[comp.mail.uucp] Mail survey #1

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (08/30/88)

Perhaps all this discussion can result in some conclusions on a
few basic questions.  As it is, each administrator seems to sit back
and come up with what he thinks is right.  The rfc's are either
ignored or don't seem to address the problems people have.  It might
help if we had something we could point to and say "95% of sites
disagree with you on x - perhaps you should conform".

1) Should active rerouting be done? (ie, should a xxx!yyy!zzz route be
changed to www!yyy!zzz if the maps that a site has say it is cheaper)

2) Should a 100% correct rfc 822 compatible From: line be modified if
it is just passing through a site?  Assume registered domain names for all
hosts involved.

3) If yes to #2, what format should be used to rewrite
 "From: user@site.com":

a) "From: user%site.com@thissite.edu"

b) "From: @thissite.edu:user@site.com".

c) other

3)  Should a internet to uucp gateway rewrite From: lines into ! format?

4)  What should a uucp to internet gateway do with From: lines of the
format "From: user@site.uucp".

a) leave them alone

b) Change to "From: user%site.uucp@thissite.com"

c) Change to "From: site!user@thissite.com"

d) other

5) What should a uucp to internet gateway do with From: lines of the
form site1!site2!user?

a) leave them alone

b) Change to "From: user%site2%site1@thissite.com"

c) Change to "From: site1!site2!user@thissite.com"

d) other

6) Should the address "zzz!user%site.com" be sent to site.com or zzz?
(ie, what should have precedence)

7) Should sites with registered domain names put these names in the uucp
maps?

Mail your results to me.  Additional questions are welcome.

--
Jon Zeeff      			Branch Technology,
umix!b-tech!zeeff  		zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (09/04/88)

I received 27 responses to this survey.  A few responses were difficult
to interpret, but the results are roughly:

1) Should active rerouting be done? (ie, should a xxx!yyy!zzz route be
changed to www!yyy!zzz if the maps that a site has say it is cheaper)

79% No, 14% Yes, 7% Maybe

2) Should a 100% correct rfc 822 compatible From: line be modified if
it is just passing through a site?  Assume registered domain names for all
hosts involved.

96% No, 4 % Maybe

3)  Should a internet to uucp gateway rewrite From: lines into ! format?

56% No, 36% Yes, 8% Maybe

4)  What should a uucp to internet gateway do with From: lines of the
format "From: user@site.uucp".

a) leave them alone 24%

b) Change to "From: user%site.uucp@thissite.com" 21%

c) Change to "From: site!user@thissite.com" 41%

d) other 10%

5) What should a uucp to internet gateway do with From: lines of the
form site1!site2!user?

a) leave them alone 16%

b) Change to "From: user%site2%site1@thissite.com" 24%

c) Change to "From: site1!site2!user@thissite.com" 48%

d) other  12%

6) Should the address "zzz!user%site.com" be sent to site.com or zzz?
(ie, what should have precedence)

57% for zzz, 22% for site.com

7) Should sites with registered domain names put these names in the uucp
maps?

88% Yes, 4% No, 8% Maybe

My analysis (for what it's worth) is in another article.  Raw data is
available on request.

--
Jon Zeeff      			Branch Technology,
umix!b-tech!zeeff  		zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

--
Jon Zeeff      			Branch Technology,
umix!b-tech!zeeff  		zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (09/04/88)

> 1) Should active rerouting be done? (ie, should a xxx!yyy!zzz route be
> changed to www!yyy!zzz if the maps that a site has say it is cheaper)
>
> 79% No, 14% Yes, 7% Maybe

Clearly the majority does not want active rerouting.  Sites that want
to do so should keep things working by marking all links as DEAD in
the map entrys that they circulate.

> 2) Should a 100% correct rfc 822 compatible From: line be modified if

The conclusion is that From lines should not be touched if they are ok (ie,
certainly don't create something like "user%origin.com@thissite.edu"
from "user@origin.com").  If there are unregistered uucp sites, convert
to the form:

From: site2!site!user@thissite.com

(even if rfc976 suggests you don't)

> 6) Should the address "zzz!user%site.com" be sent to site.com or zzz?
> (ie, what should have precedence)

Most people say zzz so let's standardize on that (and avoid creating things
like this whenever possible).

> 7) Should sites with registered domain names put these names in the uucp
> maps?

88% said yes.  The no answers mentioned that doing so might cause
mail to be routed completely via uucp (vs. being routed to the nearest
internet site), which might slow things down.

