your output address, you must dou-
     ble  it  ("%%"),  just as you would in a printf string.  The
     rewrite string may contain the following  parameters,  which
     will  be filled in at run time with the appropriate informa-
     tion gleaned from the recepient address.

     $u   User portion of the address.

     $d   Domain portion of the address.

     $m   Trailing portion of the  domain  that  matched  in  the
          database.

     $%   Same as "%$d" if $d!=$m, "" otherwise.

     $!   Same as "$d!" if $d!=$m, "" otherwise.

  Example Input
     edu            $u%%$d@CSNet-Relay.CSNET
     cs.wright.edu       $u
     vlsi.ceg.wright.edu $u@poly.LOCAL
     cbosgd.att.com      cbosgd!$!$u
     arthur.cs.purdue.edu     cbosgd!ihnp4!purdue!$!$u
     asc.purdue.edu      $u%%$d@CSNet-Relay.CSNET
     purdue.edu          $u%%$d@CSNet-Relay.CSNET

  Sample Invocations
     dnagent -v -x -u jsloan@spots.wright.edu < /dev/null
          Test an address for resolution using debug and  verbose
          mode.

     dnagent -b
          Build a Dnagent database from a list of  domain-rewrite
          string pairs read from standard input.

     dnagent -l -d/usr/local/lib/dnagent
          Dump a Dnagent database to  standard  output,  using  a
          database different from the default.

     dnagent -C/usr/lib/test.cf -u jsloan@spots.wright.edu
          Resolve an address and pass along to Sendmail  using  a
          different configuration file from the default.

Sun Release 3.4 Last change: Thu Feb  4 10:26:32 EST 1988           3

DNAGENT(8)            MAINTENANCE COMMANDS             DNAGENT(8)

  Sendmail Examples
     Here are some sample Sendmail  classes,  rules,  and  mailer
     definitions  for  Dnagent  and  Mailagent. For more complete
     examples, see the Wright  State  University  SPOTS  Sendmail
     Kit.

     # define top-level domains
     CICOM EDU GOV MIL NET ORG AU IL FR JP KR NL SE UK US

     # resolve RFC920 addresses in ruleset zero to Dnagent
     R$*<@$*$=I>         $#dnagent$@$2$3$:$1@$2$3 user@domain.top

     # resolve test addresses in ruleset zero to Mailagent
     R$*<@$*TEST>        $#test$@$2$:$1@$2        user@any.TEST

     # define Dnagent mailer
     Mdnagent, P=/usr/local/mail/dnagent, F=nsmDFef,
          A=dnagent -v -u $u

     # define Mailagent mailer
     Mtest,    P=/usr/local/mail/mailagent, F=FDMxPf,
          A=email -g $g -f $f -x $x -h $h -u $u -q $q -j $j

  Background
     The domainization of the Internet specified  in  RFC920  has
     inspired  other networks, such as CSNET and USENET, to adopt
     the same addressing standard. Internet sites  have  (nearly)
     real-time  access  to  systems which support the RFC920 name
     server function. Sites on these other, affiliated,  networks
     rely  on source routing for the delivery of domain-addressed
     mail. Unfortunately this  scheme  poses  problems  for  non-
     Internet  sites  using  4.2BSD  Sendmail,  the Berkeley mail
     routing mechanism, and which connect to more than  one  net-
     work (for example, CSNET/Phonenet and USENET).

     o    Vanilla 4.2BSD Sendmail does not provide a table lookup
          scheme for RFC920-compliant domains in addresses.

     o    Binary licensees may not be able to modify Sendmail  to
          implement  such  a  facility. Source licensees may lack
          the expertise to do so.

     o    Tables of host names used in Sendmail to provide  user-
          friendly  resolution  of  simple addresses become large
          and cumbersome as networks such as CSNET, USENET,  BIT-
          NET,  etc.  continue  to  grow.  These  tables are kept
          memory resident, so that  Sendmail  requires  more  and
          more  virtual  address  space  as  it  runs  slower and
          slower.

     o    Addition or modification of host entries  is  a  poten-
          tially  lengthy  process,  as the configuration must be

Sun Release 3.4 Last change: Thu Feb  4 10:26:32 EST 1988           4

DNAGENT(8)            MAINTENANCE COMMANDS             DNAGENT(8)

          thawed and refrozen and the Sendmail daemon restarted.

     o    Bouncing all unresolved messages to the CSNET relay may
          result in extra hops, even when the destination machine
          is a nearby USENET site.

     o    Bouncing all unresolved messages to a  USENET  backbone
          site may result in extra hops until it reaches a USENET
          machine on the Internet.  Some (most) USENET sites  may
          not understand RFC920-compliant addresses.

     o    While explicit resolution of domains may be possible in
          the Sendmail rulesets, as is done in the JANET Sendmail
          kit, such a solution can be unwieldy and could  exhaust
          various resources.

     o    While  the  resolution  of  domains  through   software
          replacing  the normal mail utilities is possible, as is
          done in the smail program, such solutions often circum-
          vent  the  logic  in  the  Sendmail configuration file,
          where much of the strategic decisions regarding routing
          may  be made, and they are often specific to a particu-
          lar networking protocol, and so are not of as much  use
          for  sites  with  a variety of local area and wide area
          networks. (We may note that we have  used  smail  quite
          successfully  on  machines  which do not have Sendmail,
          and/or which are peripheral to  our  main  campus  mail
          relay).

