[comp.mail.uucp] Rerouting considered GOOD

erik@naggum.se (Erik Naggum) (09/22/88)

I have been following the discussion of active rerouting in
comp.mail.uucp and on the info-smail list for a while, and
would like to give the following rather longish comment on it.

It seems that the arguments against it are as follows:

	1.  The UUCP maps are out of date, so we act on old (=wrong) data
	2.  UUCP has _explicit_ routing, so leave a user's choice alone
	3.  Nodes don't always register properly, so the maps are incomplete

Case 1. is the fault of the map builders and distribution medium/mode.
When map updates are sent in to the "responsible person" (in quotes,
since he might not exist), maps _should_be_ updated immediately at all
backbones or "active rerouters".  Why not make this automatic?  If
you're demanding manpower, why not charge a small fee for this?  (I
think it would be possible to make daemons do this kind of work.)

Case 2. is clearly wrong.  Time for a reality check, here.  How did the
bang-paths originate?  By someone decreeing that "my address is
foo!bar!heaven!hell!zot!machine!user, as seen from machine xctptlr,
which you must find for yourself"?  Nooo.  The whole point with
bangpath addresses is that they are based on neighbors talking to each
other, and you are making a list of neighbors that you know will help
land a message in your mailbox when you give it away.  Preferably the
first node is a well-known one.  (Which speaks for going to make it a
domain, and let the domain entry point worry about what's inside it.)
No-one "explicitly" routes anything, it's just "_a_ known way to get
here, at least the last time I checked".  With the bangpath universe
being in state of flux (that's your argument, anyway), how dare anyone
use a bangpath without checking that it still works?  (Can you expect
people to send their message on the basis that they will be testing the
network connectivity by doing so?)  An explicit route to me is a way to
_force_ a message to travel along this route, and the only place I've
seen it is in the Return-Path field, but I don't even find it useful
even here, since a fast route one way is not necessarily a fast route
back.

What an "explicit route" entails is that the sender knows how the whole
set of neighbors that his message will be passing through are talking
to each other.  This is so blatantly in contradiction with the dictum
that the bangpath universe is changing constantly, that I wonder why it
hasn't been mentioned before.  You scream and shout because active
rerouters "know more about me than I do", but YOU know more about a
whole lot of nodes and neighbors than THEY do if you think of the
bangpath as an "explicit route".  How can you DO that?  Why should YOU
be allowed to do something you disallow others to do?

Case 3. is a problem which has to do with sloppy system managers and
people who can't be trusted to do their job right.  It's most
emphatically NOT the fault of either pathalias, uucp maps or "active
rerouting" that some jerks prefer to stay in the dusk and send mail at
people.  Stomp on those jerks instead of at the "active rerouters" if
you think stomping on people is so great.  They are the reason behind
the arguments _against_ rerouting; they choose node names some people
already have; they don't understand how this game works and that's
their fault, too.  I'd much rather return mail from nodes I don't know
about to the sender (Return-Path and explicit routing comes in handy
here!) than childishly marking "active rerouters" DEAD.  The last
method only propagates the mess by excusing the real offenders.

I have based my arguments on the following terse premises:

	1.  All nodes in the network should be registered
	2.  We're going to move to domain notation, anyway
	3.  People want mail from A to B, to which a path is the
	    _means_, not the _end_.
	4.  Pathalias is great, and relieves us all of a lot of
	    drudgery to get our mail systems work

I also have abstracted your (collective) arguments as follows

	1.  A mail sender can be demanded to know the network topology
	    of the world when he wants to send mail to someone
	2.  Registration is just a way to make it harder for people to
	    get on the net
	3.  It doesn't matter that people use expensive routes; it's not
	    their money, anyway
	4.  It's impractical or impossible to know the network topology
	    of the world at the backbone sites

Of course, point 1 refers to a much narrower context than does point 4,
but still, if 4 is true, how can 1 be true to any degree at all?

At my site, I do the following things with incoming mail:

	1.  If it has a bangpath in the headers, I convert it to
	    <user>@<lastnode>.uucp, and store the bangpath away for
	    future use.
	2.  If I know how to route to an address in the envelope,
	    I rewrite it to what I know.  If I don't know, I let my
	    backbone take care of it, or the first hop if I know it.
	3.  If the last component of the address is a domain name, I
	    clip it there and convert it to <user>@<domain>, while
	    storing the path away for future use.
	4.  For domains that I know how to route to, I convert '%' to
	    '@' and throw away the relay node.  (Presently, this is
	    only ".uninett", a Norwegian joke.)  (Rationale: If people
	    haven't bothered to register their little domain, that's
	    just stupid.  Also, there may be other, better ways to get
	    into that domain than via the relay node.  I don't know
	    this is true from any machine, but certainly from a lot.)
	5.  For nodes that I talk to directly, or are a known path
	    away, I convert their paths to domain notation, if relevant.
	6.  For unknown nodes that appear "behind" a known node to me,
	    except if that is my backbone, I send a mail to postmasters
	    at the following machines: my own, the offending node's,
	    and the immediately preceding node's, and return the
	    message to the user, telling him that mail service in
	    unavailable.  The mail to the postmasters do not include the
	    message, but only the paths or addresses of the sender.
	7.  I respect RFC822 source routes, btw.
	8.  Minor point:  I rewrite "bang!path!user (J Random User)" to
	    "J Random User <user@path.uucp>", and add quotes around the
	    user name iff it contains delimiters.