--

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (09/04/88)

In article <4748@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:

> > 1) Should active rerouting be done? (ie, should a xxx!yyy!zzz route be
> > changed to www!yyy!zzz if the maps that a site has say it is cheaper)
> >
> > 79% No, 14% Yes, 7% Maybe
> >

> Clearly the majority does not want active rerouting.  Sites that want
> to do so should keep things working by marking all links as DEAD in
> the map entrys that they circulate.

I don't understand how marking all links as DEAD helps.  Presumably,
a site that's doing active rerouting is using pathalias data to do so.
Mail traveling through the rerouting site does so because:

	1. The originating site routed the mail using pathalias data,
	   in which case the route probably will not be altered by
	   the rerouting site.  DEAD has no beneficial effect.

	2. The mail was routed "manually" by a human that rightly or
	   wrongly knows a good route.  DEAD has no effect whatsoever
	   on manual routing.

Explanation?

--
Greg Paris                    <gmp@rayssd.ray.com>
{decuac,gatech,necntc,sun,uiucdcs,ukma}!rayssd!gmp

                    NO KILL I

In article <3703@rayssd.ray.com> gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
>In article <4748@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>>
>> Clearly the majority does not want active rerouting.  Sites that want
>> to do so should keep things working by marking all links as DEAD in
>> the map entrys that they circulate.
>
>I don't understand how marking all links as DEAD helps.  Presumably,

Mail that was completely routed by up to date, consistent pathalias
data has never been a problem.  One problem is created when a site
thinks that it has better map info than the originating site.  Marking
links as DEAD avoids these sites and this problem.  Another problem
(which I don't have much sympathy for) is duplicate site names.  Many
people partially route an address by using site1!site2!user and letting
their mailer figure out how to get to site1.  Marking links as DEAD
avoids sites that will try to take short cuts to site2.

>	2. The mail was routed "manually" by a human that rightly or
>	   wrongly knows a good route.  DEAD has no effect whatsoever

By marking the links as DEAD, you have at least documented the
problem.  If someone ignores this information and uses completely
manual routing through nasty sites, they get what they asked for.

--
Jon Zeeff      			Branch Technology,
umix!b-tech!zeeff  		zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (09/05/88)

have no effect on mail routed using pathalias (thus marking links as
DEAD has no beneficial effect), in article <4750@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech
(Jon Zeeff) writes:

> Mail that was completely routed by up to date, consistent pathalias
> data has never been a problem.  One problem is created when a site
> thinks that it has better map info than the originating site.  Marking
> links as DEAD avoids these sites and this problem.  Another problem

I take from this that you are saying that it is OK to actively reroute
as long as you use up to date, consistent pathalias data.  I don't see
where your poll came to that conclusion.  In fact, I'd say that you are
DEAD (pun) wrong here, as most complaints on this subject have been
about rutgers, which supposedly has the most up to date pathalias info
of any site.

The results of your poll were interesting, but I still don't think your
conclusion that active rerouters should mark all links as DEAD makes
sense.  I also wonder what kind of enforcement mechanism you are going
to back up this directive (suggestion?, plea?) with.  Site admins that
reroute probably do it for what they think are good reasos.  What's
going to make them do what you and/or the majority want them to do?

--

jos@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Jos Vos) (09/05/88)

In article <4748@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
]
]The conclusion is that From lines should not be touched if they are ok (ie,
]certainly don't create something like "user%origin.com@thissite.edu"
]from "user@origin.com").  If there are unregistered uucp sites, convert
]to the form:
]
]From: site2!site!user@thissite.com
](even if rfc976 suggests you don't)
This means that we assume that everybody agrees on the precedence...
Did you know that even in documentation of mailers like Elm the
precedence is wrong? (I didn't check the code...).
Or am I wrong?

]> 6) Should the address "zzz!user%site.com" be sent to site.com or zzz?
]> (ie, what should have precedence)
]
]Most people say zzz so let's standardize on that (and avoid creating things
]like this whenever possible).
The address zzz!user%site.com isn't a valid RFC822 address, is it?
This means that the precedence of zzz!user@site.com and zzz!user%site.com
differ?

