[comp.mail.uucp] Active routing considered harmful

chip@ateng.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (09/06/88)

According to lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear):
>Again, look at the havok that ihnp4 has caused those who do not actively
>reroute.

Actually, the demise of ihnp4 is an excellent example of the _danger_ of
active routing.  If I send mail though sites with active routers, my mail is
at the mercy of the map data at _each_ of those sites.  If their databases
haven't had ihnp4 marked s DEAD, my message may bounce or disappear.

"But wait," you may say, "active routers always have accurate map data!"

Pshaw.  It is to laugh.  Nobody, even Rutgers, ever has completely correct
maps.  The UUCP "Network" is made up of a huge number of sites run by
postmasters whose interest in being good net.citizens varies from heroic to
zero.  You'll never get accurate maps from everyone all at once.

So, you active routers -- stop yelling "But my maps are accurate!"
It's just not so.
--
Chip Salzenberg                <chip@ateng.uu.net> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.

cik@l.cc.purdue.edu (Herman Rubin) (09/07/88)

In article <1988Sep6.122852.21618@ateng.uucp>, chip@ateng.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:

> "But wait," you may say, "active routers always have accurate map data!"
>
> Pshaw.  It is to laugh.  Nobody, even Rutgers, ever has completely correct
> maps.  The UUCP "Network" is made up of a huge number of sites run by
> postmasters whose interest in being good net.citizens varies from heroic to
> zero.  You'll never get accurate maps from everyone all at once.

Some time ago, I was having difficulty in sending email to another site.  The
problem was that the smart mailer insisted in sending to inhp4, and the link
from there was DEAD.  However, the map correction had not been made.

Now I knew of a path, all links of which were active, and whose pathalias cost
could only have been marginally higher.  But could I get the mail routed that
way?  No.

I have no objection to rerouting if the mail gets through.  However, I would
put the burden of getting it through on the rerouter, who should take action
if it bounces or falls into the bit bucket because of the rerouting.
Phone: (317)494-6054
hrubin@l.cc.purdue.edu (Internet, bitnet, UUCP)

berto@bc-cis.UUCP (Robert Siegfried) (09/11/88)

The following are typical mail that our postmaster has received for the past several months.  We were told that the problem is due to our inabilty to send
articles to the proper moderator, but we don't know how to fix it.  Any
assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 88 23:19:38 EDT
From: UNIX-to-UNIX Copy <cmcl2!uucp>
To: phri!bc-cis!uucp
Subject: uuxqt cmd (rmail comp-std-c) status (signal 0, exit 67)

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 88 23:19:33 EDT
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <cmcl2!MAILER-DAEMON>
Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
To: phri!bc-cis!uucp

550 comp-std-c... User unknown

Date: 10 Sep 88 00:19:20 GMT
To: comp-std-c
Subject: Submission for comp-std-c
Responding-System: bc-cis.UUCP

From: scs@itivax.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons)
Newsgroups: comp.std.c
Subject: Re: Variable length arg lists for macros
Date: 6 Sep 88 00:30:20 GMT

In article <1036@cbnews.ATT.COM> lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM (Lawrence V. Cipriani) writes:
-In article <438@ucsvc.unimelb.edu.au>, u5565522@ucsvc.unimelb.edu.au (David Clunie) writes:
-> How do people feel about the idea of preprocessor macros with variable
-> length argument lists ?
->
-> At present, this CANNOT BE DONE, without nesting parentheses (clumsy) or
-> using a call to an empty function (inefficient, unless you have inline
-> integration in an optimizing compiler).
-
-Only clumsy for the uncoordinated :-)  You missed one more way:
-
-	#ifdef TRACE
-	#define trace(anything)	anything
-	#else
-	#define trace(anything)
-	#endif
-
-and you use it like this:
-
-	c(i)
-	{
-		trace( if (i == 0) printf("boom\n");)
-	}
-
-The only restriction I can think of now is that you'll have to be careful
-how the comma operator is used.
-
-Larry Cipriani, cbnews!lvc lvc@cbnews.ATT.COM

A nice hack, but one additional word of warning -- the disappearing line
of code can cause some interesting and obscure bugs.  I had one program
that worked with the trace code but failed oddly without it.  The exact
form escapes me, but it was something like

	. . .
	if ( x == m )
		trace( printf( "the consequences\n) ; )
	froob( some function ) ;

This produced rather different programs depending on the definition of
'trace'!

--
Steve Simmons		...!umix!itivax!vax3!scs
Industrial Technology Institute, Ann Arbor, MI.

Date: Fri, 9 Sep 88 23:19:47 EDT
From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <cmcl2!MAILER-DAEMON>
To: phri!bc-cis!uucp

550 comp-os-os9... User unknown

Date: 10 Sep 88 00:35:16 GMT
To: comp-os-os9
Subject: Submission for comp-os-os9
Responding-System: bc-cis.UUCP

From: jec@nesac2.UUCP (John Carter ATLN SADM)
Newsgroups: comp.os.os9
Subject: Re: OS9 books
Date: 8 Sep 88 21:18:17 GMT

In article <349@rwing.UUCP>, bdw@rwing.UUCP (Brian Wright) writes:
> In article <15602@shemp.CS.UCLA.EDU>, dj@dorsai.cognet.ucla.edu (David J. Wells) writes:
] ]
] ] Also, where can I get a list of OS9 products on the market (i.e. good
] ] magazines to browse for ads, or an OS9 product summary)?
]
]
] David, I don't own a 68K system, but rather, a Tandy Color Computer 3
] running OS-9 Level 2.  The only reading material out is either
] "The Rainbow Guide to OS-9", by Dale Puckett and Peter Dibble.  A lot of
] what's explained is very relavent to 68K, since some of the commands
] in Level 1/2, are available for 68K OS-9, although with some differences.
]
] The only OS-9 products out are for the Tandy Color Computer, and I don'T
] think that there's a heckuva lot available for the 68K world yet.  The
] Atari ST is the only low cost micro with a 68K chip that has a version
] of OS-9 68K for it.  I've checked Byte magazine, but they don't have
] any ads for OS-9 products.  UNIX world might, and I don't think the
] Computer Shopper even has ads for ANY OS-9 engines.  Which is a shame,
] because I feel that OS-9 is far superior to MS-DOS and OS/2.
] Good luck on finding the material you need!
]
]
] --
] Brian Wright
] UUCP: {backbones}!uw-beaver!tikal!toybox!rwing!bdw
]       "                         "!camco!eskimo!bdw
] "I'd buy that for a dollar!"  --Robocop

Microware publishes (or at least did publish) a list of software available
for OS9 and OS9 68K computers.  There ARE OS9 computers out there, but you
probably have never heard of the brands.  Frank Hogg Labs sells some very
powerful 68K machines, and OS9 software for both 68xx and 68xxx machines.

Try contacting James Jones at Microware  ...uunet!mcrware!jejones

I live in a world of UNIX and MSDOS, but I LIKE OS9.  I used my CoCo running
OS9 Level 1 to check out a disk drive that couldn't talk to the disk controller
in an MSDOS box.  OS9 let me format and use the drive as 35 track single-sided
up through 80 track double-sided just by changing the device descriptor.
You know about loadable device drivers - it's a marvelous NEW feature in
version 3 of MSDOS - but OS9 has had it for years...
--
USnail: John Carter, AT&T, Atlanta RWC, 3001 Cobb Parkway, Atlanta GA 30339
Video:	...att!nesac2!jec    Voice: 404+951-4642

						Robert Siegfried
berto@bc-cis.UUCP
berto@bklyncis.bitnet