[comp.mail.uucp] smail wants you to register a domain

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (08/23/88)

In article <70@volition.dec.com> I wrote:
# [...]
# Registering in the u.* files costs nothing; smail is available for free;
# [...]

In some e-mail which I want to answer publically, claris!skip (Brian Schipper)
said:

# But the documentation I received with smail reads:
#
#	from "Read.Me" - Updated 9/15/87
#
#	[...]
#	Prerequisites:
#	[...]
#	A properly registered domain name for your organization, such
#	as ATT.COM. (It is possible to run smail using a domain name
#	inder .UUCP, but since this can't be officialy registered,
#	it is appropriate only for testing.)
#
# I took this to mean that I shouldn't be running smail unless I was
# officially registered.  Are you telling me that it's ok to do it
# as long as you're registered in the u.* files?

If you were a smoker, and someone told you you really ought to stop smoking,
you'd probably ignore them.  Many people do this in response to the above
so-called "prerequisite" in the smail docs -- it's non-ideal, but in fact
there is still a great benefit to be had.  (See my recent answer to "why
should I install smail?" for a partial list of Great Benefits.)

Smail is a product of the UUCP Project, which maintains the d.* and u.*
files in the UUCP map which is regularly posted to comp.mail.maps.  They
will register your non-domainized name in u.* for free; they will register a
domain name which you've gotten from some other network (CSNet, ARPANet,
etc) in d.* for free; they will charge you something like $150 a year if
they have to handle the paperwork between you and the SRI NIC, who issues
domain names.

WHY SHOULD YOU GET A DOMAIN NAME, ANYWAY?  There are two main reasons.  First,
if you have lots of hosts, you only have to publish the connections of your
"gateway" machines (that is, the machines which talk to the rest of the net).
At Digital, this means that we publish "decwrl" as the "domain server" for the
"dec.com" domain, and anyone who wants to send mail via UUCP to any machine
whose name is "anything.dec.com" just sends it to decwrl, which is assumed
to be able to get the mail delivered.  How it gets the mail delivered is its
business -- there's nothing in the maps to list any other DEC machine.  This
is an example of "data hiding" and I hope I don't need to explain to this
audience why it's a good thing for all parties concerned (internal and
external, users and administrators).

The second main reason is so that people who want to send you mail from the
sometimes-called DARPA Internet can just send mail to "person@domain" and
let their name servers work out a way to get the mail sent to some Internet
host that can UUCP the message to your system.  Directly-connected Internet
machines can send mail to eachother with what looks to them like a single
hop; there's a distributed name server database which maps between domain
and host names and their IP addresses; it also has room for other types of
information; of particular importance to us here is the "MX record."  An MX
record says "mail to this domain should be sent to the Mail eXchanger for
that domain, which is such-and-so host over there."  If you don't have an MX
record, then people on the directly-connected Internet who (usually) do not
run a pathalias-based mailer (which means they don't know about d.* and u.*)
cannot reach you except with oddball permutations like "vixie!paul@dec.com"
which get the mail sent to the bit bucket more often then not.

HOW CAN YOU GET A DOMAIN NAME?  It boils down to: get someone to add you to
their name server database.  You can do this in several ways:

1. send mail to registry@stargate.com and ask for a domain registration
  information packet.  This costs $150 a year to maintain; they will get
  in touch with the SRI NIC to get your domain name registered and put
  into the core name servers.

2. join CSNet.  This costs many thousands of dollars per year.  CSNet is run
  by BBN, which is the contractor that maintains the physical plant of what
  used to be called the ARPAnet.  They have many interesting features, one
  of which is a close relationship with the SRI NIC.  Through CSNet, you can
  also get (for a lot of money) a direct IP-level connection to the Internet.

3. NSFNet, BARRNet, and others.  I don't know much about these.

4. UUNet.  I believe that your domain name has to end in .uu.net for this,
  but UUNet has a name server and they can add an MX for you which points to
  them.  You need to be a UUNet subscriber, which costs about $30 a month
  plus UUCP connect time.

5. Join the .US domain.  This costs nothing.  It's not a "domain name", since
  they want you to register each of your hosts with them except in special
  situations.  But it is - free - and it gets you an MX record.  Send mail
  to <Westine@ISI.Edu> for more details on this.

WHAT IF I DON'T GET A DOMAIN NAME?  Then you'll be one of the thousands of
sites that outputs "From:" lines with "@myhost.UUCP" in it.  Big deal.
Nobody will be able to reply to your mail unless they run pathalias and
smail (and unless certain sites stop rewriting <foo@bar.UUCP> into
<bar!foo@Sun.COM> on UUCP pass-though mail).  That's about it.

You're probably running without a domain name now.  If you start running
smail, you will be able to passively route outgoing mail and you'll stop
mucking up "From:" lines on pass-through UUCP traffic.  These are clearly
benefits; if you don't get a domain name, then you've still taken a few
steps forward.

The u.* files in comp.mail.maps more-or-less make up the list of who should
send out "From:" lines with @myhost.UUCP in them.  I'd like this to be
official, but that can never happen and I've accepted it (let's not start
a discussion on this point).  Smail and u.* registration are both free;
they go together quite nicely.

.US registration is also free, and the UUCP Project will add you to their
d.* files as a "courtesy" if you've attained your domain name from another
source.  Or maybe they'll add your domainized name to u.*, but that's
equivilent except to primadonna sites that only use the d.* files - there
are not many of these.  Getting a .US name is preferrable to using .UUCP,
but the fact is, .UUCP works pretty well.
--
Paul Vixie
Digital Equipment Corporation	Work:  vixie@dec.com	Play:  paul@vixie.UUCP

tgt@cbnews.ATT.COM (Tim Thompson) (08/23/88)

In article <71@volition.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:

>Smail is a product of the UUCP Project, which maintains the d.* and u.*
>files in the UUCP map which is regularly posted to comp.mail.maps.  They
>will register your non-domainized name in u.* for free; they will register a
>domain name which you've gotten from some other network (CSNet, ARPANet,
>etc) in d.* for free; they will charge you something like $150 a year if
>they have to handle the paperwork between you and the SRI NIC, who issues
>domain names.

Just a small correction: Anything that appears in the d.* files are by
definition UUCP Zone members. The UUCP Zone consist of those domains
registered through the UUCP Project.

If you are hooked up with some other network and want your domain name in
the maps, then it will go in the u.* files for nothing.

Besides registering domains with SRI NIC, we do testing of UUCP Zone members
periodically to ensure that forwarding from the Internet works correctly.
If something is broke, it's our responsiblity to track it down and have
it fixed. Other services which may be developed within the confines of
the $150/year fee will be made available to UUCP Zone members only.
For someone who doesn't fit nicely into the .US domain, the UUCP Zone is
a cheap alternative to the other networks in obtaining an official
domain name recognized by multiple networks.

					Tim Thompson
					Domain Coordinator, The UUCP Project

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (08/24/88)

> Just a small correction: Anything that appears in the d.* files are by
> definition UUCP Zone members. The UUCP Zone consist of those domains
> registered through the UUCP Project.

Nonsense. There are hundreds of non-UUCP Zone members in the d.* files
In fact, they probably outnumber the UUCP Zone members.

