[comp.mail.uucp] parks and MX records

mark@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (09/02/88)

>>I would maintain that there is a lot of interest in parks.  They are
>>what was intended by the MX system in the first place.  No one wanted
>>every measley PC running UUPC to get an MX record!  That is an abuse
>>of the nameservers, and a disservice to the community.
>
>Er, how's that? The only site that could possibly be inconvenienced by
>a lot of MX records is the site where the nameserver database is stored.
>Each site in a domain may have a unique entry, or maybe there's a
>wildcard record. In either case, a query will use exactly the same amount
>of network bandwidth.

While the size of the nameserver database is a concern, a far more
important concern is the load on the forwarders.  A typical forwarder
implements forwarding for each domain by adding a line to sendmail.cf.
If there are more than a few dozen such lines, the sendmail.cf file
gets large, and more of a problem, mail gets slow, since sendmail.cf
is processed sequentially for each piece of mail.  Thus, forwarders
are a critical resource.  Several forwarders are running software that
is smarter, but this require an enhanced sendmail or the equivalent.

Another potentially high cost for a second level domain is inter-network
coordination.  If you consider the four major American academic networks:
DDN, CSNET, BITNET, and UUCP, using the domain system independently,
these networks are sharing the 2nd level name space under COM, EDU, GOV,
MIL, ORG, and NET.  In theory, each of them should have a full list of
each others 2nd level domains, so they know which net to forward a piece
of mail to.  In practice, most of these get bumped upstairs to DDN as
the ultimate authority, until we get something better working.

By using parks, we can get several small organizations under one 2nd
level domain.  The costs above go with 2nd level domains, so there is
an economy of scale.

	Mark

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (09/02/88)

Still no good. Nameservers and MX forwarders are totally seperate. A
nameserver can have a unique record for every host, while an MX forwarder
simply special-cases everything in the domain and transfers it to the
domain's gateway. In this scenario, the forwarder will never receive a
piece of mail for an invalid host.

Any Internet site can be a forwarder. The idea that only a few specially-
equipped installations can do it is a myth. All it takes is a friendly
postmaster.

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (09/02/88)

>Any Internet site can be a forwarder. The idea that only a few specially-
>equipped installations can do it is a myth. All it takes is a friendly
>postmaster.

And current, working, properly-installed software.

I claim that my first sentence proves that your first two sentences
are wrong.

	/rich "I see a .cf file and think of me" $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.

ahby@com2serv.C2S.MN.ORG (ahby) (09/02/88)

In article <5384@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wisner@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Bill Wisner) writes:
>Still no good. Nameservers and MX forwarders are totally seperate. A
>nameserver can have a unique record for every host, while an MX forwarder
>simply special-cases everything in the domain and transfers it to the
>domain's gateway. In this scenario, the forwarder will never receive a
>piece of mail for an invalid host.

>Any Internet site can be a forwarder. The idea that only a few specially-
>equipped installations can do it is a myth. All it takes is a friendly
>postmaster.

I'm not disagreeing, but feel I should point out that it takes a
little more than congeniality to make an Internet site a forwarder.
You need the right version of sendmail, bind, and someone who really
understandards sendmail.cf to make it work correctly.  Even then, the
number of sites who will bash your headers, munge your From: lines,
etc... is large, and many people are just not willing to change.  They
won't believe that you are running an RFC 976 conforming mailer, and
they are not interested in your reasons for wanting them to drop
everything and make their machine work they way you perceive as right.
These people exist (think god), but they are rare.
--
Shane P. McCarron			ATT:	+1 612 452-9522
Project Manager				UUCP:	ahby@c2s.mn.org

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (09/03/88)

>>Any Internet site can be a forwarder. The idea that only a few specially-
>>equipped installations can do it is a myth. All it takes is a friendly
>>postmaster.

>And current, working, properly-installed software.

Well.. OK. Fine. Picky, picky, picky.

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (09/06/88)

/ comp.mail.uucp / ahby@com2serv.C2S.MN.ORG (ahby) / Sep  2, 1988 /
>... it takes a
>little more than congeniality to make an Internet site a forwarder.
>You need the right version of sendmail, bind, and someone who really
>understandards sendmail.cf to make it work correctly.

Sendmail is not the only mailer out there.  For exmple, I've been
administering MMDF here for years, on a site that talks to nameservers, has
numerous UUCP connections (both smart and simple-minded), and acts as a
forwarder for several domains.  I still view sendmail.cf as an OPS-5
program that has been run through sed using a rot-13'ed edit script and
then hashed into 2-character words...

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,gargoyle,att}!nucsrl!gore