I'd like just to route messages from unknown nodes to /dev/null, so that
I don't have to pay for returning it, or so that no-one has to pay for
the return message.  I couldn't just send it out, either, given that I'm
such a hardnosed proponent of registrating nodes.  One way to do it, is
of course for the immediate neighbor to convert it to user%unknown, and
I don't make any fuss with such addresses.  (Although some jerks think
that '%' is just a variant of '@', and break things when parsing, I
refuse to consider jerks as important enough to do anything about.)

When mail gets bounced or people complain, I look at the things I did to
a message, and sees if that was all right, and the fault is with the
destination node.  Otherwise, I send a test message to postmaster at the
offending node routed as explicitly as I can make it, and look at what I
get back.  (If "postmaster" is "unknown user", the case is resolved. :-)

To sum up, and make statements you can quote (instead of all the text
above), when you want to attack my views:

	1.  A node which is not registered does not exist.
	2.  Non-existent (unregistered) nodes can't send mail.
	3.  A bang path is the means, the delivery the end.
	4.  The maps should be updated as soon as a change occurs.
	5.  We should get away from bangpaths, and switch to domains.
	6.  Address parsing is not difficult.
	7.  Rewriting is OK, since it only transforms something which
	    works, but is outside the standard to something which is
	    inside the standard (and still works).

I do not ignore the fact that a lot of manpower may be required to get
things right, but that this would be a one-time effort.  I do not ignore
the fact that some nodes only speak bang-paths, but they'd better get a
neighbor than can function as a gateway for them.  No need to bother the
whole world just because some people are traditionalists.

Thank you for reading my long note.  I hope I have managed to express
myself, not necessarily to your liking, but unambigously and clear.

--Erik
--
 +----+     +----+  Email:  erik@naggum.se --or-- erik@naggum.uio.no
===   |   ===   /   Snail:  Naggum Software; POB 1560 VIKA; OSLO 0118; NORWAY

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (09/24/88)

I've been watching all this stuff on re-routing, and am in two minds whether
or not it's a good thing.  One the one hand, I don't want stuff going off into
space because of poorly maintained maps or otherwise.  On the other hand, a
lot of times I haven't got the foggiest idea how to get mail to a given site,
and would appreciate a relay along the way cleaning up my routing (as an
exercise, pick a site in Ireland, and send them mail from California -- this
never works for me - I've tried it -- the routing is unwieldy).  I would
suggest that we generate a new line for the mail header, called "Options:".
This would contain some sort of options list, including whether or not the
mail should be re-routed.  I know, I know, no-one wants to do anything more
to RFC822, but it seems to me, that this could be extremely useful.  Some other
possible options could limit bouncing (A mail server about 400 miles from here
had one of its files bounced back by our mail-daemon, because there was a lock
on the mailbox (stupidly) -- why send ~50K of data back to its source?  What
did the mail-server care whether or not I got the data).  An option could say
route to /dev/null if undeliverable.  Also, what about auto-acknowledge.  Every
once in a while I get paranoid about routing and other stuff, when I send a
message to someone, and *nothing* happens.  I mean, I go through this soul-
searching, about whether to re-send or not.  If the recipient didn't get it,
then good - re-sending and/or checking the path will help.  If he did, and
hasn't had a chance to respond, re-sending the message will guarantee nasty
replies :-).  There are probably hundreds of good idea's for an Options: line,
and if the actual options are kept OUT of RFC822, it could be easy to maintain.
Furthermore, to aid in backwards/forwards/in/out compatibility, mail systems
which receive options they don't understand, would just put a note in any
bounce, or acknowledgment, saying such-and-such an option was ignored, instead
of getting sick all over the carpet.  Anyway, these are the ramblings of a
System Administrator, late on a Friday afternoon who is *still* waiting to
hear back from Richard Stallman (Are you listening, Richard???).  Regards...
						- Der
--
Reply:	dtynan@sultra.UUCP		(Der Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{mips,pyramid}!sultra!dtynan

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (09/26/88)

In article <2540@sultra.UUCP> dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) writes:

>a lot of times I haven't got the foggiest idea how to get mail to a given site,
>and would appreciate a relay along the way cleaning up my routing (as an
>exercise, pick a site in Ireland ...

Ok, let's say I wanted to get mail to user@uujmvx, a site the maps claim
to be in Northern Ireland.  Running smail on ditka tells me this would
be routed as follows:

    emoryu1!gatech!ncar!oddjob!mimsy!uunet!mcvax!ukc!uujmvx!user

Hypothetically speaking, let's say uunet was a rerouter.  (It is not, to
the best of my knowledge.)  If I had wanted uunet to "clean up my routing"
I would have let it do the routing in the first place, by mailing to

    emoryu1!gatech!ncar!oddjob!mimsy!uunet!uujmvx!user

or even just let ditka figure out how to get to uunet

    uunet!uujmvx!user

Presumably, I did not add the extra three hops to the address because
my fingers needed the exercise.  Therefore, unless there is some serious
problem with those links (such as uunet not talking to mcvax anymore)
uunet should assume I had some reason for putting them in and leave its
bloody paws off them.  (Which it does, as far as I can tell.)

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	{gatech!emoryu1,uunet!dasys1}!ditka!kls
1-505/667-2402 (work)	|ARPA	rt1!ditka!kls@hc.dspo.gov

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (09/27/88)

Sorry, Karl.  ihnp4 and seismo are the best examples that sites go away
and mailing lists DON'T get updated.   Routing is not a thing for humans
should have to waste their time doing.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (09/27/88)

I think I've finally figured out what makes active-routing proponents tick.