The d.* files are a joke. They should never have been separated from the
u.* files. I don't think ANYBODY understands what goes where.

--rick

ahby@bungia.Bungia.MN.ORG (Shane P. McCarron) (08/24/88)

In article <935@cbnews.ATT.COM> tgt@cbnews.ATT.COM (Tim Thompson) writes:
>Besides registering domains with SRI NIC, we do testing of UUCP Zone members
>periodically to ensure that forwarding from the Internet works correctly.
>If something is broke, it's our responsiblity to track it down and have
>it fixed. Other services which may be developed within the confines of
>the $150/year fee will be made available to UUCP Zone members only.
>For someone who doesn't fit nicely into the .US domain, the UUCP Zone is
>a cheap alternative to the other networks in obtaining an official
>domain name recognized by multiple networks.

I would just like to point out that this annual fee that the UUCP
Project charges for their "services" is wholly outrageous.  While they
do handle registering your site with SRI-NIC, you can do that yourself
through just about any site on the Internet.  THERE IS NO FEE FOR
REGISTERING WITH THE NIC!  In addition, you can certainly find nameservers
and forwarders yourself, although this will take some time and effort.
While I feel that a ONE TIME NOMINAL fee would be totally reasonable,
this business of charging $150 per year for something that is going to
take less than an hour the first time, and the executing of some shell
scripts in the future, is ridiculous!

It is only slightly less of an outrage that the UUCP Project refuses to
list properly registered domains in the d. files.  Those files are for
domains that are registered in the UUCP Zone, and I take that to mean
ANY domain registered in that zone.  People who want to take a little
initiative and set up a domain on their own should not be discriminated
against for their independence.  Sure, it means that the UUCP Project
has a little less liquid capitol to throw around, but spite isn't
generally a good reason for anything.

There was a meeting of the Map Coordinators at the San Francisco
Usenix, and at that meeting Mel Pleasant and all of the coordinators
there agreed in general to the placement of domains in the maps, and
the concept of a one time fee.  While I cannot speak for any of those
people, I can relate the contents of that meeting.  Mel agreed that
$150 per year was outrageous and uncalled for.  He agreed to take a
recommendation back to Mark Horton that the UUCP Project charge a
nominal fee of $50 or so as a one time charge for setting up a domain.
This should more than cover whatever time and effort it takes to register
a domain and find nameservers for it.  Instead of making this policy change,
I have seen a new affirmation of the previous policy.

In addition, the coodinators agreed that administration of the d.
files should be done at the regional level, instead of through a
central authority.  The group felt that the regional coordinators
would have a better handle on what was required in their areas.
Instead of this change, there is a now a Domain Coordinator.  This
person has to approve all new entries into the d. maps.  I find this
to be outrageous as well.

Now it is true that Mel was speaking only for himself at this meeting.
It is also true that I am not on the map coordinators mailing list, so
I don't know what discussions went on in the interim.  I have only
seen some of those communications, and they have all disturbed me
greatly.  I understand that Mel was not speaking for the UUCP Project,
but I do not understand how a set of group concensus decisions like
the ones that were made in SF can be ignored so uniformly.

I have moved off the topic a little here - let me slide back to the
point.  You can register a domain yourself - or you can find some kind
soul to help you.  Moreover, you can register your domain with a
regional domain park, if there is one in your area.  The .US domain is
an alternative, but I feel the the centralized approach that they are
taking is a disservice to the community, and an abuse of the MX record
system - I don't recommend that approach.  If you want to register a
domain yourself, and do not know where to start, please feel free to
contact me.  I will be more than happy to help.
--
Shane P. McCarron			UUCP: ahby@bungia.mn.org
Systems Analyst				ATT: +1 612 224-9239

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (08/24/88)

In article <71@volition.dec.com>, vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
[Lots of stuff I agree with.  Also:]
> 3. NSFNet, BARRNet, and others.  I don't know much about these.
Mostly research networks with specific funding sources.  They set up
IP networks with gateways to the rest of the Internet.  You usually
have to be a member of a research consortium to get on them.

> 4. UUNet.  I believe that your domain name has to end in .uu.net for this,
Nope.  My forwarder is uunet; they're happy to forward for any domain
name you can get registered.  I hear they might even deal with the NIC
for you, but I'm not sure.  As you say, you do need to be a uunet
subscriber, which is a good deal.

> 5. Join the .US domain.  This costs nothing.  It's not a "domain name", since
>   they want you to register each of your hosts with them except in special
>   situations.  But it is - free - and it gets you an MX record.
Well, it is a domain name; it's just not a domain name under which you
can have other domain names.  It gets you an MX record, but you have
to arrange for a server yourself, just as in the UUCP Project case.
Being a uunet subscriber makes this easy....

[Well, vix, we seem to be quoting each other all over the net this
week.  :-)]
--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US
SMART HOUSE L.P.	uunet!jetson!john		(old uucp)

tgt@cbnews.ATT.COM (Tim Thompson) (08/24/88)

In article <44401@beno.seismo.CSS.GOV> rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) writes:
>Nonsense. There are hundreds of non-UUCP Zone members in the d.* files
>In fact, they probably outnumber the UUCP Zone members.

Yes, at the current time this is true, but not for long. We had a
meeting of the UUCP Project Coordinators (Mark Horton, Mel Pleasant,
and myself).

It was decided that domains appearing in the d.* files should by UUCP
Zone member ONLY! Non-UUCP Zone domains should go into the u.* files.
We are charging the UUCP Zone members, and as such, they need to be
separated out from the run-of-the-mill map entries. Any and all
services we provide, both now and in the future, will only be made
available to UUCP Zone members, and as such, we need to keep them in
their own separate set of map files.

As the Domain Coordinator for the UUCP Project, I am in the midst of an
audit of the d.* files. Any map entry in them that is not for a UUCP
Zone member will be moved to the u.* files by the regional
coordinators. We're not denying the publication of any NIC-recognized
domain, but we DO want to make sure that the d.* files  consists purely
of UUCP Zone members. This will be happening over the next couple of
months, and probably won't be finished until the end of the year.

>The d.* files are a joke. They should never have been separated from the
>u.* files. I don't think ANYBODY understands what goes where.
>
>--rick

As to the d.* files being a joke, that is your opinion, and you are
entitled to it. I strongly differ with this opinion.

Also, just because YOU don't understand what goes where doesn't mean
the nobody else does. I happen to understand it perfectly, as does Mark
and Mel, and most (if not all) of the regional coordinators.  We are in
the process of implementing the above; just because it doesn't exist
that way now doesn't mean we don't understand.

					Tim Thompson

rick@seismo.CSS.GOV (Rick Adams) (08/26/88)

I claim that no one knows what the d. files are for *including you* because
every six months their purpose changes. What happened to the
transition of moving all u. files into d. files? What happened to
not allowing domained addressed in the u. files? All these were "policy"
at one time. This months policy is to use them for your own INTERNAL
database, yet inflict it upon the rest of us.

The fundamental question is "Why should anyone else care if the sites are
in the UUCP zone or not?" If its running right, then no one
should be able to tell.