     While better software will  surely  come  along  with  time,
     non-Internet  sites  need  a  temporary,  interim  solution.
     Dnagent is an attempt at such a solution.

  Advantages
     o    It requires no source changes other than to  the  Send-
          mail   configuration  file  (which  is  distributed  as
          source).

     o    It allows domains to be mapped to arbitrary machines on
          either wide or local area networks. The mapping is more
          easily  maintained  than  would  be  possible  with   a
          Sendmail-only solution.

     o    It does not disturb the RFC920-compliant  addresses  in
          the message headers.

     o    The Sendmail configuration file  can  be  significantly
          shorter,  usually  resulting  in  a  faster  parsing of
          addresses.

  Disadvantages
     o    Mail  delivery  can  be  slow,  especially  if  several

Sun Release 3.4 Last change: Thu Feb  4 10:26:32 EST 1988           5

DNAGENT(8)            MAINTENANCE COMMANDS             DNAGENT(8)

          iterations  are necessary. Since Dnagent is not closely
          integrated into Sendmail, system overhead can be  rela-
          tively high.

     o    It is one more program and  database  that  the  system
          support staff must understand and manage.

     o    Parsing and rewriting addresses in the message  headers
          based on information in the database, either by Dnagent
          or Sendmail, is not an option. This could  cause  prob-
          lems  with  older mailers which require a UUCP flavored
          From_ line.

  Acknowledgements
     Dnagent was inspired by alias.c  and  newaliases.c  by  Eric
     Allman  (Britton-Lee Inc.), opath.c by Eric Roskosm (Perkin-
     Elmer Corp.), and getpath.c  and  uumail.c  by  Stan  Barber
     (Baylor College of Medicine). No code borrowed, but a lot of
     good ideas used.

FILES
     /usr/spool/sites/dnagent.dir  default Dnagent DBM database

     /usr/spool/sites/dnagent.pag  default Dnagent DBM database

SEE ALSO
     pathalias(1l), sendmail(8), uumail(8l)

AUTHOR
     John  Sloan  <jsloan@SPOTS.Wright.EDU>,  The  SPOTS   Group,
     Department of Computer Science and Engineering, Wright State
     University Research Building, 3171 Research  Blvd.,  Ketter-
     ing, Ohio, 45420
John Sloan    +1 513 259 1384    Wright State University Research Center
jsloan%wright.edu@csnet-relay   3171 Research Blvd., Kettering, OH 45420
..!ucsd!ncr-sd!ncrlnk!ncrpcd!wright!jsloan    ...!osu-cis!wright!jsloan
Logical Disclaimer: belong(opinions,jsloan). belong(opinions,_):-!,fail.

jsloan@wright.UUCP (John Sloan) (08/26/88)

From article <13206@mimsy.UUCP>, by chris@mimsy.UUCP (Chris Torek):
	:
> Just as another note, it is possible to do this without modifying
> sendmail, although the method can only be described as a kludge.
> (Since sendmail refuses to distinguish between incoming mailers, the
> situation is even kludgier than it would have to be.)  What you do is
> have sendmail `deliver' everything to a program that does the routing,
> then hands the message back to sendmail for *real* delivery.
	:

It may be a kludge, but it's a worthwhile, and powerful, solution.
We've been using, since December 1986, a program we developed,
"dnagent", that does just this. Here is a portion of the man page.
(Apologies: I posted an earlier response to this which included the
entire man page. When I realized how long it was I tried to cancel the
article. I think I succeeded.)

kre@munnari.oz (Robert Elz) (08/27/88)

In article <89@volition.dec.com>, vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
> Perhaps Berkeley can be convinced to include IDA in
> Sendmail 5.60?  I know L.L. (IDA's author) is willing...

Last I heard, Berkeley were convinced (though I don't know if anyone
had convinced Eric, or if he cares any more).

If you really want this to happen, get a current sendmail from Berkeley,
get the IDA stuff put in it, and then send it back, with no great delay,
so other changes won't have happened in the meantime.

This will solve the real problem, of who exactly is going to do all the
wonderful things that should be in the next BSD release.

Liaise with Keith Bostic (bostic@okeeffe.berkeley.edu).

kre