According to lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear):
>Sorry, Karl.  ihnp4 and seismo are the best examples that sites go away
>and mailing lists DON'T get updated.   Routing is not a thing for humans
>should have to waste their time doing.
 ^^^^^^

The active routing people are optimists.  They start with correct premises:
"People _shouldn't_ have to make routes by hand; the maps _should_ always be
accurate." They then optimistically conclude: "Therefore we _should_ always
believe the maps instead of source routes."

Every postmaster should have this sign over her/his desk:

		 | What should be is not always what is. |

To clarify, here is a table:

      Things                  Should be           Are
      ------                  ---------           ---
      Usenet maps             accurate            inaccurate
      Human-written routes    unnecessary         occasionally necessary
      Active routers          helpful             evil and rude
      Passive routers         half a solution     the best compromise

Any questions?
--
Chip Salzenberg                <chip@ateng.uu.net> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering                My employer may or may not agree with me.

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (09/28/88)

Chip calls active rerouters optimists.  Chip, I think you are close,
BUT no cigar.

Chip says, ``Well you assume the data is good.''

I say, ``Well I know there is bad data out there, and my solution will
be to discover/research(/divine;-) better methods of update and
propagation.''  And, in fact, I am working just on such a method.
I'll let you all in on it when it's finished.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (09/29/88)

I've just discovered that Brian Kantor has put me in his KILL file for this
group.  This is muchly sad; I don't think of myself as a flamer.  Various of
this groups readers have sent me notes of appreciation in the past, and I like
to think I cause more pleasure than frustration.  Are there more of you out
there who are thinking of KILLing me?  If I am being widely perceived as a
destructive and irritating presence, I'd like to know about it.

Anyway, on with the topic.  Today, we see Eliot still trying valiantly to save
rerouting from a well-deserved Thunk in the Network Bit Bucket:

# I say, ``Well I know there is bad data out there, and my solution will
# be to discover/research(/divine;-) better methods of update and
# propagation.''  And, in fact, I am working just on such a method.
# I'll let you all in on it when it's finished.

Eliot, please include in your divine plans a way for all active rerouters to
know which advertised remote links I don't want my mail to go through on the
day-by-day basis I make that selection; also, you should divine the list of
UNadvertised links I DO wish to use, even though I don't want anyone but me
and a small group of other sites to use them and which I therefore don't ever
write down in anyone's map entries.

This ought to be an interesting plan.
--
Paul Vixie
Work:    vixie@decwrl.dec.com    decwrl!vixie    +1 415 853 6600

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (09/29/88)

In article <Sep.27.23.33.16.1988.13499@NET.BIO.NET> lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) writes:
>I say, ``Well I know there is bad data out there, and my solution will
>be to discover/research(/divine;-) better methods of update and
>propagation.''

And then you add that to your local pathalias input.  Now you send a
message out and a rabid rerouter (thanks, Paul) gets its filthy paws
on it and trashes your hard-earned knowledge, sending your innocent
little message to bit-hell.

Unless, of course, your methods identify *all* the rabid re-routers
lurking in the darker corners of uucp-land, in which case we will all
very eagerly await your "better methods".

--

mohamed@hscfvax.harvard.edu (Mohamed Ellozy) (09/29/88)

In article <6@jove.dec.com> vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) writes:
>                                       If I am being widely perceived as a
>destructive and irritating presence, I'd like to know about it.
>
>--
>Paul Vixie

Destructive, no.  Irritating in the sense that a broken record is, yes I fear.

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (09/30/88)

Paul,

I aim to please.

Eliot
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

In article <8809212215.AA21035@naggum.se>, erik@naggum.se (Erik Naggum) writes:
> I have based my arguments [against aggressive rerouting] on the
> following terse premises:
> [four premises]

> I also have abstracted your (collective) arguments as follows

> 1. A mail sender can be demanded to know the network topology of the
>    world when he wants to send mail to someone

I don't think even Paul Vixie has claimed this.  But the sender may
know something specific about the topology and want to express it.

> 2. Registration is just a way to make it harder for people to get on
>    the net

I don't recall anyone saying registration is *just* that.

> 4. It's impractical or impossible to know the network topology of the
>    world at the backbone sites

It's impractical or impossible for anyone to know the network topology
of the world, period.  In the time it's taken me to compose this
letter, the network topology has most likely changed somehow.  How do
you propose to distribute this change to all the aggressive rerouters
before my letter I sent an hour ago works its way over there and gets
rerouted through a now-nonexistent link?

> At my site, I do the following things with incoming mail:
> 1. If it has a bangpath in the headers, I convert it to
> <user>@<lastnode>.uucp, and store the bangpath away for future use.

Hang on a moment while I mark naggum DEAD....there.

> To sum up, and make statements you can quote (instead of all the text
> above), when you want to attack my views:

> 1.  A node which is not registered does not exist.
> 2.  Non-existent (unregistered) nodes can't send mail.

This is a dreadfully narrow-minded view of the world.  How about this:
you disconnect from the rest of the net, then you won't be bothered by
all us unregistered machines who happen to want to talk to one another.

> 3.  A bang path is the means, the delivery the end.

Usually, though explicit paths have their place: for testing, or to
avoid a machine for whatever reason....

