[comp.mail.uucp] .uucp going to other than %s

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (09/24/88)

Has anyone else connected directly with killer experienced a strange
pheonomina where pathalias is mapping:

.uucp	killer!rutgers!%s	200

where is is normally supposed to be:

.uucp	%s	0

This started about two months ago, and I figured it would go away.  Has
someone mistakenly identified rutgers as a gateway for .uucp (unofficial
domain even), or has map file structures changed, and no one told me?
Now, when a local, unlisted host is addressed as user@local.UUCP, it
mails it to rutgers as if it were a gateway.  Now rutgers happens to
be a gateway for several domains as determined by MY pathalias output.
Rutgers, of course, hasn't the slightest idea who user@local.UUCP is,
and it bounces.

Does anyone have any idea what might have changed a couple of months
ago causing this to develop?  I  figured it surely had affected someone
else as I get my map files from comp.mail.maps, so I know they are
current.

You can email responses to save net space, unless the problem appears
to be more wide spread than realized.

Thanks in advance.

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Y'all com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (09/25/88)

Several gateways to .UUCP are defined in the maps, including
rutgers and uunet. So what?

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (09/25/88)

>Several gateways to .UUCP are defined in the maps, including
>rutgers and uunet. So what?

So defining those gateways is not necessary.

killer knows just as much about the .UUCP domain as rutgers does.
We both get all the maps and we both use them. So why should I
bother to send .UUCP mail on to rutgers or uunet?

The only time you might need this is if you are a small site that
doesn't get all the maps. If this is the case, you STILL don't
need it. You can (and should) define a smart-host to do your routing
for you.

So why's it there?

emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (09/25/88)

In article <5619@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wisner@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Bill Wisner) writes:
>>Several gateways to .UUCP are defined in the maps, including
>>rutgers and uunet. So what?
>
>So defining those gateways is not necessary.

so don't include those maps when you build your pathalias database.
I think they're all in d.Top or what-have-you.  Every site should
probably write their own d.Top file to fit local knowlege of the
world - in many cases it would just be as simple to punt all of
the official top-level USA domains to your nearest NSFnet gateway,
and all of the official top-level non-USA domains to your nearest
international gateway, probably uunet.

root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) (09/25/88)

In article <5616@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) writes:
> Several gateways to .UUCP are defined in the maps, including
> rutgers and uunet. So what?

OK, I can understand that, but my problem is local machines that rutgers
or uunet wouldn't know about.  How do I tell pathalias that local.uucp
is really local!user and not rutgers!local!user?  Also note that these local
machines are running smail 2.5 and are identified in replies with
user@local.UUCP, so if I use the "reply" command, say on Elm, that is who
it is going to send it to.

I don't know...am I missing something here??!?!!

Mark.

--
Mark J. Bailey                                    "Y'all com bak naw, ya hear!"
USMAIL: 511 Memorial Blvd., Murfreesboro, TN 37129 ___________________________
VOICE:  +1 615 893 4450 / +1 615 896 4153          |         JobSoft
UUCP:   ...!{ames,mit-eddie}!killer!mjbtn!root     | Design & Development Co.
DOMAIN: root@mjbtn.MFEE.US.TN                      |  Murfreesboro, TN  USA

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (09/26/88)

Mark J. Bailey asks:
>How do I tell pathalias that local.uucp is really local!user
>and not rutgers!local!user?

you can change the input (mjbtn	.uucp(0)), or the output (sed
's/^\.uucp	.*/.uucp	%s/'), or the lookup program.

	peter

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (09/26/88)

In article <316@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US> root@mjbtn.MFEE.TN.US (Mark J. Bailey) writes:
|In article <5616@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) writes:
|> Several gateways to .UUCP are defined in the maps, including
|> rutgers and uunet. So what?
|
|OK, I can understand that, but my problem is local machines that rutgers
|or uunet wouldn't know about.  How do I tell pathalias that local.uucp
|is really local!user and not rutgers!local!user?  Also note that these local
|
|I don't know...am I missing something here??!?!!
Maybe.  Make a local map that gets added to the pathalias input, consisting
of (I assume mjbtn is the machine you're having problems with)
mjbtn	local1(COST),local2(COST),local3(COST)

If the local machines connect to each other, you could also have, say,
local1	local3(COST)
so the path to local3 might be local1!local3!user if you prefer that.

psuhcx has some connections which it doesn't advertise in the maps, but there's
a local paths file which lists those connections.  Works well.

  Bill
--
    Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner     | "Ain't got no cash,
   Internet: wcf@hcx.psu.edu                      |  Ain't got no style

soley@ontenv.UUCP (Norman S. Soley) (09/27/88)

In article <5619@killer.DALLAS.TX.US>, wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) writes:
> >Several gateways to .UUCP are defined in the maps, including
> >rutgers and uunet. So what?
>
> So defining those gateways is not necessary.
>
> killer knows just as much about the .UUCP domain as rutgers does.
> We both get all the maps and we both use them. So why should I
> bother to send .UUCP mail on to rutgers or uunet?

So where does it say in the manual that one can't put a .uucp gateway
in ones path.local (or whatever you call it). The current situation is
completely reasonable default behavior: "assume the local site is
'dumb' unless told otherwise".

What I don't get is why uunet is defined an a .uucp gateway when rick
has made several public statements to the effect that uunet should not
be used as an all purpose router.

--
Norman Soley - Data Communications Analyst - Ontario Ministry of the Environment
UUCP:	uunet!attcan!lsuc!ncrcan!ontenv!soley	VOICE:	+1 416 323 2623

cacsc143%mx@csun.edu (09/27/88)

In article <703@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>In article <5619@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wisner@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Bill Wisner) writes:
>>>Several gateways to .UUCP are defined in the maps, including
>>>rutgers and uunet. So what?

>>So defining those gateways is not necessary.

>so don't include those maps when you build your pathalias database.
>I think they're all in d.Top or what-have-you.  Every site should
>probably write their own d.Top file to fit local knowlege of the
>world - in many cases it would just be as simple to punt all of
>the official top-level USA domains to your nearest NSFnet gateway,
>and all of the official top-level non-USA domains to your nearest
>international gateway, probably uunet.

I would not recomend the above solution.  The proper thing to do is to let
pathalias know that you think that you are a better .uucp gateway (I know
that is the wrong word.) than rutgers, or uunet.  All you have to do is
put a:

mysite	.uucp(0)

into your LOCAL map entry before you run pathalias.  And you will get a
zero cost (can anyone beat this?) connection to .uucp, everyone elses
should be >0.

Note: I said local map entry.

							Mike Stump

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (09/28/88)

In article <5616@killer.DALLAS.TX.US> wisner@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Bill Wisner) writes:
>Several gateways to .UUCP are defined in the maps, including
>rutgers and uunet. So what?

And this function is useful: it says, these sites (rutgers, etc)
commit to having the full map database on line.  If you want, you can
define yourself as a .uucp gateway in your Path.local file.  Just say

mysite .uucp

if you don't want to see if rutgers or someone might have more recent
data with a path to the site.
--
- Joe Buck, card-carrying ACLU liberal
	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, or uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck,

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (09/28/88)

Sure, there's a workaround to the problem. But it's a problem that
shouldn't even exist. There is no need to define .UUCP gateways in
the maps.

wisner@killer.DALLAS.TX.US (Bill Wisner) (09/28/88)

Norman Soley:
>The current situation is completely reasonable default behavior:
>"assume the local site is 'dumb' unless told otherwise".

If your mailer pays attention to pathalias output, it obviously isn't
dumb.