[comp.mail.uucp] Help with uuxqt or rmail error message

jeh@crash.cts.com (Jamie Hanrahan) (10/08/88)

When gnuucp under VMS sends mail to a remote Unix system, that system
is responding by sending back a message whose subject line reads:

     Subject: uuxqt cmd (rmail jeh) status (signal 138, exit 0)

Can anyone shed any light on this?

edf@rocky2.rockefeller.edu (David MacKenzie) (10/09/88)

While we're at it, every so often between two uucp v2 SVR1 systems
people get messages from uucp that contain the message, "remote access
to path/file denied."  I've never been able figure out what that means,
and our uucp documentation doesn't give a clue.  Does this mean the
message wasn't delivered on the remote end, wasn't spooled locally, or
what?
-----
David MacKenzie
Environmental Defense Fund
edf@rocky2.rockefeller.edu (...rutgers!cmcl2!rocky2!edf)

wisner@zug.AI.MIT.EDU (Bill Wisner) (10/09/88)

REMOTE ACCESS TO PATH/FILE DENIED generally indicates that the destination
directory is either unwritable by uucp or doesn't exist.
--

honey@umix.cc.umich.edu (Peter Honeyman) (10/09/88)

David MacKenzie writes:
>While we're at it, every so often between two uucp v2 SVR1 systems
>people get messages from uucp that contain the message, "remote access
>to path/file denied."  I've never been able figure out what that means,
>and our uucp documentation doesn't give a clue.  Does this mean the
>message wasn't delivered on the remote end, wasn't spooled locally, or
>what?

here's the scenario.  host1 has a uux request spooled for host2.  host1
sends the first file.  host2 receives the file, and commits it to the
host1 subdirectory.  the connection fails before host1 receives
notification of successful receipt (CY message).

now host2 has the file in its subdirectory for host1, but host1 thinks
it has yet to successfully transfer the file.  when host1
re-establishes a connection to host2, host1 tries to resend the file.
because the file already exists, host2 rejects the request.  host1 then
sends the second file and everything works as intended.

in summary, it's benign.

	peter

ronnie@edge.UUCP (Ronnie Coffin) (10/14/88)

> When gnuucp under VMS sends mail to a remote Unix system, that system
> is responding by sending back a message whose subject line reads:
>
>      Subject: uuxqt cmd (rmail jeh) status (signal 138, exit 0)

I have been receiving different error signals when attempting to run
mail over Ethernet between some of our systems.  I have the same
configuration on all systems and the same permissions, yet on some
systems the mail works and others it doesn't.  It would be very
helpful if we could have a published listing or if someone can direct
me where to find such a listing of all the signals and error messages
and what the probable cause of the problems might be.

Any information would be highly appreciated!

--
=====\\ \\    | Ronnie Coffin					|
===== \\ \\   | System Administrator   				|