If you need a list of your own internal sites, keep one. Don't do
something assinine like partitioning the uucp maps into an
arbitrary division for YOUR convenience. Its a nuisance for the rest of
us.

There are 400 uunet sites I need to keep track of. I didn't do this
by creating a new set of map file prefixes. I keep a list of the
sites I need to worry about and if I need to look at their
map entry, I just look in the standard place.

It's simple and it works.

Everything you claim to need the d. files for can be done with the
old u.files.

--rick

karl@grebyn.com (Karl A. Nyberg) (08/26/88)

In article <946@cbnews.ATT.COM> tgt@cbnews.ATT.COM (Tim Thompson) writes:

>It was decided that domains appearing in the d.* files should by UUCP
>Zone member ONLY! Non-UUCP Zone domains should go into the u.* files.
>We are charging the UUCP Zone members, and as such, they need to be
>separated out from the run-of-the-mill map entries. Any and all
>services we provide, both now and in the future, will only be made
>available to UUCP Zone members, and as such, we need to keep them in
>their own separate set of map files.

I think that maybe there should be z.* for the UUCP ZONE, d.* for other
registered domains, and u.* for unregistered sites.  Whoever (and you listed
them) it is that made this decision clearly left a lot to be desired (in my
opinion).  There doesn't appear to me to be any benefit to the splitting
chosen.  I REALLY resent being called run-of-the-mill.  I can't understand
why you should have to separate out the ones that you charge - maybe it's
the only way to make them feel they are getting their money's worth? :-)

-- Karl --

Karl A. Nyberg          karl@grebyn.com, nyberg@ajpo.sei.cmu.edu
Grebyn Corporation                 karl%grebyn.com@haven.umd.edu
P. O. Box 1144                        {decuac,haven}!grebyn!karl
Vienna, VA 22180-1144                               703-281-2194

ahby@bungia.Bungia.MN.ORG (Shane P. McCarron) (08/26/88)

In article <946@cbnews.ATT.COM> tgt@cbnews.ATT.COM (Tim Thompson) writes:
>It was decided that domains appearing in the d.* files should by UUCP
>Zone member ONLY! Non-UUCP Zone domains should go into the u.* files.
>We are charging the UUCP Zone members, and as such, they need to be
>separated out from the run-of-the-mill map entries. Any and all
>services we provide, both now and in the future, will only be made
>available to UUCP Zone members, and as such, we need to keep them in
>their own separate set of map files.

Wait a minute...  Are you saying that you are keeping the d. and u.
files separate for bookkeeping purposes only?  When the d. files were
originally introduced to the net, it was explained as a migration
path.  Eventually, it was said, all sites would be within UUCP Zone
domains, and all domains would be in the d. files.  D. stands for
Domain, not Dumb enough to send money to people who do not earn it.
If you are using the d. files as an administrative tool, so that you
can keep track of who has paid you, I might suggest that you use
something like a database or a spreadsheet.  This is certainly more
appropriate.

>As the Domain Coordinator for the UUCP Project, I am in the midst of an
>audit of the d.* files. Any map entry in them that is not for a UUCP
>Zone member will be moved to the u.* files by the regional
>coordinators. We're not denying the publication of any NIC-recognized
>domain, but we DO want to make sure that the d.* files  consists purely
>of UUCP Zone members. This will be happening over the next couple of
>months, and probably won't be finished until the end of the year.

Again, I ask why?  Why do you want only people who have paid you to be
in the d. files?  Who gives you the right to do this, anyway?  Are you
not just holding something that is really part of the greater "Usenet
Community Trust?"  Aren't these maps just comprised of information that
citizens of the net have contributed for the good of the community?
And if so, I want to know what makes you, Mark Horton, and Mel
Pleasant, keepers of this information.  Moreover, what gives you the
right to charge people to publish information that they used to be
able to publish for free?!  I must be missing something...

>Also, just because YOU don't understand what goes where doesn't mean
>the nobody else does. I happen to understand it perfectly, as does Mark
>and Mel, and most (if not all) of the regional coordinators.  We are in
>the process of implementing the above; just because it doesn't exist
>that way now doesn't mean we don't understand.

I think we all know that you three understand it, and it may be that
many of the regional coordinators have been told some things, and that
they understand what they have been told.  I know that 2+2 equals 4,
but no one ever told me why!  I need to have some better reason than
"this is a way for us to keep track of who has paid us."  I don't keep
my accounting data on every system in the free world - you shouldn't
either!
--

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (08/29/88)

As quoted from <71@volition.dec.com> by vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie):
+---------------
| WHAT IF I DON'T GET A DOMAIN NAME?  Then you'll be one of the thousands of
| sites that outputs "From:" lines with "@myhost.UUCP" in it.  Big deal.
| Nobody will be able to reply to your mail unless they run pathalias and
| smail (and unless certain sites stop rewriting <foo@bar.UUCP> into
| <bar!foo@Sun.COM> on UUCP pass-though mail).  That's about it.
+---------------

I should note that the screwup was doubled when I recently replied to a
message that came through sun -- not only did it blow up by misparsing the
address that it had itself generated when it sent the original mail to me
(CWRU's software is now working correctly, I've checked) but it also decided
to reroute the return mail since the return hop was to "cwjcc".  Bad move;
it routed to "mandrill", but that machine is now "cwjcc" and CWRU's mail
admin had to field the bounced mail and send it to me.  (grrr -- sun is a
direct neighbor to mandrill/cwjcc, why the h*ll haven't they changed their
map entry yet?  Ed Rynes has been warning neighbor sites for a month now.)

I suspect the folks at sun just don't give a d*mn what their mail system
does, as long as it works over their Internet connections.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	    For comp.sources.misc send mail to ncoast!sources-misc

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (08/29/88)

	let me say up-front, that it drives me batty, too, when e-mail
	replies bounce or get lost in black holes somewhere ....

In article <12307@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
> As quoted from <71@volition.dec.com> by vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie):
> +---------------
> | WHAT IF I DON'T GET A DOMAIN NAME?  Then you'll be one of the thousands of
> | sites that outputs "From:" lines with "@myhost.UUCP" in it.  Big deal.
> | Nobody will be able to reply to your mail unless they run pathalias and
> | smail (and unless certain sites stop rewriting <foo@bar.UUCP> into
> | <bar!foo@Sun.COM> on UUCP pass-though mail).  That's about it.
> +---------------

> I should note that the screwup was doubled when I recently replied to a
> message that came through sun -- not only did it blow up by misparsing the
> address that it had itself generated when it sent the original mail to me
> (CWRU's software is now working correctly, I've checked) but it also decided
> to reroute the return mail since the return hop was to "cwjcc".  Bad move;
> it routed to "mandrill", but that machine is now "cwjcc" and CWRU's mail
> admin had to field the bounced mail and send it to me.  (grrr -- sun is a
> direct neighbor to mandrill/cwjcc, why the h*ll haven't they changed their
> map entry yet?  Ed Rynes has been warning neighbor sites for a month now.)
>
> I suspect the folks at sun just don't give a d*mn what their mail system
> does, as long as it works over their Internet connections.

	I'm getting a bit tired of this bashing of SUN by Paul and others
	and I wonder if they care to present a "fair" picture of the problems
	(can you say "both sides of the coin"?  I knew you could).

