[comp.mail.uucp] Lenght limitations

lubich@ethz.UUCP (Hannes Lubich) (11/23/88)

Hi folks,
we are just discussion a new naming scheme here at ETHZ During the
discussion, the question was raised whether there are any restrictions
concerning the lenght of an RFC-822 address and, especially, the local part
of an RFC-822 address.
I tend to remember a 80 characters limitation in SMTP that was later
changed to 265 characters but I'd be interested if there are other limits.
If you know about such limitations, please drop me a mail.
Thanks
	--HaL
--
~ UUCP/Usenet 	       : {known world}!mcvax!cernvax!ethz!lubich
~ or                   : lubich@ethz.uucp

werner@utastro.UUCP (Werner Uhrig) (11/26/88)

In article <682@ethz.UUCP>, lubich@ethz.UUCP (Hannes Lubich) writes:
> Hi folks,

	Salue, Hannes.

> we are just discussion a new naming scheme here at ETHZ During the
> discussion, the question was raised whether there are any restrictions
> concerning the lenght of an RFC-822 address and, especially, the local part
> of an RFC-822 address.
> I tend to remember a 80 characters limitation in SMTP that was later
> changed to 265 characters but I'd be interested if there are other limits.
> If you know about such limitations, please drop me a mail.

	have you heard of the "sanity-length-limitation"?     (-:

	for a counter-ecample check some of the sitenames of the Uni
	Dortmund......
				:-(

	yours is certainly a valid question - but the substance (80 chars)
	scares the heck out of me;  how many chars in a foreign proper name
	do you think I can type without an error?  how many retries do
	you think I am going to make when my mail bounces?  If you can't
	say it in 8 chars, don't say it at all;  otherwise it becomes
	an interesting scheme to reduce the volume of mail to your users !

			((-:	:-))

PS: sorry I could not contribute anything of more substance;  but I figure
	you can read the RFCs just as well as I can ...

--
--------------------> PREFERED-RETURN-ADDRESS-FOLLOWS <---------------------
(ARPA)	    werner@rascal.ics.utexas.edu   (Internet: 128.83.144.1)