> 4.  The maps should be updated as soon as a change occurs.

They should be, but can't possibly be.  And they certainly can't be
distributed immediately.

> 5.  We should get away from bangpaths, and switch to domains.

I think I disagree.  From what I've heard, this switch would turn the
net from a graph with links all over the place into a tree (or
something close to it).  This is very vulnerable to failure,
particularly of a machine near the center of the tree.  (I wonder what
would happen if, say, uunet got hit by lightning....)  The
point-to-point nature of uucp makes a flat namespace very desireable;
unfortunately, there are simply too many machines for that!

> 6.  Address parsing is not difficult.

True, most of the time.  So?

> 7.  Rewriting is OK, since it only transforms something which works,
> but is outside the standard to something which is inside the standard
> (and still works).

If your reason were true, your conclusion would be.  Unfortunately,
aggressive rewriting often transforms something which would work into
something which doesn't work.  For example, suppose someone sends a
letter to mcgill-vision!spock!joesmith.  If this were treated sensibly,
it would be routed as necessary to reach mcgill-vision, who would then
look at spock!joesmith and send it over the Ethernet here to our
machine spock.  This is a perfectly valid bangpath and always has been.
However, if it hits an aggressive rerouter it'll end up at a high
school in Connecticut instead.  Or get dropped on the floor somewhere.

Or will you try to tell me that spock - our spock - doesn't exist?  I'm
sure the people who use it every day will be interested to hear that.

> Thank you for reading my long note.  I hope I have managed to express
> myself, not necessarily to your liking, but unambigously and clear.

For the most part, you have been.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

jbd@virgin.UUCP (J. Bruce Dawson) (10/01/88)

In article <383@ditka.UUCP> kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) writes:
>In article <Sep.27.23.33.16.1988.13499@NET.BIO.NET> lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) writes:
>>I say, ``Well I know there is bad data out there, and my solution will
>>be to discover/research(/divine;-) better methods of update and
>>propagation.''
>
>And then you add that to your local pathalias input.
>
>Unless, of course, your methods identify *all* the rabid re-routers

I frequently end up modifing the pathalias data manually to compensate for
known bad links. However, this is a pain to do everytime I get a new pathalias
database.

What's wrong with a "pathalias search list"?

This would work something like:

1) Look in local site's list of paths (say, /usr/lib/uucp/localpaths). If
not found, then:

2) Look in network's list of paths (say, /usr/lib/uucp/paths). If not
found, then issue a message.

Comments?
--
J. Bruce Dawson			(603)880-1517 office (603)880-6629 home
33 Cortez Drive, Nashua, NH. 03062

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (10/02/88)

In article <1319@mcgill-vision.UUCP> mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (der
Mouse) writes:

> Or will you try to tell me that spock - our spock - doesn't exist?  I'm
> sure the people who use it every day will be interested to hear that.

Maybe they would be very interested to hear that because their system
isn't registered, it is very possible that mail bound for them will be
lost.

Knowing that, don't you think you should do something about it?
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/04/88)

I think we're getting somewhere now.

According to lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear):
>Chip calls active rerouters optimists.  [...]
>I say, ``Well I know there is bad data out there, and my solution will
>be to discover/research(/divine;-) better methods of update and
>propagation.''  And, in fact, I am working just on such a method.
>I'll let you all in on it when it's finished.

Finally!  As many have noticed, Eliot Lear is one of the most consistent
supporters of active rerouting.  Yet even he admits that the _current_
method of generating and distributing map info is _not_ good enough for
reliable re-routing!

My conclusion:  If and when Eliot comes up with a scheme that really
provides a way for active rerouters to work reliably, then active rerouting
may become viable option.  But with the _current_ method of map propagation,
active rerouting is a Bad Thing (not to mention Evil and Rude).

(Eliot may not agree with my conclusion, but I find my reasoning sound. :-])
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/07/88)

As quoted from <6@jove.dec.com> by vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie):
+---------------
| I've just discovered that Brian Kantor has put me in his KILL file for this
| group.  This is muchly sad; I don't think of myself as a flamer.  Various of
+---------------

Figures.  I bet rutgers!postmaster has you KILLed too, if he/she/it even
reads this newsgroup; idealists aren't known for accepting the real world....

+---------------
| # I say, ``Well I know there is bad data out there, and my solution will
| # be to discover/research(/divine;-) better methods of update and
| # propagation.''  And, in fact, I am working just on such a method.
| # I'll let you all in on it when it's finished.
|
| Eliot, please include in your divine plans a way for all active rerouters to
| know which advertised remote links I don't want my mail to go through on the
| day-by-day basis I make that selection; also, you should divine the list of
| UNadvertised links I DO wish to use, even though I don't want anyone but me
| and a small group of other sites to use them and which I therefore don't ever
| write down in anyone's map entries.
+---------------

Also include a method of getting them into use without requiring sites like
ncoast to run pathalias every day.  We don't all have four-digit Vaxen.  (I
say this because if active rerouting becomes the accepted way to handle mail,
ncoast will probably do it as well, being that we pass lots of mail.)

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, uunet!marque!ncoast!allbery			DELPHI: ALLBERY
	  For comp.sources.misc send mail to <backbone>!sources-misc

dboyes@uoregon.uoregon.edu (David Boyes) (10/09/88)

>Figures.  I bet rutgers!postmaster has you KILLed too, if he/she/it even
>reads this newsgroup; idealists aren't known for accepting the real world....