	My only claim to expertise with mailer-problems is as a user of (and
	wrestler with) e-mail for many years, so my words do not reflect
	expert knowledge of any particular mailers, but rather wisdom of
	old age based on "net-folklore" and years of mailer-abuse .... (-:

	So, for what it's worth, here are my 2 cents worth ...

1) SUN.COM does an incredibly valuable service to it's direct UUCP-neighbors
   (and their cousins several UUCP-hops away) by functioning as an gateway.
   no criticism should be voiced without, at least, throwing in a "thanks, SUN"
   also ...  there is something like "good will" and a hard-working
   "postmaster" behind all this, you know, and the bean-counters at SUN may
   even frown on him spending any resources which benefits other companies,
   mainly, so he may be "sticking his neck out" and be putting in some of
   his own time to make gateway-services possible at all.

   BTW, I don't think SUN is a "official gateway" (what ever that might
   be defined as) guaranteeing service of any kind to others - and the fact
   that some aspects of a gateway seem to work should not be construed that
   there exists a right to demand that all aspects work flawlesly ...

   not to say, one can't ask the postmaster in a friendly tone, sending him a
   (perceived) trouble-report, with a "pretty, please, could it be made to
   work somehow, that replies which my mailer generates to messages which
   came routed through your machine, reach the intended recipient?"

   There are also DEC-machines with the connectivity to serve as gateway,
   but try to use them sometimes and see what response you get when you
   send a "friendly" trouble report to the postmaster there... "we are not
   a gateway" is a friendly version.

2) now to respond to the particular gripe of Paul, mainly that SUN.COM
   converts addresses of the format "user@site.UUCP" to "site!user@SUN.COM".

   it is my understanding that UUCP is *NOT* a domain, and that, therefore,
   and address "user@site.UUCP" is not correct for an Internet site, and that,
   therefore, it would be incorrect for SUN.COM to forward mail to me on
   RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU (no UUCP-connections, strictly Internet) as coming
   from "user@site.UUCP" and that changing this to "site!user@SUN.COM" is
   the correct thing to do.  The problem is that "site" should not send
   out addresses in domain-notation, if it is not a site in a valid domain!
   (at least from the Internet RFC-882 point of view).

   So, when RASCAL gets "gatewayed" mail from SUN.COM, I'd have a *RIGHT* to
   complain if the return-address was not in the form that SUN provides...
   so what is SUN to do?  try to figure out a valid return-bang-path to
   "site" on the fly, when it forwards the message to RASCAL?  well, that
   would be nice, and might even be possible, but I don't know anyone that
   does it!  Alternatives?  SUN might send it as "user%site.uucp@sun.com",
   which even might work as a reply-address, but then, I think I have seen
   that even RASCAL has a sendmail.cf file which converts every address
   "user@site.uucp" into "site!user" .... so, one can probably disagree
   about that.

3) From a practical point of view, it is, of course, an incredible nuisance
   to have to worry about the validity of a reply-address which my mailer
   generates but I've learned to live with mail bouncing at various sites
   and then hand-knitting a path that works and trying it again.  I only
   wished all sites would bounce things back to me as fast as SUN.COM... (-:

   Sure it would be nice, if every UUCP-mailer could grock an address like
   "site!user", even if "site is not an immediate neighbor, but it would
   require a query to an "up-to-date" UUCP-sites database, or the smarts
   to forward the message to a site that has one for resolving the address..

Maybe you get the drift, Paul and Brandon:  you are getting something for
free here from SUN and others, so when you report some "perceived" problem,
why bash on people/sites in public the way you do?  why not send a private
e-mail message to the postmaster of the site you perceive as having a problem
and "ask IF" the symptoms you have noticed MIGHT indicate a problem they did
not know about yet or if they could clarify to you what you might be doing
wrong that causes the problem ....

it's all in the tone of voice, selection of the words, phrasing of the
sentence, that generates the (what we called "good vibes" in the '60s)
the good will towards others which has brought UUCP-mail into being and
which is needed to keep it going, to get problems fixed, to get things
improved.  Otherwise, you can use a pay-as-you-go service, where you PAY
for the right to yell at someone for not providing the service to which
(you think) you bought a right to expect...

I can forgive anyone words spoken in frustration and anger, but I will ignore
anyone who cannot be calmed down enough to have a friendly discussion with.

I am convinced that both Paul and Brandon are the type of people that would
put "their money where their mouth is" and do the work themselves to fix
whatever might need fixing to make the (perceived) problem at SUN go away;
but, alas, that is not possible, so how about calming down and finding
a way to make peace with this imperfect world?  how about an effort to put
some more "good vibes" into your posted articles and a little less "foam from
the mouth"?  that might even move someone from SUN to post their view of
the problem .... (-:

		Cheers,		---Werner

PS:  ....OF COURSE, you can ignore my articles but "at your own risk" ...(-:

	MAIL flames to me, POST rational follow-ups to the group, please.
--
-------------------->PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS<---------------------
(INTERNET)	werner%rascal.ics.utexas.edu@cs.utexas.edu

rynes@isis.CWRU.Edu (Edward M. Rynes Esq.) (08/29/88)

In article <12307@ncoast.UUCP> allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) writes:
>(CWRU's software is now working correctly, I've checked)

Thank's, it only took me two years to get it right. :-)

>to reroute the return mail since the return hop was to "cwjcc".  Bad move;
>it routed to "mandrill", but that machine is now "cwjcc" and CWRU's mail
>admin had to field the bounced mail and send it to me.  (grrr -- sun is a
>direct neighbor to mandrill/cwjcc, why the h*ll haven't they changed their
>map entry yet?  Ed Rynes has been warning neighbor sites for a month now.)

>++Brandon

Sorry, but this is my fault.  I haven't changed my map entry yet. (It's
getting warm in here :-)  Also, Sun has dropped its UUCP connection to
CWRU (we are both on the InterNet) so we are no longer neighbors (in the
UUCP sense)  And one more thing, Mandrill is still up and running (for
three more days) so routing the mail through Mandrill should have worked.
(Mandrill probably trashed it. There's a reason why we're replacing it;-)

P.S.  Why hasn't ncoast switched over to cwjcc yet???
--
Edward M. Rynes  <rynes@isis.CWRU.Edu>            "I stepped up on the platform.
Jennings Computing Center                              The man gave me the news.

mark@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (08/30/88)

The UUCP Project provides a number of public services.  These services
include the u.* files in the UUCP map and the smail software.  We are
run by a group of volunteers, in order to keep our costs down to the
bare minimum.  However, we do have expenses, and we are unable to pay
for these out of our personal pockets.  In order to have representation
at necessary meetings, pay for our computer and phone bills, and other
misc expenses, we offered a new service: registration of ARPA domains
for UUCP based organizations.  We set up the UUCP Zone as a network of
UUCP organizations with domains, and set membership dues at $150/year
per organization.  (This is a tiny amount, less than $.50/day.  By
comparison, CSNET membership dues range from $5000/year to
$30,000/year, and BITNET and ARPANET cost even more.)  We were
concerned that some small organizations, such as one-person consulting
companies, might not be able to afford $150/year, so we set up parks to
allow an economy of scale at $50/year, or less, for 3rd level domains.
We've found that there isn't much interest in parks, people are either
unwilling to pay anything at all or they don't see any difference
between $150/year and smaller amounts.  We've had several tiny
organizations sign up at the $150/year rate for a 2nd level domain.

