[comp.mail.uucp] problems with att multiple-machine approach?

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (09/23/88)

My understanding of the "att" multi-machine setup is that
each of the three machines (Ohio, New Jersey and Illinois)
calls itself "att", and whoever happens to call you first
will pick up any mail addressed to/through "att".  Fine.

Now, what happens if your dialin isn't working for a few
days, but your dialout is fine?  OK, you think.  You poll
all the sites that you talk to, so anything pending will
go through.  But what happens if you normally call the Ohio
"att" for your mail, but there's a ton of mail waiting for
you on the New Jersey "att"?  Will it ever reach you?
Should you have to call all three "att" machines if your
dialin is often busy or down?  The three don't share the
same /usr/spool, do they?

David Sherman
The Law Society of Upper Canada
Toronto
--
{ uunet!attcan  att  pyramid!utai  utzoo } !lsuc!dave

jhc@att.ATT.COM (Jonathan Hawbrook-Clark) (09/25/88)

In article <1988Sep23.105347.652@lsuc.uucp> dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) writes:
>My understanding of the "att" multi-machine setup is that
>each of the three machines (Ohio, New Jersey and Illinois)
>calls itself "att", and whoever happens to call you first
>will pick up any mail addressed to/through "att".  Fine.

Right so far.

>Now, what happens if your dialin isn't working for a few
>days, but your dialout is fine?  OK, you think.  You poll
>all the sites that you talk to, so anything pending will
>go through.  But what happens if you normally call the Ohio
>"att" for your mail, but there's a ton of mail waiting for
>you on the New Jersey "att"?  Will it ever reach you?
>Should you have to call all three "att" machines if your
>dialin is often busy or down?
>The three don't share the same /usr/spool, do they?

No, they don't. And your underlying point is correct, any mail queued
up for you will never get delivered. But not because of the scenario
you suggest, although that is currently the case, but simply because
we do not trust that a machine calling in is actually who it says it
is. It is a trivial command to change a machine's nodename, and I
suspect that no-one would thank us if we delivered mail for 'lsuc' to
some schoolkid with a PC who happened to rename hir machine to that
and call us up. So, except in rare cases, we only deliver mail when
we make the call.

This does pose a minor problem with our netnews feeds; we are moving
towards a setup where mail received on, say, att-mt, for a site which
has a netnews feed from att-ih will magically get forwarded to the
appropriate att for delivery. This is primarily for cost reasons.

Hope this clears up some questions. This situation isn't perfect,
but we are putting security above convenience and cost. If anyone
has any truly wonderful ideas which would satisfy the various
criteria under which we work then we'd love to hear them.
--
Jonathan Clark		jonathan@mtune.att.com, attmail!jonathan
Any affiliation is given for identification purposes only.

The Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.

dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) (09/30/88)

In article <2300@att.ATT.COM>, jhc@att.ATT.COM (Jonathan Hawbrook-Clark) writes:
> 						any mail queued
> up for you will never get delivered... because
> we do not trust that a machine calling in is actually who it says it
> is. It is a trivial command to change a machine's nodename...
> 		So, except in rare cases, we only deliver mail when
> we make the call.
>
> Hope this clears up some questions. This situation isn't perfect,
> but we are putting security above convenience and cost. If anyone
> has any truly wonderful ideas which would satisfy the various
> criteria under which we work then we'd love to hear them.

Uh, yeah.  Not to get snarky or anything, but many years ago
someone came up with this wonderful idea called a PASSWORD.
Just give each machine its own login.

I realize this would mean a little more administrative overhead
at your end; setting up a link would require a bit more contact
with the other end.  But it's hardly onerous.  We have 45 uucp entries
in our /etc/passwd, each with its own login name and password.
Doesn't bother the other 1,490 users in the least.

Of course, you'd no longer have the cuteness of running uucico
on your dialup lines instead of getty.  I must admit I was a bit
startled when I first saw the L.sys entry for calling att (there's
no login mechanism at all, you just dial and connect).

bill@carpet.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (10/01/88)

In article <1988Sep29.210829.29073@lsuc.uucp> dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman) writes:
>In article <2300@att.ATT.COM>, jhc@att.ATT.COM (Jonathan Hawbrook-Clark) writes:
[ Jonathan's remarks ... ]

[ David's remarks, followed by David's remarks that I'm following up ]

>Of course, you'd no longer have the cuteness of running uucico
>on your dialup lines instead of getty.  I must admit I was a bit
>startled when I first saw the L.sys entry for calling att (there's
>no login mechanism at all, you just dial and connect).

Now hold on here for just a minute.  This suggests that the att gateways
operate just like ihnp4 used to, i.e.  any site on earth with something
to say can call in and it will be said (even if it's to /dev/null).  This
makes a lot of sense from the standpoint of collecting as much att mail
and news as possible, but it makes no sense whatsoever from a security
point of view.

