[comp.mail.uucp] Sendmail for SysV

chip@ateng.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (09/07/88)

According to james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen):
>In article <4743@b-tech.UUCP>, trp@b-tech.UUCP (Thomas Parker) wrote:
>> Is there a version of sendmail for uucp only Sys V.3 sites?
>The standard version of 5.59 is good enough.

I don't usually advertise things which are not generally available, but I'm
making an exception for an exceptional program.  Smail 3 -- currently in
alpha test -- is a plug-in replacement for sendmail.  But it's not a
sendmail clone; it's much more.  For one thing, its configuration files are
actually readable by humans!  And Smail is capable of transmitting messages
without munging the From: header line.

So all you SysV users who think you want sendmail:  STOP!  Wait for Smail 3.
You'll be glad you did.
--
Chip Salzenberg                <chip@ateng.uu.net> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (09/08/88)

Chip Salzenberg writes:
>So all you SysV users who think you want sendmail:  STOP!  Wait for Smail 3.

it is rumored that svr4 will have a upas-like mta.

	peter

james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen) (09/09/88)

In <1988Sep7.105719.3767@ateng.uucp>, chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) wrote:

> And Smail is capable of transmitting messages without munging the
> From: header line.

So is sendmail.  You just need to be one of those alien types who can
read & write sendmail.cf.

> So all you SysV users who think you want sendmail: STOP!  Wait for
> Smail 3.  You'll be glad you did.

smail 3.0 (not to be confused with smail 2.5 which is sometimes called
smail 3) is not available yet.  It's not clear when it will be in beta
test, much less general release.  In the meantime, sendmail works now
if you need to pipe mail to programs or other things smail 2.5 won't
do.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen    ...!uunet!utastro!bigtex!james     "Live Free or Die"
Home: 512-346-2444 Work: 328-0282; 110 Wild Basin Rd. Ste #230, Austin TX 78746

zeeff@b-tech.UUCP (Jon Zeeff) (09/09/88)

In article <7759@bigtex.uucp> james@bigtex.UUCP (James Van Artsdalen) writes:

>test, much less general release.  In the meantime, sendmail works now
>if you need to pipe mail to programs or other things smail 2.5 won't
>do.

If people running smail 2.5 just want piping to programs (or files), they
can run the lmail program I wrote.  I'm willing to send out copies via
email.

--
Jon Zeeff      			Branch Technology,
umix!b-tech!zeeff  		zeeff%b-tech.uucp@umix.cc.umich.edu

scs@itivax.UUCP (Steve C. Simmons) (09/09/88)

In article <4609@umix.cc.umich.edu> honey@citi.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) writes:
>it is rumored that svr4 will have a upas-like mta.

What's upas?
--
Steve Simmons		...!umix!itivax!vax3!scs
Industrial Technology Institute, Ann Arbor, MI.

torsten@pcsbst.UUCP (Torsten Homeyer) (09/09/88)

In article <1988Sep7.105719.3767@ateng.uucp> chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>So all you SysV users who think you want sendmail:  STOP!  Wait for Smail 3.
>You'll be glad you did.

	HELP !!!!!!!!!!!
	Where I can get it ????????????????????

		Torsten.
---
Name    : Torsten Homeyer         {tho@pcsbst ; torsten@homeyer}.UUCP
Company : PCS GmbH, Munich W-Germany.
UUCP  : ..uunet!unido!pcsbst!tho     ..uunet!unido!pcsbst!sws4!torsten
PRIVAT: ..unido!{pcsbst,megalon,mikros,[altger,netmbx]!oldman}!homeyer!torsten

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (09/12/88)

steve, upas is the mta in eighth edition unix.  you know it as the mta
in slime.  (inside joke -- slime is what we call the mail environment
at citi.)

	peter

efb@suned1.UUCP (Everett F. Batey II) (09/13/88)

In article <1988Sep7.105719.3767@ateng.uucp> chip@ateng.UUCP (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to james@bigtex.uucp (James Van Artsdalen):
>>In article <4743@b-tech.UUCP>, trp@b-tech.UUCP (Thomas Parker) wrote:
>>> Is there a version of sendmail for uucp only Sys V.3 sites?
>>The standard version of 5.59 is good enough.
>
>I don't usually advertise things which are not generally available, but I'm

Yes but is it ported to Motorola System V/68 (MC680200) Sys V R3.x??

--
 suned1!efb@elroy.JPL.Nasa.Gov   sun!tsunami!suned1!efb   efbatey@NSWSES.ARPA
    Any statements / opinions made here are mine, alone, not those of the