We also allow sites that already have their domains through someone
else, such as CSNET, to join the UUCP Zone for $50/year.  There are
also some complementary memberships, for example, ARPANET forwarders
have the option of joining for free, although some prefer to pay dues
anyway to show their support.  Our policy for d.* files has always been
that it consists of UUCP Zone members.  The u.* files were always for
uucp nodename connections.  Recently, due to public request, we decided
to allow dotted domain names in u.* files for organizations that have
not joined the UUCP Zone.  This costs us money, since otherwise some of
these folks might join the UUCP Zone at the $50 rate, but we judged
that connectivity and service were more important.  Now I'm seeing a
backlash we never anticipated: people are telling us that we're evil
commercial moneygrubbers when we're now offering a free service that
was never there before!

Our budget is very small, about $12K/year.  We get away with these tiny
figures by using volunteers.  I've never received any salary from the
UUCP Project, neither has anyone else.  Even so, we're hurting for
cash.  We recently had the disk die on stargate, our UNIX computer and
email contact point, and were unable to afford AT&T's rates to fix it.
Fortuntely, Convergent Technologies has donated another UNIX PC as a
backup, and it's back up and running with minimal interruption of
service.  The hassles of keeping the project going and the machine
running through a divorce, 4 involuntary moves, moving phone lines,
downtime, and so on are not exactly my idea of a vacation in Hawaii.
Frankly, I wouldn't mind having more time to spend with my children.

Frankly, I'm deeply hurt by all the UUCP Project bashing going on in
this newsgroup.  We are NOT a commercial enterprise.  We'd be a
nonprofit organization if we had the time and money to incorporate.
We're still working toward that goal.  We were founded because there
was no other way to get this service.  I still think we're operating on
a shoestring, and anybody who does it for less will have to get a
subsidy from somebody, possibly themselves.  The US domain, for
example, appears to be subsidized by DARPA and SRI.  If they are
willing to do it, I say more power to them.

I can't speak for Mel, Tim, or any of the other UUCP Project
volunteers, but to anyone who feels they can run the UUCP Zone or some
similar organization for less than our rates, perhaps they should stand
up and take on the task.  I am not here because I want money (I'm not
getting any) or power, or fame.  I'm here to ensure that the community
can send email to itself.

	Mark Horton
	Managing Director, the UUCP Project

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (08/30/88)

Werner Uhrig, apparently a newcomer to this particular discussion, says:
>2) now to respond to the particular gripe of Paul, mainly that SUN.COM
>   converts addresses of the format "user@site.UUCP" to "site!user@SUN.COM".

I have a feeling that they do things like site!user@Sun.COM if the mail
is being sent to an Internet site. All the mail I've ever seen come through
Sun has had the Frmom: line converted into a pure bang path. Here's why
that's Wrong:

>   it is my understanding that UUCP is *NOT* a domain, and that, therefore,
>   and address "user@site.UUCP" is not correct for an Internet site, and that,
>   therefore, it would be incorrect for SUN.COM to forward mail to me on
>   RASCAL.ICS.UTEXAS.EDU (no UUCP-connections, strictly Internet) as coming
>   from "user@site.UUCP" and that changing this to "site!user@SUN.COM" is
>   the correct thing to do.  The problem is that "site" should not send
>   out addresses in domain-notation, if it is not a site in a valid domain!
>   (at least from the Internet RFC-882 point of view).

I'm IN a valid domain!! Yet, without fail, Sun will merrily butcher my
From: lines if I should decide to route something through them. No! No!

>Maybe you get the drift, Paul and Brandon:  you are getting something for
>free here from SUN and others, so when you report some "perceived" problem,
>why bash on people/sites in public the way you do?

To spread the word. See, there's this mutual trust thing. All sites on
the UUCP net trust all the other sites to NOT do nasty things to mail
that's passing through. When a major player like Sun breaks this trust,
some people will want to tell everyone else about it.

Me, I just take pains to avoid Sun. It makes me happy since I don't
wind up with broken headers and it makes them happy since they don't
have to field my traffic.

I'm quite certain, though, that my mailer won't butcher the headers
of messages from Sun. I wonder if they appreciate that.

In article <998@cbnews.ATT.COM> mark@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>This costs us money, since otherwise some of
>these folks might join the UUCP Zone at the $50 rate, but we judged
>that connectivity and service were more important.

No, it doesn't cost you any more money than normal listings do.
I'm personally responsible for getting three sites (so far; more are
coming) into the US domain. All three are sites that already had map
entries and that would NOT have payed $150 to enter the UUCP Zone.

I don't say you're evil commercial moneygrubbers. Surely, you ARE
providing a service. But don't even try to pretend that there aren't
alternatives. Entering the US domain is just a bit less painless than
utilizing the UUCP Project, and the truly masochistic can deal directly
with the NIC. You are simply one of a number of options.

>The US domain, for
>example, appears to be subsidized by DARPA and SRI.  If they are
>willing to do it, I say more power to them.

Nearly all of the US domain administration is performed by ONE individual
at ISI. She's not getting paid for her time, either. All that DARPA and
SRI did was approve the creation of the domain. If the US domain is in
any way subsidized, it's by ISI. They provide the nameservers. Somehow
I doubt that that counts.

ebauman@uceng.UC.EDU (evan bauman) (08/30/88)

In article <5349@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) writes:
> In article <998@cbnews.ATT.COM> mark@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
> >This costs us money, since otherwise some of
> >these folks might join the UUCP Zone at the $50 rate, but we judged
> >that connectivity and service were more important.
>
> No, it doesn't cost you any more money than normal listings do.
> I'm personally responsible for getting three sites (so far; more are
> coming) into the US domain. All three are sites that already had map
> entries and that would NOT have payed $150 to enter the UUCP Zone.
>
> I don't say you're evil commercial moneygrubbers. Surely, you ARE
> providing a service. But don't even try to pretend that there aren't
> alternatives. Entering the US domain is just a bit less painless than
> utilizing the UUCP Project, and the truly masochistic can deal directly
> with the NIC. You are simply one of a number of options.
>
> >The US domain, for
> >example, appears to be subsidized by DARPA and SRI.  If they are
> >willing to do it, I say more power to them.
>
> Nearly all of the US domain administration is performed by ONE individual
> at ISI. She's not getting paid for her time, either. All that DARPA and
> SRI did was approve the creation of the domain. If the US domain is in
> any way subsidized, it's by ISI. They provide the nameservers. Somehow
> I doubt that that counts.

Just wanted to contribute my dealings with the UUCP maps.

Notre Dame's computers are listed in the u* maps.  At least, the Unix
boxes that handle mail with uniques names are listed.  I sent in
all the entries to Mel at Rutgers.  Notre Dame also has an entry in
d* that lists all the uucp gateways to our sub-domains.  I also
sent in that one.

