[comp.mail.uucp] Be cautious about declaring yourself a gateway if on Internet

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (09/21/88)

Sites using the pathalias data generate horrible paths to Stanford
University, among other places.  The reason is that Stanford is on the
Internet, but one poorly-connected Stanford site is listed as the only
gateway to .stanford.edu in the UUCP map data.  Here is their entry:

#N	wso
#S	DEC VAX-11/780; 4.3 BSD UNIX
#O	Wilcox Solar Observatory, Stanford University
#C	Rick Bogart
#E	wso!rick
#T	+1 415 723 1296
#P	CSSA, Stanford, CA  94305-4055
#L	37 24 35 N / 122 10 02 W
#R	Wilcox Solar Observatory at Stanford University; position +/- 2"
#U
#W	wso!rick (Rick Bogart); Wed Jul 13 14:37:04 PDT 1988
#
wso	.stanford.edu
wso=	wso.stanford.edu
wso	mtxinu(DIRECT), ncar(DEMAND), noao(DEMAND)

If this map entry were not there, a site that talks directly to uunet,
when mailing to luser@foo.stanford.edu, would search, in sequence, for

luser.stanford.edu  (not found)
.stanford.edu       (not found)
.edu		    (found, gateway is uunet)

and would use the path

     uunet!foo.stanford.edu!luser

and uunet would ship the message via the Internet to Stanford.
Instead, horrible paths are generated.  In my case, I get the path

oliveb!ames!ncar!noao!wso!foo.stanford.edu!luser

Gag!  Awful.  At minimum, the line

wso	.stanford.edu

should be deleted from the map entry.  Possibly the whole map entry
should be deleted (at least after the half-price Trailblazers
arrive! :-).

There should be NO gateway listed to second-level Internet domains
in cases where the top-level domain servers will get mail through just
as fast.  Let's keep the maps small and consider what the pathalias
results will be when we add information.

--
- Joe Buck, card-carrying ACLU liberal
	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, or uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck,

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (09/21/88)

I will forward the article to the postmaster at wso.stanford.edu with a
request to submit a updated map-entry;

I also wonder if/why-not regional map-administrators do any sanity-checks
on submitted map-entries and if they should not take uni-lateral
corrective action when such a problem is reported?!

BTW, I have the feeling that several similar "problematic" map-entries
exist;  one must be in the vicinity of mimsy, as I have seen some crazy
(and failing) paths routed through there ...

--
--------------------> PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS <---------------------
(ARPA)	    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (09/21/88)

# There should be NO gateway listed to second-level Internet domains
# in cases where the top-level domain servers will get mail through just
# as fast.

While I agree that there are problems caused by it, this will make things
even worse.  Consider decwrl, known to pathalias as the gateway to .dec.com.
Consider vixie.sf.ca.us, which speaks directly to decwrl and also to uunet.
Consider mail send from paul@vixie.sf.ca.us to reid@decwrl.dec.com.  Without
the "decwrl  .dec.com" entry in decwrl's map entry, the mail would go to
uunet to get to decwrl, even though decwrl is a neighbor.  Same is true for
all .dec.com sites: decwrl really is the fastest way to get there for many
UUCP sites.

It can be solved by having all neighbors add "decwrl  .dec.com" to their
/usr/lib/mail/glue.local files, but this is both irritating and incomplete:
incomplete because the problem also exists for many non-neighbors, though
to a lesser degree.

So, again: I agree that there is a problem; this isn't the way to solve it.

The whole method of naming directly-connected Internet domains in pathalias
map entries needs rethinking.  I have no wonderful ideas, though.  Discussion?
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

jerry@olivey.olivetti.com (Jerry Aguirre) (09/22/88)

In article <2488@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>Sites using the pathalias data generate horrible paths to Stanford
>University, among other places.  The reason is that Stanford is on the
>Internet, but one poorly-connected Stanford site is listed as the only
>gateway to .stanford.edu in the UUCP map data.  Here is their entry:
>wso	.stanford.edu
>wso=	wso.stanford.edu
>wso	mtxinu(DIRECT), ncar(DEMAND), noao(DEMAND)

What's the matter?  You don't like sending mail to Stanford via Colorado
and Arizona? :-)

Actually it is worse than that pathalias data would indicate.  It is
only used for paths FROM wso to those sites.  (Otherwise your mail would
have been sent via mtxinu.)  Paths going to wso must use the noao-wso
link because it is the ONLY link to wso listed in the maps.

So, in this case, badly connected means just one (1) incomming
connection.  If they had a few more connections or even if mtxinu would
show their return "DIRECT" connection then it wouldn't be so bad.

