[comp.mail.uucp] Problems with uucp accounts without a password.

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) (10/04/88)

In article <2300@att.ATT.COM> jhc@att.ATT.COM (Jonathan Hawbrook-Clark) writes:
> is. It is a trivial command to change a machine's nodename, and I
> suspect that no-one would thank us if we delivered mail for 'lsuc' to
> some schoolkid with a PC who happened to rename hir machine to that
> and call us up. So, except in rare cases, we only deliver mail when
> we make the call.

I want everybody in the ATT.COM domain to know right now that it's not me
that's sending them all that abusive mail.  It must be some schoolkid with a
PC that is calling att and delivering mail that looks like it came from me.
After all, it's a trivial command to change a machine's nodename for purposes
of illicitly receiving *or sending* mail.  This must be why other people put
passwords on their uucp accounts.

--
Greg Paris                    <gmp@rayssd.ray.com>
{decuac,gatech,necntc,sun,uiucdcs,ukma}!rayssd!gmp

I must be here sleepwalking, mustn't I?