Sigh. Give Mel a break -- he's trying to make something good happen,
whether everyone else thinks so or not.

>[a rather hostile comment about map update schemes...]
>Also include a method of getting them into use without requiring sites like
>ncoast to run pathalias every day.  We don't all have four-digit Vaxen.  (I
>say this because if active rerouting becomes the accepted way to handle mail,
>ncoast will probably do it as well, being that we pass lots of mail.)

Having dealt with networks that are totally map-driven (BITNET, for
example), it *IS* possible to have reasonably* up-to-date maps,
PROVIDED someone takes the time and effort to do so. With BITNET,
where if you aren't in the routing tables, you CAN'T communicate, it's
a matter of necessity. The scheme developed is simple, and I think
someone already suggested it -- a base file and small update files
applied on a periodic basis, usually monthly.

To give you a sense of what's involved, the current routing
information files are approximately 40,000 records long (card images
-- this is IBMland remember). The monthly update files are usually
250-700 records and take approximately 15 seconds of CPU on a 4341
(roughly equivalent to a 11/780) to apply. It's significant, but not
overwhelming.

As far as the issue of private or local links go, if you don't want
problems with them and don't want to register them, nothing showing
those links should ever leave your site.

--
David Boyes | Internet: dboyes@drizzle.cs.uoregon.edu   | (503) 686-4394
            | BITNET: dboyes@uoregon 		        |

moore@cygnusx1.cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore) (10/10/88)

In article <2947@uoregon.uoregon.edu> dboyes@drizzle.UUCP (David Boyes) writes:
>Having dealt with networks that are totally map-driven (BITNET, for
>example), it *IS* possible to have reasonably* up-to-date maps,
>PROVIDED someone takes the time and effort to do so. With BITNET,
>where if you aren't in the routing tables, you CAN'T communicate, it's
>a matter of necessity. The scheme developed is simple, and I think
>someone already suggested it -- a base file and small update files
>applied on a periodic basis, usually monthly.

One of the reasons this works for BITNET is that each node only routes messages
as far as the next node in the path.  This means that a computer center with
several machines can get away with rearranging its local network (to cope with
broken machines, etc.) as long as its BITNET links with the outside world do
not change.

There's no inherent reason that the UUCP world could not be handled
similarly, but it would require substantial changes in almost everyone's
mailer, and more discipline as to how routing table updates were handled.

What if the standard way of handling mail addressed to luser@foo.UUCP were
	- if 'foo' is your machine, deliver it locally, else
	- deliver the mail to luser@foo.UUCP in care of the next node
	  in the path to 'foo', as determined by your local node's routing
	  table.   If that node were 'bar', then the command issued by
	  your machine would be something like
	  uux "bar!rmail luser@foo.UUCP !message"
thus trusting each node to perform part of the routing rather than choosing
the entire path at any point?

[as I put on my ring of flame resistance...]
Keith Moore
UT Computer Science Dept.	Internet/CSnet: moore@utkcs2.cs.utk.edu
107 Ayres Hall, UT Campus	BITNET: moore@utkcs1
Knoxville Tennessee 37996-1301	Telephone: +1 615 974 0822

In article <2947@uoregon.uoregon.edu>, dboyes@uoregon.uoregon.edu (David Boyes) writes:
> Having dealt with networks that are totally map-driven (BITNET, for
> example), it *IS* possible to have reasonably* up-to-date maps,

BITNET has a central authority.
Usenet doesn't.

Usenet isn't BITNET. BITNET isn't Usenet.

Speaking Italian in Rome doesn't help if it's 55 AD.
--
Peter da Silva  `-_-'  Ferranti International Controls Corporation.
"Have you hugged  U  your wolf today?"            peter@ficc.uu.net

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/11/88)

According to moore@cygnusx1.cs.utk.edu (Keith Moore):
>One of the reasons this works for BITNET is that each node only routes messages
>as far as the next node in the path.  [...]
>
>There's no inherent reason that the UUCP world could not be handled
>similarly, but it would require substantial changes in almost everyone's
>mailer, and more discipline as to how routing table updates were handled.

Not to mention infinite loop detection.

(Incidentally, active routers also have the potential for infinite loops.)
--

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (10/11/88)

Peter da Silva writes:

> Speaking Italian in Rome doesn't help if it's 55 AD.

And if man were meant to fly, he'd have wings.
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/13/88)

According to lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear):
>Peter da Silva writes:
>> Speaking Italian in Rome doesn't help if it's 55 AD.
>And if man were meant to fly, he'd have wings.

And if comp.mail.uucp were meant for stupid non-sequiters, it would have
been named differently.

Please, folks, let's keep it technical and objective.  Literary allusions
are fine, but *explain* them.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!
	   Beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers.

lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear) (10/13/88)

For the intellectually impaired:

For some reason, many people seem to believe that what is should be.
Thus, the old argument, if men were meant to fly...
--
Eliot Lear
[lear@net.bio.net]

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/14/88)

According to lear@NET.BIO.NET (Eliot Lear):
>For some reason, many people seem to believe that what is should be.
>Thus, the old argument, if men were meant to fly...

I thank Eliot for the clarification.  However, he misunderstands the
arguments against active routing.  I attempt here to clarify myself.

Proponents of active routing believe in the power of positive thinking.  For
example, the fact "the maps *should* be accurate" becomes, in their minds,
"let's assume the maps *are* accurate." If they wish to thus deceive
themselves, that's fine.  However, active routers subject all mail passing
through their system to the effects of their personal delusions, and that is
*not* fine.