We are an internet site now, but previously had the u* listings only.
In no case have we ever exchanged documents/money with the UUCP Project.
We may be wrong/unethical/whatever but I have the feeling that we are
not alone.

Incidentally, I wanted to pass on my sincere thanks to Mel and his
staff at Rutgers that maintain the maps.  You guys do more than your
share.  Thanks.

	Evan Bauman
	Dep't of Chem. Eng.
	Univ. of Notre Dame   (posting from U. Cin.)
	evan@ndcheg.cheg.nd.edu

ahby@com2sun.C2S.MN.ORG (15Shane P. McCarron) (08/31/88)

Before we start this, let me say that I really do applaud the CONCEPT
behind the UUCP Project.  UUCP Zone sites do need to become real
Internet citizens in some way, and sites that don't think this is a
priority still need to have some way of being known to the rest of the
world.  The UUCP Project satisfies these goals, but not in a way that I
consider to be maximally beneficial.

Now...  We come here not to bury the UUCP Project, but to criticize
it, reform it, and if necessary, destroy it utterly:

In article <998@cbnews.ATT.COM> mark@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>The UUCP Project provides a number of public services.  These services
>include the u.* files in the UUCP map and the smail software.

The u. files are administered not by the UUCP Project, but by a group
of volunteers loosely coordinated by the UUCP Project.  This is an
important point.  These volunteers do not necessarily give a damn
about the policies set down by the Project, although they are
ostensibly a part of it.  This is considerably different than the
point below - what Mark should have said was "The UUCP Project
coordinators are volunteers"

>We are
>run by a group of volunteers, in order to keep our costs down to the
>bare minimum.

The minimum cost for a project like this should be zero.  You are
storing the maps at Rutgers, and I doubt that they are charging you
for storage or connect time.  Your mail connection point, stargate, is
a 3B1 (as mentioned below), and does consume some resources.  My 3B1
is costing me $25 per month in electricity, and another $50 per month
in phone lines.  However, it would cost me much of this regardless of
whether it was the local hub for the MN.ORG domain park or not (see below).

>In order to have representation
>at necessary meetings, pay for our computer and phone bills, and other
>misc expenses,

Wait a second...  You are using this money to get to meetings?  What
kind of meetings?  If you mean Usenix, your organizations (AT&T,
Rutgers?) usually pay for this kind of thing, don't they?  But I
digress...

>we offered a new service: registration of ARPA domains
>for UUCP based organizations.

Whoa!  Wait again!  You offered this registration service SOLELY so
that you could cover your expenses?  Well, I guess I can see why you
wouldn't want to cut the fees.  Not very altruistic or flattering,
Mark.

>We set up the UUCP Zone as a network of
>UUCP organizations with domains, and set membership dues at $150/year
>per organization.

As a fully arbitrary figure.  Also, it wasn't called dues, but rather
a registration fee.  Moreover, while it was understood that this money
was going to be an annual fee, it was implied that it barely covered
the expenses of setting up and maintaining the domain from the UUCP
Project perspective.  Having now set up and maintained about 40 domains
myself, I reject this as ludicrous.

>We were
>concerned that some small organizations, such as one-person consulting
>companies, might not be able to afford $150/year, so we set up parks to
>allow an economy of scale at $50/year, or less, for 3rd level domains.

Try again Mark.  I was concerned, bitched to the group, and was
allowed to establish the first park.  You asked me to set the fees,
suggested stronly that it be high enough so that you could get $25 per
subdomain, and let me run with it.  (I do thank you for helping me
out, and allowing me to help debug your software, but that is another
topic.)  I set the dues for this park at $20, and sent the UUCP Project
$250 to cover our initial registration fee and 10 subdomains.

>We've found that there isn't much interest in parks, people are either
>unwilling to pay anything at all or they don't see any difference
>between $150/year and smaller amounts.

I know that this is just a personal nit, but you have never encouraged
ANYONE to set up a park.  As far as I know there is only one running
successfully - mine.  There are 40 members (that's $2000 in UUCP
Project Dollars :-).  I am now charging these sites $25 per year for
unlimited long distance and local electronic mail, a domain name,
source archives, automatic pathalias database generation, mail
routing, and several other "services".  Certainly more than the UUCP
Project can say that it provides for its $150.  This is all done via
volunteer labor, and the money goes to (maybe) cover the long distance phone
bills I incur.

I would maintain that there is a lot of interest in parks.  They are
what was intended by the MX system in the first place.  No one wanted
every measley PC running UUPC to get an MX record!  That is an abuse
of the nameservers, and a disservice to the community.  Economy of
scale (to use one of your terms) dictates that parks be encouraged
over singular domains.  The efficiency of having a regional entry and
exit point for communications outweighs the disadvantage of waiting an
additional 10 minutes for your mail.  (If anyone out there is
interested in establishing a regional domain park, please drop me a
line.  I have a 10 page paper describing the entire system, as well as
software to make it all work smoothly.)

>We've had several tiny
>organizations sign up at the $150/year rate for a 2nd level domain.

Only because they didn't know better.  I have talked to some of these
small sites, and they were pretty surprised to find that they
could have done it all themselves, for free.

>We also allow sites that already have their domains through someone
>else, such as CSNET, to join the UUCP Zone for $50/year.

You guys are really too much.  What do you mean, allow?!  You are
providing a service to the community, and part of that service is
keeping the community informed about all the sites which are reachable
via UUCP.  You should be begging these people to tell you about them,
not charging them for absolutely no services whatsoever!  This is
so...  so...  I can't even think of a term.  I am astounded that
anyone could be so pompous as to make this statement.  And I am the
most pompous person I have ever met.

>There are
>also some complementary memberships, for example, ARPANET forwarders
>have the option of joining for free, although some prefer to pay dues
>anyway to show their support.

Here now.  Here is a service!  I knew I could find one!  Allowing
gateway points to be registered in the maps.  Good work, guys.  I hope
that you are pursuing all of these feverishly.

>Our policy for d.* files has always been
>that it consists of UUCP Zone members.  The u.* files were always for
>uucp nodename connections.

BZZZZZZZ!!!  Wrong Mark - would you like to try for Double Jeopardy,
where the prizes can really add up?  The original policy called for
the d. files to contain domains, and the u. files to contain uucp
sites that do not have a registered domain.  It never even occured to
you people that anyone would not want to shell out $150 every year
for somehting that they could achieve themselves.  Parks are yet
another example.  The original letters I have from you (I hope I still
have them) indicate that we (the park) owe the UUCP Project for every
additional line we generate of pathalias output after the first three.
This is insane!  Who are you people to charge us for storage on every
machine in the world?!  Are you reimbursing these people?  Of course
not.  Is the park providing these people with a service by listing all
of the gateway sites within it?  Of course it is.

>Recently, due to public request, we decided
>to allow dotted domain names in u.* files for organizations that have
>not joined the UUCP Zone.  This costs us money, since otherwise some of
>these folks might join the UUCP Zone at the $50 rate, but we judged
>that connectivity and service were more important.

