[comp.mail.uucp] pathalias and the internet

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (08/27/88)

Now that the argument (excuse me, discussion) about active rerouting has been
thoroughly beaten to death, it's time to expose a few huge flaws in the maps
as they currently exist.

Let's assume 3 situations:

1) ...uucp->internet->internet
2) internet->internet->uucp...
3) ...uucp->internet->internet->uucp...

According to my understanding, the first two are legal and the third is not.
Let's explore 1):

address user@rutgers.edu:

user@rutgers.edu: ames!rochester!rutgers!user

My mail just took a completely unnecessary trip to rochester.  I've seen
lots of paths to internet sites that had many internet hops in them.  One
possible solution would be for every internet site to list every other one
as a terminal domain :-).  Actually, a new field that indicated internet
connection, with the appropriate mods to pathalias, could solve this
problem.  It might also solve problem 2).

As far as 3):

address user@srs:

user@srs: ames!rochester!srs!user

thereby commiting the sin.  Most backbones and heavy mail transit sites are on
the internet.  Without these internet hops, the email system would break down,
so we don't want to stamp them out.  I'm afraid to even talk about them, lest
someone says, "Oh my God, better put a stop to that."  The reason I mention
them is that if, under a new scheme, we consider every internet site to be
terminally connected to every other one, the email system would break down.
Therefore, the connections should be non-terminal.
--
Larry Blair
ames!vsi1!lmb

emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (08/27/88)

In article <968@vsi1.UUCP> lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) writes:
>According to my understanding, the first two are legal and the third is not.
>Let's explore 1):
>
>user@rutgers.edu: ames!rochester!rutgers!user

shouldn't that be ames!rutgers.edu!user?

Perhaps you should build your maps with arpatxt,
the bit of magic that declares all internet sites
to be reachable from a designated uucp-internet
gateway site.

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (08/28/88)

In article <657@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>Perhaps you should build your maps with arpatxt,
>the bit of magic that declares all internet sites
>to be reachable from a designated uucp-internet
>gateway site.

I had forgotten about that feature.  I will investigate it again, now that we
talk to a few Internet sites.

Btw, apparently the Great Rerouter, rutgers, doesn't use this feature.  Mail
I've received from rutgers has come: rutgers!riacs!ames!vsi1.
--
Larry Blair
ames!vsi1!lmb

lmb@vsi1.UUCP (Larry Blair) (08/30/88)

=
= I had forgotten about that feature.  I will investigate it again, now that we
= talk to a few Internet sites.

I have investigated this feature and determined that it is unusable by any
non-internet site.  To use it, one must have the internet hosts.txt table.

I still propose that sites connected to the internet should state so in a
new field in the map entries, so that multiple internet hops can be avoided
by a new version of pathalias.
--
Larry Blair
ames!vsi1!lmb   lmb%vsi1@ames.arc.nasa.gov   rutgers!the-moon!vsi1!lmb

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (08/30/88)

Larry:

You can already list domain entries in a map.  While this doesn't show
an Internet connection necessarily, it shows that there exists a
forwarder on the internet.  Whipped to death with a good awk script,
this information is enough to keep you from making more than one
Internet hop.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (08/30/88)

Larry Blair writes:
>I have investigated [arpatxt] and determined that it is unusable by any
>non-internet site.  To use it, one must have the internet hosts.txt table.

larry, i'm sure you can get a hosts.txt table from a friend.  when i
wrote arpatxt, i was not on the internet, but had friends in low places
willing to help me out.

	peter

ps:  here's a radical thought: the quote uucp project end-quote could
preprocess hosts.txt with arpatxt and ship it regularly.  while hosts.txt
is almost 600 kbytes, the output of arpatxt is only 72 kbytes.

pps:  i know that "hosts.txt is going away", but it hasn't yet, so git
it while the gittin' is good.