[comp.mail.uucp] UUCP, routing, & domain-names

rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) (11/18/88)

& Chip Salzenberg wrote:
& I disagree.  If UUCP is being used, you (the sender) still have to know how
& to get to the *gateway* for the destination domain!

In article <Nov.15.14.30.07.1988.25541@NET.BIO.NET>, lear@NET.BIO.NET
(Eliot Lear) writes:
> There are two problems here, Chip.  First, be careful to understand
> that domains don't have to have gateways, but they do have to have
> name servers.  [ stuff deleted here]

> So really what we need is a way for uucp sites to have access to name
> servers.  Yes, this would require extensions to UUCP.  However, we are
> talking near term so such a software solution should not be out of the
> question.  (Can you say DIAL-A-DOMAIN? ;-)

  No uucp extensions are really necessary.  A good cheap interim solution
is to define a smarthost and pass all non-local mail in that direction.
The smart-host should be selected so that they can route reliably
(preferably an InterNet site with access to name-servers).  Sites that
connect to uunet (for example) should probably have uunet route all non-local
mail.  It is reasonable to expect a site to know what its local connections
are.

> Also, keep in mind that one of goals of DNS is to AVOID tables for
> other sites.  A software solution should reflect that theme.
(NB: DNS == Domain Name System, for those who tuned in late)

The problem that UUCP will have with the name-server concept is that
unless high-speed local connections to a name server exist, the time
delay in sending a routing request (insert propogation delays) and
receiving a reply ( more propogation delays) makes it impractical.

Ideally we will all be able to get rid of tables eventually.  For the
short term, reducing the size of the tables WILL significantly
increase the chances that they are accurate for a given destination.

If your site is within a hop or two of an Internet site and they are
agreeable then just setup your pathalias file to send all domain-name
mail to them for routing.
         rja@edison.GE.COM      or      ...uunet!virginia!edison!rja
     via Internet (preferable)          via uucp  (if you must)