[comp.mail.uucp] Should all hosts be registered

w-tedt@microsoft.UUCP (Ted Timar) (10/28/88)

In article <42300005@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu> kai@uicsrd.csrd.uiuc.edu writes:

> > /* Written  3:41 pm  Oct 20, 1988 by kls@ditka.UUCP */
> >
> > Changing the name is, of course, the *right* solution.
>
> Are we supposed to register EVERY site on EVERY local network with a name
> unique to the world, just so that some rude people will be happy?  How long
> before we run out of unique names?
>
> I'd rather just register the gateway between our local network and the rest
> of the world, and let people route through it.
>
> If someone far far away tries to route mail through our registered gateway to
> a non-registered host on our local network, a re-routing host might
> incorrectly recognize that local name as someone else's registered host, and
> send the mail to the wrong place.  Is that my fault for making sure every
> hostname we use is unique?
>
> A better solution would be to avoid and/or eliminate those obnoxious
> re-routing programs.  Maybe this has been proposed before, but how about a
> new header, "NOreroute:".
>
> I see no benefit to forcefully re-routing all mail.  If the address path
> given to your mailer correctly lists a host you talk to, please LEAVE IT
> ALONE!
>
> Patrick Wolfe  (pwolfe@kai.com, uunet!kailand!pwolfe)

I agree completely with the above. Furthermore, I would like to point
out that the powers that be at the UUCP mapping progect (mainly at rutgers
the worlds greatest proponent of rerouting) agree too.

Notice the extracts from the following article.
= From: uucpmap@rutgers.rutgers.edu (UUCP Mapping Project)
= Newsgroups: comp.mail.maps
= Subject: UUCP map for README
= Date: 25 Oct 88 05:23:22 GMT
= Expires: 9 Dec 88 05:23:20 GMT
= Sender: pleasant@rutgers.rutgers.edu
= # belong to the unofficial ".UUCP domain".  Membership in the UUCP Zone
= # allows organizations and individuals to register official, unique,
= # domain names, recognized by all major academic computing networks
= # worldwide.  For more information about joining the UUCP Zone, send
= # electronic mail to the UUCP Project at one of the addresses
= #	uucp-query@stargate.com
= #	{uiucdcs,rutgers}!stargate!uucp-query
= #	stargate!uucp-query@rutgers.edu
They seem to feel that becoming registered is not needed, but results in
some priviledges ("allows").

= # Please note that the purpose of this map is to make routers within
= # UUCP work.  The eventual direction is to make the map smaller (through
= # the use of domains), not larger.  As such, sites with lots of local
= # machines connected together are encouraged to create a few gateway
= # machines and to make arrangements that these gateways can forward mail
= # to your local users.  We would prefer not to have information listing
= # the machines on your local area networks, and certainly not your
= # personal computers and workstations.  If you need such information for
= # local mail delivery, create a supplement in pathalias form which you
= # do not publish, but which you combine with the published data when you
= # run pathalias.  We also do not want information about machines which
= # are not on UUCP, that is, which are not reachable with the ! notation
= # from the main UUCP cluster.
Doesn't this say that if you have local sites, they DON'T want them listed.
It seems to.

= # If you don't have pathalias, it has been posted to mod.sources most
= # recently in October 1987.  If you don't have access to a mod.sources
= # archive, contact the mod.sources moderator (currently Rich Salz,
= # sources@uunet.uu.net.)
= #
= # The remainder of this file describes the format of the UUCP map data.
= # It was written July 9, 1985 by Erik E. Fair <ucbvax!fair>, and last
= # updated July 12, 1985 by Mark Horton <stargate!mark>.
?? mod.sources? oh, this file hasn't been updated since July 12,1985.

= # One of the goals of the UUCP Project is to keep duplicate UUCP host
= # names from appearing because there exist mailers in the world which
= # assume that the UUCP name space contains no duplicates (and attempts
= # UUCP path optimization on that basis), and it's just plain confusing
= # to have two different sites with the same name.
= #
= # At present, the most severe restriction on UUCP names is that the name
= # must be unique somewhere in the first six characters, because of a
= # poor software design decision made by AT&T for the System V release of
= # UNIX.
I'd suspect that there are registered sites which break this rule.

= # LOCAL AREA NETWORKS
= #
= # We do not want local area network information in the published map.
= # If you want to put your LAN in your local Path.* files, read about
= # the LAN syntax in the pathalias.1 manual page.
They are saying this again.

= # Questions or comments about this specification should also be directed
= # at rutgers!uucpmap.
= #
= SHAR_EOF
= :	End of shell archive
= exit 0

This is as much a request that this info be updated as a comment on it's
inconsistency with the current opinions held by these people.
--
Ted Timar				uunet!microsoft!w-tedt
These aren't opinions, these are facts.