Admittedly, "there's no login mechanism at all", but I thought there was at
lease a verification of Shere.  Perhaps Jonathan's (deleted) remarks about
any site being able to masquerade as any other apply, but just *any* site who
wants to shovel into att can call and do it?  If that's so, I need to crawl
back into my shell and watch my toenails grow.
--
Bill Kennedy  Internet:  bill@ssbn.WLK.COM
                Usenet:  { killer | att | rutgers | uunet!bigtex }!ssbn!bill

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/03/88)

According to dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman):
>> [att does] not trust that a machine calling in is actually who it says it
>> is. It is a trivial command to change a machine's nodename...
>> 		So, except in rare cases, we only deliver mail when
>> we make the call.
>
>Uh, yeah.  Not to get snarky or anything, but many years ago
>someone came up with this wonderful idea called a PASSWORD.
>Just give each machine its own login.

...which solves nothing.  If I (ateng) have a UUCP login on att, then I
can change my nodename to uunet and then use the 'ateng' login.  Presto,
I've logged in successfully and picked up uunet's mail.

This does leave tracks in the log files; but the damage is done by the time
it's discovered.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

les@chinet.UUCP (Leslie Mikesell) (10/05/88)

In article <1988Oct3.115720.2175@ateng.ateng.com> chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>...which solves nothing.  If I (ateng) have a UUCP login on att, then I
>can change my nodename to uunet and then use the 'ateng' login.  Presto,
>I've logged in successfully and picked up uunet's mail.

HDB uucp knows how to check LOGNAME against the entries in the Permissions
file.  If you give each machine its own login name and password it is
possible to detect the nodename/logname mismatch.

Les Mikesell

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (10/05/88)

David Sherman:
>>Uh, yeah.  Not to get snarky or anything, but many years ago
>>someone came up with this wonderful idea called a PASSWORD.
>>Just give each machine its own login.
Chip Salzenberg:
>...which solves nothing.  If I (ateng) have a UUCP login on att, then I
>can change my nodename to uunet and then use the 'ateng' login.  Presto,
>I've logged in successfully and picked up uunet's mail.

Not if att is ran HDB uucp, assigned a different account and password
to each neighbor, and used the VALIDATE keyword in their Permissions
file.  If Permissions is set up correctly, then the only way for att
to believe that you are uunet is to log in with uunet's password.  I'm
told that the 4.3 UUCP has similar features.  We can make the UUCP
network a lot more secure than it is now with very little work, and
major mail hubs should especially concentrate on this.

--
- Joe Buck, card-carrying ACLU liberal
	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, or uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck,

brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) (10/05/88)

In article <1988Oct3.115720.2175@ateng.ateng.com> chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to dave@lsuc.uucp (David Sherman):
>>Uh, yeah.  Not to get snarky or anything, but many years ago
>>someone came up with this wonderful idea called a PASSWORD.
>>Just give each machine its own login.
>
>...which solves nothing.  If I (ateng) have a UUCP login on att, then I
>can change my nodename to uunet and then use the 'ateng' login.  Presto,
>I've logged in successfully and picked up uunet's mail.
>
>This does leave tracks in the log files; but the damage is done by the time
>it's discovered.

But what about HDB UUCP?  The LOGNAME and VALIDATE fields of the Permissions
file can prevent some login from using another node name.

I would hope that the att sites are using HDB, since it would sure
make an awful large /usr/spool/uucp directory if they weren't.  Not to
mention the almost unmanagability of it.

Brian.
--
 +-------------------+--------------------------------------------------------+
 | Brian Onn         | UUCP:..!{uunet!mnetor, watmath!utai}!lsuc!ncrcan!brian |

wisner@zug.AI.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (10/06/88)

>...which solves nothing.  If I (ateng) have a UUCP login on att, then I
>can change my nodename to uunet and then use the 'ateng' login.  Presto,
>I've logged in successfully and picked up uunet's mail.

"The LOGNAME entry

	LOGNAME=uucpfriend VALIDATE=eagle:owl:hawk

specifies that if a remote machine that claims to be eagle, owl, or hawk
logs in on your 3B2 Computer, it must have used the login uucpfriend."

-- The AT&T 3B2 System V Release 2.0 Basic Networking Utilities Guide
   discussing the format of the /usr/lib/uucp/Permissions file.

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (10/06/88)

Chip Salzenberg writes:
>...which solves nothing.  If I (ateng) have a UUCP login on att, then I
>can change my nodename to uunet and then use the 'ateng' login.  Presto,
>I've logged in successfully and picked up uunet's mail.

wrong.  the att machines run honey danber with SENDFILES=NO in Permissions.
this was pointed out in an earlier note by an att person.

	peter

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/08/88)

Okay, okay, I surrender!

At least five people, including no less a net.personage than the one and
only peter honeyman, have pointed out that HDB UUCP -- which I have never
used, sad to say -- is capable of restricting a given UUCP login for use
by a given host.

Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.  Enough already.