It is a fact that, *given the current method of map generation*, active
routing is Evil and Rude.  Even Eliot has admitted as much, by retreating to
the position his New and Improved map generation scheme will heal all
wounds.  For now, passive routing is the best compromise.  It's not perfect,
but it's the best we can do *today*.
--

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (10/17/88)

In article <2947@uoregon.uoregon.edu> dboyes@drizzle.UUCP (David Boyes) writes

>Having dealt with networks that are totally map-driven (BITNET, for
>example), it *IS* possible to have reasonably* up-to-date maps,

As I remember, most of BITnet is done with 9600 baud, always-connected
lines.  Propagation delay is orders of magnitude different in the uucp
world.

>            | BITNET: dboyes@uoregon 		        |
>DECnet mail addresses -- just say no.

I heartily say no to DECnet mail addresses (Run PMDF and fake it:-),
but BITnet addresses aways annoyed me too.  8 char limits are pretty
bad, and I've seen all too many BITnet machines where user names are
just numbers (Hi! My name is 5.)
--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, or my 11/34)

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (10/18/88)

From article <2947@uoregon.uoregon.edu>, by dboyes@uoregon.uoregon.edu (David Boyes):
>>Figures.  I bet rutgers!postmaster has you KILLed too, if he/she/it even
>>reads this newsgroup; idealists aren't known for accepting the real world....
>
> Sigh. Give Mel a break -- he's trying to make something good happen,
> whether everyone else thinks so or not.
>
>>[a rather hostile comment about map update schemes...]
>>Also include a method of getting them into use without requiring sites like
>>ncoast to run pathalias every day.  We don't all have four-digit Vaxen.  (I

[ Who said anything about a 4 digit vaxen - see below: lakart is only a
16MHz 68020, comparable in power to 386 machines currently available to
run XENIX / SYSV / whatever else is out there in 386 land]

>>say this because if active rerouting becomes the accepted way to handle mail,
>>ncoast will probably do it as well, being that we pass lots of mail.)
>
> Having dealt with networks that are totally map-driven (BITNET, for
> example), it *IS* possible to have reasonably* up-to-date maps,
> PROVIDED someone takes the time and effort to do so. With BITNET,
> where if you aren't in the routing tables, you CAN'T communicate, it's
> a matter of necessity. The scheme developed is simple, and I think
> someone already suggested it -- a base file and small update files
> applied on a periodic basis, usually monthly.

Let's look at a script:

lakart!dg(work/lk/src)[61]-> cat /usr/lib/uucp/uumap/[ud].* | wc
  109269  426979 2783156

[i.e. there are about 3 megs of map data input]

lakart!dg(work/lk/src)[62]-> wc /usr/lib/uucp/uumap/UUPATH
   16147   32294  840512 /usr/lib/uucp/uumap/UUPATH

[and a shade over 8/10 meg of map output data]

lakart!dg(work/lk/src)[63]-> grep dopath /usr/lib/crontab
0 7 * * *	root	/usr/local/dopath

[looking at three stars tells a great deal]

lakart!dg(work/lk/src)[64]-> cat /usr/local/dopath
#! /bin/sh
#
PATH=.:/bin:/etc:/usr/bin:/usr/local
#
# first get the new map stuff from comp.mail.maps
#
umask 022
cd /usr/spool/maps
ln /usr/spool/news/comp/mail/maps/* .
unshar -c * 2>&1 >/dev/null
cp [ud].* /usr/lib/uucp/uumap
rm -f *
#
# Next get the temp stuff out of news.config
#
cd /usr/lib/uucp/uumap
rm -f d.Temp
getcon /usr/spool/news/news/config/* >d.Temp
#
# now build the path file
#
rm -f UUPATH
pathalias u.[A-Z]* d.* u.[a-z]* 2>/dev/null | pathfilt | sort -u > UUPATH
#
# finally make the index
#
rm -f Index
bm "#N" [du].* | sed 's/:#N/ /' | tr -s '\011, ' ' ' | \
    awk '{ for (i = NF; i > 1; --i) printf "%s\t%s\n", $i, $1 }' | \
    sort -u > Index
#
chown uucp *
chmod 644 [ud].* UUPATH Index

[Well - this does a fair pile of work collecting map data, a pathalias,
two sorts, an awk, a bm (highspeed grep), and a whole mess of other work.]

lakart!dg(work/lk/src)[65]-> time /usr/local/dopath
245.9u 43.7s 7:22 65% 3+79k 1775+2268io 6pf+1w

[But it still only spends 7:22 doing it - and this is only a 68020 machine.
I would expect this to really fly on a VAX 780, or one of these high speed
RISC machines: Note that this process is quite CPU bound: out of 7:22 (442
seconds) it spends over 1/2 that time running in user mode.]

The question I have after the last fifteen minutes of messing around is
"Why are people so unwilling to run pathalias on a nightly or even weekly
basis?" We do it here on all the maps, on a medium to low end machine, and
it still does it all in less than 10 minutes. Conclusion - as was stated
above Re: BITNET addressing "IT CAN WORK" but only if people are prepared
to put in a little work. For the extreme, running on PC's I'd suggest doing
it once a month, (careful with your expires) while eating breakfast on
Saturday or something. For my machine at home I don't worry - since I just
about have a smart (and very agressive) re-router installed on lakart
I don't need it: I just send to lakart!wherever!user, and it gets there.