--
-- ######   Jos Vos   ######   Internet   jos@idca.tds.philips.nl   ######
-- ######             ######   UUCP         ...!mcvax!philapd!jos   ######

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (09/06/88)

In article <3710@rayssd.ray.com> gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
>have no effect on mail routed using pathalias (thus marking links as
>DEAD has no beneficial effect), in article <4750@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech
>(Jon Zeeff) writes:
>
>> Mail that was completely routed by up to date, consistent pathalias
>> data has never been a problem.  One problem is created when a site
>> thinks that it has better map info than the originating site.  Marking
>> links as DEAD avoids these sites and this problem.  Another problem
>
>I take from this that you are saying that it is OK to actively reroute
>as long as you use up to date, consistent pathalias data.  I don't see
>where your poll came to that conclusion.  In fact, I'd say that you are
>DEAD (pun) wrong here, as most complaints on this subject have been
>about rutgers, which supposedly has the most up to date pathalias info
>of any site.

Yes, as long as you pick the exact same route I did you can reroute my
mail all you want :-).

Read carefully what I said - "mail that was completely routed by up to
date, consistent pathalias data ...".

In other words, if you can prove 1) that I used only pathalias to
route my mail and 2) that you have the same map data, then yes, you
should feel free to "reroute" it, because you are going to come up
with exactly the same path I did.  Of course no site can prove either
of these things, which is why your observation in the first paragraph
is incorrect (rerouters often do change routes that were created with
pathalias - their map data differs).

Rutgers will never have all of the most up to date map information.
Local changes are known by local sites first - it seems to take
rutgers awhile to get changes incorporated into the map data.

>The results of your poll were interesting, but I still don't think your
>conclusion that active rerouters should mark all links as DEAD makes
>sense.

I guess I can only tell you to talk to others who manually mark rutgers
links as DEAD.  It does help.

>I also wonder what kind of enforcement mechanism you are going
>to back up this directive (suggestion?, plea?) with.  Site admins that
>reroute probably do it for what they think are good reasos.  What's
>going to make them do what you and/or the majority want them to do?

I don't know.  How would any site be handled if it advertised
many low cost links and then screwed up the mail it received?

Maybe a # line in the maps data marking these sites would do it.

--
Jon Zeeff      			Branch Technology,
umix!b-tech!zeeff  		zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (09/06/88)

You assume that you know the better route.  I claim it is not even
your place to determine a route.  Again, look at the havok that ihnp4
has caused those who do not actively reroute.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (09/06/88)

In article <4753@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
> I guess I can only tell you to talk to others who manually mark rutgers
> links as DEAD.  It does help.

It may help in the case of mail from sites using pathalias data different
from the published data.  It does not help with sites that have pathalias
data that's in sync with the rerouting site's data, nor does it help if
the mail has been routed manually.  I submit that most sites are using
the published data unaltered, and that those persons that route mail
manually do not check the published map data on a regular basis (if at all).
Even if you dispute these assumptions, you cannot claim that marking links
as DEAD will solve the problem for everyone, so I still see it as a
non-solution.  More, the idea seems born of a desire to punish active
rerouters, rather than improve mail service.

--
Greg Paris                    <gmp@rayssd.ray.com>
{decuac,gatech,necntc,sun,uiucdcs,ukma}!rayssd!gmp

                    NO KILL I

willy@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl (Willy Konijnenberg) (09/09/88)

I get the impression that some careful reading is required in this discussion.
Jon and Gregory seem to consistently misinterpret eachothers texts.

In article <4753@b-tech.UUCP> zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) writes:
>In article <3710@rayssd.ray.com> gmp@rayssd.RAY.COM (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
>>> Mail that was completely routed by up to date, consistent pathalias
>>> data has never been a problem.  One problem is created when a site
>>> thinks that it has better map info than the originating site.  Marking
>>> links as DEAD avoids these sites and this problem.
>>
>>I take from this that you are saying that it is OK to actively reroute
>>as long as you use up to date, consistent pathalias data.

Nope Jon. What Gregory says is that full routing with pathalias is not the
problem, but active RErouting is.
In my opinion, full routing from the very source is not entirely ok
either, but that is not discussed here.

>>The results of your poll were interesting, but I still don't think your
>>conclusion that active rerouters should mark all links as DEAD makes
>>sense.

Hey, nobody said the rerouters should change their maps! What has been
suggested is that if you have a problem with an active rerouter, YOU mark
all links to that site as DEAD in your copy of the maps. That way, YOUR
pathalias will not route THRU the offending site and your problem is solved.
You don't need the cooperation of the rerouter for this.
The result of this would eventually be that everybody is carefully avoiding
the rerouters and the rerouters form isolated, lonesome islands in the net.

--
Willy Konijnenberg               Philips Telecommunication & Data Systems
Domain: willy@idca.tds.PHILIPS.nl           UUCP:  ..!mcvax!philapd!willy