[comp.mail.uucp] how many "pluto"'s are there on the net?

emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) (10/02/88)

(debugging paths is a pain.)

There's a bug in the d.usa.fl.1 map entry of ucf-cs w/regard to the
domain description of UCF.EDU.  It causes some of my paths to
Florida to bounce through New York City.  In particular,

ucf-cs	mailrus!rutgers!cmcl2!phri!pluto!ucf-cs

The problem is that "pluto.ucf.edu" in the ucf-cs map
collides with a 1987 map for "pluto" in u.usa.ny.3.
The ucf "pluto" is apparently on a local network with
"ucf-cs", hence the confusion.

An interesting exercise would be to send mail to
rutgers!pluto!postmaster and see which is the
"real" machine.  Since I don't know which map
coordinators are involved in this it was easiest
to post.

There's yet another pluto in the map entry of "mscunx"
in u.usa.mn.1, I suspect it's even different from the
other two.

(I submit that active rerouting is bad for everyone
on the net except rutgers, and only since rutgers controls
the maps.)

roy@phri.UUCP (Roy Smith) (10/02/88)

emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti) writes:
> ucf-cs	mailrus!rutgers!cmcl2!phri!pluto!ucf-cs
>
> The problem is that "pluto.ucf.edu" in the ucf-cs map
> collides with a 1987 map for "pluto" in u.usa.ny.3.

	As far as I know, the u.usa.ny.3 pluto is dead, and has been for
some time.  Certainly, we havn't been able to get through to them for a
while.  In fact, I see that they are no longer in our L.sys file (hence the
path fragment phri!pluto should result in bounced mail) nor our most recent
map entry (so unless people are working with out-dated maps, there
shouldn't be any re-routing of plutomail through us).
--
Roy Smith, System Administrator
Public Health Research Institute

clarke@acheron.UUCP (Ed Clarke) (10/02/88)

From article <731@mailrus.cc.umich.edu>, by emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti):
> There's a bug in the d.usa.fl.1 map entry of ucf-cs w/regard to the
> domain description of UCF.EDU.  It causes some of my paths to
> Florida to bounce through New York City.  In particular,
>
> ucf-cs	mailrus!rutgers!cmcl2!phri!pluto!ucf-cs
>
> The problem is that "pluto.ucf.edu" in the ucf-cs map
> collides with a 1987 map for "pluto" in u.usa.ny.3.
> The ucf "pluto" is apparently on a local network with
> "ucf-cs", hence the confusion.

A quick look through the maps shows at least three 'pluto' machines.
There are two lan connected machines - one at the Universito of
Central Florida ( the one you want ), and one at the University of
Toronto.  A third machine is only uucp connected and is not part
of a domain.  None of these three machines conflict if you use
'smail' (2.5).  You just have to fully qualify the addresses:

	smail -A person@pluto
		uunet!hombre!phri!pluto!person

	smail -A person@pluto.ucf.edu
		uunet!steinmetz!ge-dab!ucf-cs!pluto.ucf.edu!person

	smail -A person@pluto.decnet.toronto.edu
		uunet!utai!pluto.decnet.toronto.edu!person

I know it's a pain, but this is the way mail is headed.  You're
going to have to fully qualify your destination.

As a side note, I'm not sure what would happen if I registered a
machine as uunet.COM ( besides having everyone on the net form a
lynch mob ).  I have a feeling that most map entries for uunet are
technically WRONG -  and should be of the form "uunet.uu.net(DEMAND)"
rather than "uunet(DEMAND)".

This is only a horrible example - I'm sure no map coordinator would
permit it.  But what about 'pluto'?  I have a route through SOME
pluto to 'hp'.  And it's wrong.

	smail -A person@hp
		uunet!hombre!phri!pluto!hp!person

This should have routed through 'pluto.ucf.edu'.

Ed Clarke
uunet!bywater!acheron!clarke
--
Ed Clarke
uunet!bywater!acheron!clarke

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (10/04/88)

It's worse that that - since ucf-cs talks to pluto, and hp is on
that same ethernet (surprise to the folks at Hewlett-Packard),
mail to hp!user will not only not get to H-P, it won't even get
to pluto, since phri doesn't talk to it.

This is just one example of the state of the maps.  Tell me quick: how
to I get to csab?  ipac?  usafa?  vice?  viper?  Are you sure?  Take
usafa for example.  Not registered, but listed by three sites:
u.usa.co.1:winfree      usafa(WEEKLY)
u.usa.fl.1:gould        usafa(HOURLY*4)
u.usa.nh.1:trixie       usafa(HOURLY)

These sites aren't exactly 'close'.  Are these all the same machine?
How can anyone know?  Can I get from trixie to gould through usafa?
(yes, I know trixie talks to gould)

At least we can infer viper is in Minnesota, with five (5) sites
listing it in their maps.  It's not registered though.

If machines can't correctly route to with the published map data,
there's no way they can reroute when you add the unpublished hosts.

[Would you believe we talk to a pluto via uucp?]

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (10/05/88)

In article <248@acheron.UUCP> clarke@acheron.UUCP (Ed Clarke) writes:
>As a side note, I'm not sure what would happen if I registered a
>machine as uunet.COM ( besides having everyone on the net form a
>lynch mob ).  I have a feeling that most map entries for uunet are
>technically WRONG -  and should be of the form "uunet.uu.net(DEMAND)"
>rather than "uunet(DEMAND)".

No, they are not wrong.  For purposes of UUCP mail, uunet without
qualification means uunet.uu.net; the map entries are right.  Mail to
your hypothetical machine uunet.com would have to be fully qualified,
but not mail to uunet, since they own the UUCP name (by having it
registered on the UUCP map).
--
- Joe Buck, card-carrying ACLU liberal
	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, or uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck,

brianr@rosevax.Rosemount.COM (Brian E. Richter) (10/07/88)

From article <731@mailrus.cc.umich.edu>, by emv@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti):

> There's yet another pluto in the map entry of "mscunx"
> in u.usa.mn.1, I suspect it's even different from the
> other two.

I will check into this one,  unfortunately the folks at mscunx have
just gone through an upgrade so it may be while before I find out
about thier entry.

Brian E. Richter          |  Domain:     brianr@rosevax.rosemount.com
Rosemount Inc.            |  UUCP:       uunet!rosevax!brianr
12001 Technology Drive    |  Tel:        +1 612 828 3941
Eden Prairie, Mn 55344    |  ?.usa.mn.1  map coordinator