[comp.mail.uucp] How to tell smail about fast Internet paths?

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/03/88)

ncoast is a UUCP site running smail with pathalias.  My experience is that
pathalias uses only UUCP paths; but for Internet-registered sites, it is
often faster to hand mail off to "hal".  (For sites on ethernet, hal is
faster.  For Internet-regstered sites using UUCP, it can be faster to use
one of our other connections.)

My question:  does smail actually know about Internet routing, or do I have
to send all mail to "hal" (which ONLY knows Internet sites, they don't run
pathalias) to use fast ethernetted mail routes?  I'd really like to avoid
using the pathalias-generated 6-site hop to uunet when "hal!uunet.uu.net"
works faster (as an example; other examples abound).

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	  For comp.sources.misc send mail to <backbone>!sources-misc

page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) (10/04/88)

You could tell pathalias (through your top.local or paths.local or
whatever) that hal handles all mail for .edu, .com, .arpa, etc.

The real answer is arpatxt, but you probably didn't want to know that.
It requires more work to maintain.

[how many sites are running arpatxt?  I only know of three.]

..Bob
--
Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

rynes@isis.CWRU.Edu (Edward M. Rynes Esq.) (10/04/88)

In article <9448@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>The real answer is arpatxt, but you probably didn't want to know that.
>It requires more work to maintain.

>[how many sites are running arpatxt?  I only know of three.]

>Bob Page, U of Lowell CS Dept.  page@swan.ulowell.edu  ulowell!page

Cwjcc does (sort of) although I haven't updated the maps lately.  In fact I've
never updated the maps. (It's only been a few months though)  I suppose I
should go out and get another copy of the hosts.txt file.  How often do other
sites update their "arpatxt" info?
--
Edward M. Rynes  <rynes@isis.CWRU.Edu>               "Hope doesn't serve me now.
Jennings Computing Center                   I don't move fast at all these days.

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (10/06/88)

Brandon, this may sound like a scurvey thing to do ...

However.  First off you have a local file you use for patching up
your pathalias data, right?  So you put in that file a few other
links that you want 'hal' to have.  Like so ...

hal	uunet.uu.net(DIRECT), ucbvax.berkeley.edu(DIRECT), ...
uunet.uu.net uunet(DIRECT)
ucbvax.berkeley.edu ucbvax(DIRECT)

which will generate you some paths like

	hal!uunet.uu.net!uunet!ukma!david

Which becomes uunet!ukma!david@uunet.uu.net when it reaches hal,
hopefully.
--
<-- David Herron; The official MMDF guy of the 1988 Olympics <david@ms.uky.edu>
<-- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

dyer@spdcc.COM (Steve Dyer) (10/09/88)

In article <9448@swan.ulowell.edu> page@swan.ulowell.edu (Bob Page) writes:
>You could tell pathalias (through your top.local or paths.local or
>whatever) that hal handles all mail for .edu, .com, .arpa, etc.
>The real answer is arpatxt, but you probably didn't want to know that.
>It requires more work to maintain.

I tried using arpatxt a few months ago along with the posted maps and
the resuling paths file was bizarre: about 50% of the mail I sent seemed
to be routed through XN.LL.MIT.EDU (Lincoln Labs).  Needless to say, I haven't
tried this again...

--
Steve Dyer
dyer@harvard.harvard.edu