					Jerry Aguirre

emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (09/22/88)

In article <29499@oliveb.olivetti.com> jerry@olivey.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:
>In article <2488@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>>Sites using the pathalias data generate horrible paths to Stanford
>>University, among other places.  The reason is that Stanford is on the
>>Internet, but one poorly-connected Stanford site is listed as the only
>What's the matter?  You don't like sending mail to Stanford via Colorado
>and Arizona? :-)

pathalias data is the wrong source of information for .edu domain
hosts; the name servers are much more useful and reliable.
filter out all of the .foo.edu information from your pathalias
run and just make sure that the .edu gateway you declare is running
a sendmail with MX records.

.gov, .mil, and .net should be handled similarly.  .com might be
best left in the maps depending on the local density of .com
sites not directly on the internet.

I'm collecting pathalias post-processor filters - mail them
to emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu and I'll summarize and re-post.

--Ed

grandi@noao.edu (Steve Grandi) (09/23/88)

In article <29499@oliveb.olivetti.com> jerry@olivey.UUCP (Jerry Aguirre) writes:
>In article <2488@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>>Sites using the pathalias data generate horrible paths to Stanford
>>University, among other places.
>
>What's the matter?  You don't like sending mail to Stanford via Colorado
>and Arizona? :-)

Hmm; no wonder I have all this traffic to wso!  Things are particularly
clogged up right now since wso isn't answering the phone.  I've manually
gone through the messages waiting for wso and revectored those meant for
someone@somewhere.stanford.edu via the Internet.  I've put a hack in my
sendmail.cf so that mail sent to wso!string will now be sent to
string@wso.stanford.edu so messages should now bounce much faster!

An amusing note:  Rick Bogart, the postmaster at wso, had sent a map update
which no longer had the offending gateway line to cbosgd!uucpmap which got
bounced to my machine awaiting a connection to wso!  I revectored this
message to uucpmap@rutgers.edu...
--
Steve Grandi, National Optical Astronomy Observatories, Tucson AZ, 602-325-9228
UUCP: {arizona,decvax,ncar}!noao!grandi  or  uunet!noao.edu!grandi

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (09/24/88)

>pathalias data is the wrong source of information for .edu domain
>hosts; the name servers are much more useful and reliable.
>filter out all of the .foo.edu information from your pathalias
>run and just make sure that the .edu gateway you declare is running
>a sendmail with MX records.

If I'm within a couple hops of a uucp-only .edu domain, sending mail
for it across the net to (for example) uunet and uunet sending it back
seems like a real waste of time and links.  It's going to have to go
across uucp links anyway -- why bother the gateway sites with the
traffic and why bother the arpanet with the traffic?

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (09/27/88)

In article <697@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
>pathalias data is the wrong source of information for .edu domain
>hosts; the name servers are much more useful and reliable.
>filter out all of the .foo.edu information from your pathalias
>run and just make sure that the .edu gateway you declare is running
>a sendmail with MX records.

Correction: pathalias data is the wrong source of information for
.edu, .com, .mil, etc, domains IF the domain is connected to the
Internet or to CSNET, unless the gateway is also very well connected
to major sites on the UUCP network (as Sun is, for example).
Otherwise (for domains that are connected to the outside world only by
UUCP) it is frequently more efficient to use pathalias data, since
such data will show all connections.  You don't necessarily know that
a particular domain is UUCP-only or not.

There has been some controversy lately about whether to show domain
information for non-UUCP Zone members in the d.* files.  There's a
good reason not to; it generates WORSE mail paths in many cases if
it's not done correctly.  But don't go blindly removing all second
level domain paths from your pathalias output (for example, don't
remove .epi.com!).  Mail will still get through, but everything will
pass through the top-level domain gateways whether it needs to or not,
increasing the load on sites that are already extremely busy.

--

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (09/28/88)

In article <2140@stpstn.UUCP> aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) writes:
|>pathalias data is the wrong source of information for .edu domain
|>hosts; the name servers are much more useful and reliable.
|>filter out all of the .foo.edu information from your pathalias
|>run and just make sure that the .edu gateway you declare is running
|>a sendmail with MX records.
|
|If I'm within a couple hops of a uucp-only .edu domain, sending mail
|for it across the net to (for example) uunet and uunet sending it back
|seems like a real waste of time and links.  It's going to have to go
|across uucp links anyway -- why bother the gateway sites with the
|traffic and why bother the arpanet with the traffic?

How about this- pathalias checks the cost of a second-level domain path,
compares it to the cost of the first-level path.  If it's cheaper, then
the second-level path is put in the database.  If not, it'll put it in
the first-level path.  If they're equal, it'll put in the second-level
path.

  Bill
--
    Bitnet: wcf@psuhcx.bitnet     Bill Fenner     | "Ain't got no cash,