Gosh, what a bunch of great guys you are.  I'm sorry I didn't see it
sooner.  You are going to allow us to list our information in a PUBLIC
DATABASE THAT BELONGS TO THE COMMUNITY?  Who the hell do you people
think you are?  I mean really!  We take a little initiative, try to
improve out connectivity and not bother anyone about it, send our map
update to our regional coordinator, and viola!  We are declared
anathema by the UUCP gods, and sentenced to the purgatory of the u.
files.

>Now I'm seeing a
>backlash we never anticipated: people are telling us that we're evil
>commercial moneygrubbers when we're now offering a free service that
>was never there before!

Give me a break!  Was never there before?  It was always there.  Let's
not quibble over the blatantly obvious - the merely obvious will do
just fine.  True, some have called you evil money grubbers, and even a
commericial enterprise.  I haven't, but I would have, had I thought of
it first. :-)

>Our budget is very small, about $12K/year.  We get away with these tiny
>figures by using volunteers.

Let's stress the USING aspect of this.  These volunteers are
maintaining the maps, checking them for accuracy, contacting site
administrators to resolve conflicts, and posting the updated maps to
rutgers for disctibution - themselves - for free!  What are you doing
to help them?  Oh sure, you offer to reimburse them for phone time if
they incur any costs.  Mostly that is their employer's phone time, and
that's free.  The $1.50 in phone bills is not really going to bother
anyone.  I'm not impressed, guys.

>I've never received any salary from the
>UUCP Project, neither has anyone else.  Even so, we're hurting for
>cash.  We recently had the disk die on stargate, our UNIX computer and
>email contact point, and were unable to afford AT&T's rates to fix it.
>The hassles of keeping the project going and the machine
>running through a divorce, 4 involuntary moves, moving phone lines,
>downtime, and so on are not exactly my idea of a vacation in Hawaii.
>Frankly, I wouldn't mind having more time to spend with my children.

Please Mark - I feel for you, and I am sorry that you had such a difficult
marriage/divorce.  Everyone has troubles, but yours are more severe than
mine have ever been.  However, I don't see this as a reason to charge
people money.  That is the subject here, although I would be more than
happy to discuss the other off line.  Back to that - your box died.
Yeah?  Well, that was your box - your responsibility.  If my domain
park hub died, I wouldn't feel right asking each member for an
additional $35 to help me bring it back up.  This is not proper use of
UUCP Project funds, in my opinion.

>We are NOT a commercial enterprise.  We'd be a
>nonprofit organization if we had the time and money to incorporate.
>We're still working toward that goal.

Yeah, I understand.  That $90 and twenty minutes is such a bitch.

>We were founded because there
>was no other way to get this service.

BZZZZZZ!!!  Blew the Double Jeopardy too!  There has always been a way
to establish this service.  You want to really serve the community?
Tell everyone how to set it up themselves.  Document the steps and
post it.  Provide the OPTION of having people contact you and set up
their domain through you for a nominal, one time fee.  This will be
much better received than your current system.  Have you ever noticed
that you didn't get the 5000 applicants you expected?  Have you seen
the traffic in this group where people say "Why do I have to register
and pay these people so I can run smail?"  You misled people, you
confused people, and now you are paying for it.  Straighten up and
take it like a man.

>I still think we're operating on
>a shoestring, and anybody who does it for less will have to get a
>subsidy from somebody, possibly themselves.

Or have to do it right.  More about that later.

>I can't speak for Mel, Tim, or any of the other UUCP Project
>volunteers, but to anyone who feels they can run the UUCP Zone or some
>similar organization for less than our rates, perhaps they should stand
>up and take on the task.

Hmmm...  Maybe some big site out there would be willing to take this
on?  Some site that is not controlled by a major corporation, that
isn't subject to politics?  Some site that is connected to everyone,
or will be eventually?  Someone like... say... uunet?  Rick?

>I am not here because I want money (I'm not
>getting any) or power, or fame.  I'm here to ensure that the community
>can send email to itself.

Well...  I am certainly interested in the communities ability to send
email, but I'm not goint to kid anyone.  I am in this for the fame and
the power.  That is the only reason to do something when you're not
getting paid for it.  Sure, there's altruism, but that is usually
just a front - it looks good on paper, but having practically everyone
in the industry know your name, know that you are wonderful, and feel
like you have done something for them can't be all bad.
--
Shane P. McCarron			ATT:	+1 612 452-9522
Project Manager				UUCP:	ahby@c2s.mn.org

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (08/31/88)

In article <998@cbnews.ATT.COM> mark@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>The UUCP Project provides a number of public services.  These services
>include the u.* files in the UUCP map and the smail software.  We are
>run by a group of volunteers, in order to keep our costs down to the
>bare minimum.

Mark, there are a variety of public services on the net.  You call the
u.* files and the smail software public services.  I agree, they are,
and I thank you for providing them.  However, there are many public
services on the net: the time of the moderators; the news software;
tools no one would want to do without, such as rn, patch, compress,
etc.  I am also thankful for those services.  But no one bills me for them.

You provided us with a very valuable one-time service; you filed a
domain registration for us and worked to see that it got set up
properly.  For this service, it was appropriate for you to charge a
fee, and easy for me to justify it.  However, you do not provide
significant continuing services; map updates are for the most part
done by volunteers whose expenses are not covered by your funds.  I
cannot justify paying you a continuing fee to my accounting people,
and neither can anyone else who is honest with their accounting
people.

>  However, we do have expenses, and we are unable to pay
>for these out of our personal pockets.  In order to have representation
>at necessary meetings, pay for our computer and phone bills, and other
>misc expenses, we offered a new service: registration of ARPA domains
>for UUCP based organizations.

It is neither appropriate nor necessary for the members of the UUCP
Zone to pay for your computer and phone bill, or for there even to be
a stargate.com machine.  Every machine that runs a router and has a
complete database has the full set of maps on line.  And why is it
called "stargate"?  The Stargate project, while technically
interesting and well-intentioned, just isn't economically feasible
when compared to something like UUNET.  I also don't see what the
value was for us to pay so Lauren Weinstein could go to Usenix.

There are many groups of volunteers on the net: people providing
software, Internet gateways, public access machines, etc.  Only one
group expects to have their way paid to go to Usenix.

>  We set up the UUCP Zone as a network of
>UUCP organizations with domains, and set membership dues at $150/year
>per organization.  (This is a tiny amount, less than $.50/day.  By
>comparison, CSNET membership dues range from $5000/year to
>$30,000/year, and BITNET and ARPANET cost even more.)

This is an irrelevant comparison.  You do not provide a network; you
take care of paperwork, and that's all you do.  It's up to individual
domain registrants to find an Internet forwarder; that Internet
forwarder, not the UUCP Project, provides connectivity to the
Internet.  It's up to individual sites to line up UUCP neighbors and
pay their phone bills.  When seismo went away, you people advised me
to switch to uunet; you did not inform me that uunet could provide all
the services you provide at no additional cost.  You just went ahead
and billed us.

>We've found that there isn't much interest in parks, people are either
>unwilling to pay anything at all or they don't see any difference
>between $150/year and smaller amounts.  We've had several tiny
>organizations sign up at the $150/year rate for a 2nd level domain.