P.S. - for the weak hearted, I doubt if anything will ever be routed
via lakart, since it costs DAILY * 2 to jump from any of our neighbours
to any other via us, and in all cases there are cheaper paths. However
on the subject of routing I would ask the following: when you drop a
letter in a mailbox, you just put the address on it. You don't really
give a wet slap how the Post Office gets it there, as long as it arrives.
Hence, by all means provide a bang path, but what is the paranoia about
someone else looking at and saying "I know a better way". As long as
your letter gets there what do you care?
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
							| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!xait!lakart!dg			+-+-+ |
AKA:	dg%lakart.uucp@harvard.harvard.edu	  	  +---+

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (10/18/88)

Chip Salzenberg sez:
> Not to mention infinite loop detection.
>
> (Incidentally, active routers also have the potential for infinite loops.)
> --
> Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
> A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!
> 	   Beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers.

Consider the following. Each message has a unique Message-ID (or is it
Message-Id) field. As a solution to a programming problem where my
mailer at home (pallio) kept sending out duplicate copies of letters
(Always two, never three or one) I hung a 300 line front end on in
front of rmail. Basically it does one of the Inews jobs: it maintains a
record of all messages that have passed through lakart in the last 30
days. When it sees a message id for a second time it returns the letter
to sender, and flags that it has done so (it is left as an exercise to
the reader to figure out why it is flagged).
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
							| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!xait!lakart!dg			+-+-+ |
AKA:	dg%lakart.uucp@harvard.harvard.edu	  	  +---+

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (10/18/88)

Chip Salzenberg sez:
> Proponents of active routing believe in the power of positive thinking.  For
> example, the fact "the maps *should* be accurate" becomes, in their minds,
> "let's assume the maps *are* accurate." If they wish to thus deceive
> themselves, that's fine.  However, active routers subject all mail passing
> through their system to the effects of their personal delusions, and that is
> *not* fine.

I invite comments on the notion of taking yet another step back, and
asking ourselves "WHY are the maps inaccurate?" After having seen the speed
with which a new machine appears in the map database, coupled with the
option of sending high speed fixes out in news.config, the only reason (IMHO)
I can see, is that individual site admins are not sending their updates
out. Incidentally for those who are interested I could post the source
of getcon(1) - the program I use to cull temporary updates from news.config
It may be the case (as was mentioned) that a location has 30 - 40
(or more) machines, BUT IF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF EACH keeps his part of
the bargain, there might be a chance.

(puts on +6 fing of fire resistance :-) )
--

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/20/88)

According to dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough):
>Chip Salzenberg sez:
>>[active routers can cause/allow infinite loops]
>
>I hung a 300 line front end on in
>When it sees a message id for a second time it returns the letter
>to sender, and flags that it has done so.

Return to sender exactly once.  Nice.

Nevertheless, detection of infinite loops is a poor excuse for continuing to
run software (active router) that can *cause* loops.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!
	   Beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers.

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/20/88)

According to dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough):
>I invite comments on the notion of taking yet another step back, and
>asking ourselves "WHY are the maps inaccurate?"

That's easy.  Admins get busy, quit, or go on vacation.  Hardware dies.
New circumstances reveal latent software problems.  Etc, ad nauseum.

>BUT IF THE ADMINISTRATOR OF EACH keeps his part of the bargain,
>there might be a chance.

Problems may arise and persist without the admin's knowledge.  In the
absence of foreknowledge, the maps will never be accurate.
--
Chip Salzenberg             <chip@ateng.com> or <uunet!ateng!chip>
A T Engineering             Me?  Speak for my company?  Surely you jest!
	   Beware of programmers carrying screwdrivers.

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (10/22/88)

Chip says...

# Problems may arise and persist without the admin's knowledge.  In the
# absence of foreknowledge, the maps will never be accurate.

...and that's true, but it's not important.

The maps could accurately reflect the territory, with instantaneous all-points
updates which were never mistaken and which tracked broken UUCP connections
hour by hour --

-- and rerouting would STILL be a bad idea.  "Bad" as in morally incorrect, as
well as simply wrong-headed with overtones of fascism and stupidity.
--

chip@ateng.ateng.com (Chip Salzenberg) (10/25/88)

According to vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie):
>Chip says...
># Problems may arise and persist without the admin's knowledge.  In the
># absence of foreknowledge, the maps will never be accurate.
>
>...and that's true, but it's not important.

Yes, it is important.

Once a person has acknowledged the truthfulness of that statement, he no
longer feels any need to search for a technical solution to make active
routing reliable, since that search has been proved to be pointless.

Those of you who believe that there is a solution, consider this a
challenge:  Find it.  But until you do, don't reroute.  Please.

(By the way, the tone of Paul's comment was uncalled for.  I agree with his
conclusion, but not his reasons.)
--

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (10/26/88)

Mr. Chip Salzenberg writes:
# Once a person has acknowledged the truthfulness of that statement, he no
# longer feels any need to search for a technical solution to make active
# routing reliable, since that search has been proved to be pointless.

That's exactly my point.  The maps should be made as correct as possible, in
order to maximize their usefulness (_whatever_ use that may be).  But if the
goal is to make active rerouting better, this isn't going to do it: there are
problems with active rerouting that run a lot deeper than inaccurate maps.