Mark, you apparently don't understand how accounting departments work
in many organizations.  I have to justify every payment I request our
company to make.  There would be no difference between a $150/year and
a $50/year bill.  And you don't do anything to help people set up
domain parks; you just say that if someone DID figure out all the
necessary stuff to set one up, you'd add information DESCRIBING the
setup for $50/year.  Gag.  Of course no one wants to do this.

To get a PO for ANY amount of money involves hassle and red tape.
There isn't a significant amount of difference between $150 and
$50/year except for individual consultants.

>Now I'm seeing a
>backlash we never anticipated: people are telling us that we're evil
>commercial moneygrubbers when we're now offering a free service that
>was never there before!

It's because your fee structure is unjustified, and your policies are
actually discouraging domainization.  I have no objection to a fee for
filing a domain registration.  But I don't see why I should pay to
get your personal computer fixed (that's what stargate is, in any case).
Whether you seek a profit or not, if you're charging fees and
providing services, you're a business.  Customers don't care about
your expenses, your divorce, or your children.  They only care about
whether the fees are justified for the services rendered.  If they
aren't, you'll lose them.

>Frankly, I wouldn't mind having more time to spend with my children.

Then do so.  No one is indispensible as a volunteer.

>I am not here because I want money (I'm not
>getting any) or power, or fame.  I'm here to ensure that the community
>can send email to itself.

If this is REALLY true, then you will not remove map entries that
provide significant connectivity to the net based on whether someone
has paid you or not.

--
- Joe Buck  {uunet,ucbvax,pyramid,<smart-site>}!epimass.epi.com!jbuck
jbuck@epimass.epi.com	Old Arpa mailers: jbuck%epimass.epi.com@uunet.uu.net

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (09/01/88)

Shane and all,

It was my impression that the UUCP Zone intended to offer additional
services to its customers in the near term, and this was what the
$150.00 / year was to go for.  Perhaps Mark or Tim might comment on
such possibilities.

Eliot
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (09/01/88)

>I would maintain that there is a lot of interest in parks.  They are
>what was intended by the MX system in the first place.  No one wanted
>every measley PC running UUPC to get an MX record!  That is an abuse
>of the nameservers, and a disservice to the community.

Er, how's that? The only site that could possibly be inconvenienced by
a lot of MX records is the site where the nameserver database is stored.
Each site in a domain may have a unique entry, or maybe there's a
wildcard record. In either case, a query will use exactly the same amount
of network bandwidth.

In fact, far from being an abuse of nameservers, having a unique record
for every site in a domain results in greater performance. Internet mailers
can tell instantly whether a site is valid (the server will return an
"unknown" response), rather than possibly waiting a day or two to get
an error message from the "hub" of a domain.

ahby@bungia.Bungia.MN.ORG (Shane P. McCarron) (09/01/88)

In article <5372@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wisner@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Bill Wisner) writes:
>>I would maintain that there is a lot of interest in parks.  They are
>>what was intended by the MX system in the first place.  No one wanted
>>every measley PC running UUPC to get an MX record!  That is an abuse
>>of the nameservers, and a disservice to the community.
>
>Er, how's that? The only site that could possibly be inconvenienced by
>a lot of MX records is the site where the nameserver database is stored.
>Each site in a domain may have a unique entry, or maybe there's a
>wildcard record. In either case, a query will use exactly the same amount
>of network bandwidth.

Well, you're right.  Actually, that is what I was referring to.  There
should be several nameservers for any one site, so there would be
several machines with thousands of MX records.  Moreover, these are
difficult to maintain; if there is an MX for every site, then
every time you add a machine on your LAN you have to send a message to
some volunteer coordinator so they can add an MX to a bunch of
machines around the network.  This is NOT what was intended.  To quote
some material just recently provided me by Rick Adams:

RFC 1033                DOMAIN OPERATIONS GUIDE            November 1987

   An entire domain of hosts not connected to the Internet may want
   their mail to go through a mail gateway that knows how to deliver
   mail to them.  If they would like mail addressed to any host in the
   domain FOO.COM to go through the mail gateway they might use:

           FOO.COM.        MX       10     RELAY.CS.NET.
           *.FOO.COM.      MX       20     RELAY.CS.NET.

RFC 974                                                     January 1986
Mail Routing and the Domain System

Minor Special Issues

   There are a couple of special issues left out of the preceding
   section because they complicated the discussion.  They are treated
   here in no particular order.

   Wildcard names, those containing the character '*' in them, may be
   used for mail routing.  There are likely to be servers on the network
   which simply state that any mail to a domain is to be routed through
   a relay. For example, at the time that this RFC is being written, all
   mail to hosts in the domain IL is routed through RELAY.CS.NET.  This
   is done by creating a wildcard RR, which states that *.IL has an MX
   of RELAY.CS.NET.

>In fact, far from being an abuse of nameservers, having a unique record
>for every site in a domain results in greater performance. Internet mailers
>can tell instantly whether a site is valid (the server will return an
>"unknown" response), rather than possibly waiting a day or two to get
>an error message from the "hub" of a domain.

It MAY result in greater mail reliability, but certainly not greater
performance.  I maintain that it will reduce reliability, because
if I add a new node to my network and send mail to you from it before
the MX records are updated you cannot respond to me.  This is the aspect
that I call a disservice to the community.  There is no way that this
volunteer coordinator I speak of could handle the load of new nodes that
must be being added to LANs all over the world every day.

Also, it is unlikely that you are going to wait a day or two for the
unknown host message to be returned.  It should be more like a few
hours.  I realize that this is a terrible hardship, but you are
already waiting several hours for the material to get its butt off of
you node and out into the Internet.  The citizens of the UUCP Zone
have this problem every day - why can't the citizens of fully
connected networks put up with it as well?
--

karl@triceratops.cis.ohio-state.edu (Karl Kleinpaste) (09/02/88)

ahby@bungia.bungia.mn.org writes:
   It MAY result in greater mail reliability, but certainly not greater
   performance.  I maintain that it will reduce reliability, because
   if I add a new node to my network and send mail to you from it before
   the MX records are updated you cannot respond to me.

If your new node is named SOME-NEW-HOST.FOO.COM, and the nameserver
providing service for FOO.COM contains an MX record such as you had as
an example previously, e.g.,

*.FOO.COM	IN	MX	10 RELAY.CS.NET

then it will work just fine, actually.  You can add a node, boot it,
and 30 seconds later send out mail from it which is immediately
perfectly reply-able by anyone anywhere.

--Karl

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (09/05/88)

> I can't speak for Mel, Tim, or any of the other UUCP Project
> volunteers, but to anyone who feels they can run the UUCP Zone or some
> similar organization for less than our rates, perhaps they should stand
> up and take on the task.

OK. UUNET will provide all of the necessary computer and telephone
resources necessary to maintain the UUCP map.  I don't see any need for
a travel budget, so I won't fund that. Given the existing volunteer labor,
that brings the net cost to maintaining the maps to virtually zero.

In addition, UUNET will register a domain and provide a name server for
anyone willing to pay a one time fee of $35. (Of course UUNET
subscribers will not have to pay any additional fee). You will still
need to find your own forwarder. If you are connected to a machine
directly connected to uunet AND THAT MACHINE CONSENTS, uunet will also
act as your forwarder, via that directly connected machine.

--rick