# (By the way, the tone of Paul's comment was uncalled for.  [...])

I think I agree.  Shows what too little sleep can do to one's manners.  My
apologies to all who were offended.
--

allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery) (10/27/88)

As quoted from <295@lakart.UUCP> by dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough):
+---------------
| From article <2947@uoregon.uoregon.edu>, by dboyes@uoregon.uoregon.edu (David Boyes):
| >>Also include a method of getting them into use without requiring sites like
| >>ncoast to run pathalias every day.  We don't all have four-digit Vaxen.  (I
|
| [ Who said anything about a 4 digit vaxen - see below: lakart is only a
| 16MHz 68020, comparable in power to 386 machines currently available to
| run XENIX / SYSV / whatever else is out there in 386 land]
+---------------

Wonderful.  We run AT&T System III, 2MB RAM, 68000 processor; pathalias takes
2 hours to run and if you try to do ANYTHING else the system thrashes:
pathalias takes every last byte of user memory.  In that 2 hours I can
usually expect two or more calls from hal, and often calls from our other
UUCP neighbors.  Not to mention calls to my apartment or Rich's house by
irate users.

Now, if you know of a nice fast 8-user system for $1000, please let us know...
and where were you when we sent out our plea?  We're still looking but the
best we've been offered is any number of used PDP-11's (so much for
pathalias...).

+---------------
| The question I have after the last fifteen minutes of messing around is
| "Why are people so unwilling to run pathalias on a nightly or even weekly
| basis?" We do it here on all the maps, on a medium to low end machine, and
| it still does it all in less than 10 minutes. Conclusion - as was stated
+---------------

See above.  Try the room down the hall; we're not buying.  It doesn't take
*work*, it takes *money*.  Unless you're buying us a computer to do it on,
don't tell us to run pathalias daily, or even weekly.

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, comp.sources.misc moderator and one admin of ncoast PA UN*X
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery  <PREFERRED!>	    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

brisco@pilot.njin.net (Thomas Paul Brisco) (10/27/88)

> <12855@ncoast.UUCP>, allbery@ncoast.UUCP (Brandon S. Allbery)
> Wonderful.  We run AT&T System III, 2MB RAM, 68000 processor; pathalias takes
> 2 hours to run and if you try to do ANYTHING else the system thrashes:
> pathalias takes every last byte of user memory.  In that 2 hours I can
> usually expect two or more calls from hal, and often calls from our other
> UUCP neighbors.  Not to mention calls to my apartment or Rich's house by
> irate users.

 [...]
> See above.  Try the room down the hall; we're not buying.  It doesn't take
> *work*, it takes *money*.  Unless you're buying us a computer to do it on,
> don't tell us to run pathalias daily, or even weekly.

    It seems obvious to me ... If you speak to hal so frequently,
why aren't you using them as a router?  I use an InterGraph InterPro 32C,
and while it's not hurting for CPU, I'd just rather not have the
maintenance and would prefer to use the disk space for other things.
I can't think of any reason they might find it objectionable (but
you should probably inquire first).

    Of course, they would need to be doing re-routing of some sort ...;-)

					Tp.
--

...!rutgers!brisco (UUCP)               brisco@pilot.njin.net (ARPA)
    brisco@ZODIAC (BITNET)              201-932-2351          (VOICE)

jc@heart-of-gold (John M Chambers) (11/05/88)

> # Problems may arise and persist without the admin's knowledge.  In the
> # absence of foreknowledge, the maps will never be accurate.
>
> The maps could accurately reflect the territory, with instantaneous all-points
> updates which were never mistaken and which tracked broken UUCP connections
> hour by hour --

It's worse than that.  Suppose I, as a totally conscientious system
admin (:-), discover that all my mail links are down, and I can't get
them fixed right now for some obscure reason or other.  So I go and
update my uucp.map file, and try to send it off.  Ooops!  It just sits
there, because the mail links are down.

If you know a way that I can do what is demanded of me in this situation,
I'd sure like to know about it.  (Perhaps the same technique could be
used to keep my users happy when the system is down.  ;-)

> -- and rerouting would STILL be a bad idea.  "Bad" as in morally incorrect, as
> well as simply wrong-headed with overtones of fascism and stupidity.

No, it's not fascism.  I think the term is "Pollyanism".  There are many
people who act as if they truly believed that this is the best of all
possible worlds.  And in an election year, yet.

--
From:	John Chambers <mitre-bedford.arpa!heart-of-gold!jc>
From	...!linus!!heart-of-gold!jc (John Chambers)

vixie@decwrl.dec.com (Paul Vixie) (11/05/88)

# No, it's not fascism.  I think the term is "Pollyanism".  There are many
# people who act as if they truly believed that this is the best of all
# possible worlds.  And in an election year, yet.

I've since retracted my statements in that article, and among the reasons
was that "fascism" was both too strong a term and was not technically
correct.

However, "pollyamism" doesn't completely describe the attitude I've been
yelling about.  Let's try "paternalism".  There are people on the net, who
run large and busy machines, who feel that neither you nor your router
can find your (its) way out of a paper bag without help from them and their
rerouters.  Or that you might auto-route something along what they feel to
be a suboptimal path.  Or whatever -- other reasons have been put forth,
and I'm not going to list all of them here.

But the bottom line, is: They Are Going To Do You A Favor, Whether You Want
Them To Or Not; It's For Your Own Good, And They Know What's Good For You
Better Than You Do.

Pfaa.