[comp.mail.uucp] Query about registering an Internet only site.

sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu (Bob Sloane) (11/17/88)

Hi,

[I sent this to uucp-query@stargate.com and got no reply, so I am posting it.]

I am the local News administrator here at KU Computing services, and I would
like some information about registering our site.  We have a VAX 8650 running
VMS and a usenet news package from the Austrailian National University written
by Geoff Huston.  We do NOT have any UUCP capabilities, but we ARE on the
internet, and receive a news feed via MAIL from ksuvax1.

Currently, mail addressed to ksuvax1!kuhub!user does NOT get delivered because
we have no UUCP software, and ksuvax1 does not know to translate the address.
Mail addressed to ksuvax1!kuhub.cc.ukans.edu!user does get delivered properly.
I am not certain how to set up the map entry to reflect our setup, since we
are not really a UUCP site. There are other systems here that are connected
via DECNET to our system, and I anticipate at least some mail traffic going to
those system in response to news. Could someone help me out as to whether we
should register our site, the connected sites and what our map entry should
look like?  Is there any documentation available other than the readme file?
+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+
|  Bob Sloane        \Internet: SLOANE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU/Anything I said is |
|  Computer Center    \ BITNET: SLOANE@UKANVAX.BITNET   / my opinion, not my |
|  University of Kansas\  AT&T: (913) 864-0444         /  employer's.        |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------+----------------------+

+-------------------+-------------------------------------+------------------+
|  Bob Sloane        \Internet: SLOANE@KUHUB.CC.UKANS.EDU/Anything I said is |
|  Computer Center    \ BITNET: SLOANE@UKANVAX.BITNET   / my opinion, not my |
|  University of Kansas\  AT&T: (913) 864-0444         /  employer's.        |
+-----------------------+-----------------------------+----------------------+

Makey@LOGICON.ARPA (Jeff Makey) (11/18/88)

I, too, am an Internet-only site and a few days ago I sent nearly the
same question to the UUCP Mapping Project.  Mel Pleasant replied that
they do *not* want to register non-UUCP sites.  I see you are already
using your fully qualified domain name in all the header lines, so the
only additional thing you might want to do is include a UUCP path in
your .signature that starts with a well-known UUCP host:
"ksuvax1!kuhub.cc.ukans.edu!user".

                           :: Jeff Makey

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
    Disclaimer: Logicon doesn't even know we're running news.
    Internet: Makey@LOGICON.ARPA    UUCP: nosc!logicon.arpa!Makey

rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) (11/19/88)

In article <152@logicon.arpa>, Makey@LOGICON.ARPA (Jeff Makey) writes:
> I, too, am an Internet-only site and a few days ago I sent nearly the
> same question to the UUCP Mapping Project.  Mel Pleasant replied that
> they do *not* want to register non-UUCP sites.  I see you are already
> using your fully qualified domain name in all the header lines, so the
> only additional thing you might want to do is include a UUCP path in
> your .signature that starts with a well-known UUCP host:
> "ksuvax1!kuhub.cc.ukans.edu!user".

What also NEEDS to be done is for the UUCP-mapped site which feeds the
Internet-only site to submit a new map entry which shows the UUCP-site
as a gateway to the domain or sub-domain represented by the Internet-only
site.  That way UUCP-sites running reasonable routing software will
be able to route to the Internet-only site automatically without having
to look at the .signature .

tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) (11/24/88)

In article <1719@edison.GE.COM> rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) writes:
[ ... ]
>What also NEEDS to be done is for the UUCP-mapped site which feeds the
>Internet-only site to submit a new map entry which shows the UUCP-site
>as a gateway to the domain or sub-domain represented by the Internet-only
>site.  That way UUCP-sites running reasonable routing software will
>be able to route to the Internet-only site automatically without having
>to look at the .signature .

Whoa, that's us!

How do I do this?  That is, exactly what line(s) do I add to my map entry
to show that we will serve as a gateway for mail to "ukans.edu"?

I echo Bob Sloane's (sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu) earlier posting: where can I
find more extensive documentation on the format of a map entry?  The README
file that is periodically posted to comp.mail.maps doesn't cover this.

Oh well, this will probably become a mute (groan) point with the release of
the VMS UUCP package.

--
Timothy Ramsey
BITNET: tar@KSUVAX1

dpz@dorm.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman) (11/25/88)

> How do I do this?  That is, exactly what line(s) do I add to my map entry
> to show that we will serve as a gateway for mail to "ukans.edu"?

ksuvax1		.ukans.edu

That says that the machine "ksuvax1" talks to the domain .ukans.edu,
and therefore can reach any host or subdomain in that domain.

						David
--
David P. Zimmerman, the Dorm Networking Pilot Project, the UUCP Project, etc
dpz@dorm.rutgers.edu          rutgers!dpz          dpzimmerman@zodiac.bitnet

nomad@verdix.com (Lee Damon) (11/29/88)

In article <1296@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu> tar@ksuvax1.cis.ksu.edu (Tim Ramsey) writes:
>In article <1719@edison.GE.COM> rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) writes:
>[ ... ]
>
>How do I do this?  That is, exactly what line(s) do I add to my map entry
>to show that we will serve as a gateway for mail to "ukans.edu"?
>
>I echo Bob Sloane's (sloane@kuhub.cc.ukans.edu) earlier posting: where can I
>find more extensive documentation on the format of a map entry?  The README
>file that is periodically posted to comp.mail.maps doesn't cover this.

One place that I look for this information is in the maps itself. A good
many of the maps in d.* have that kind of routing information in them. Now
I know that not everyone does things the same way, but if you find several
maps in the d.whatever file for your area that should give you a good
start.

To answer your specific question, in the routing part of your map put the
line:
  edison.ge.com	.ukansas.edu
which will tell the smail and other smart-routing sites that edison.ge.com
is a gateway for .ukansas.edu. I don't know if the sendmail-only sites will
be able to use this information, (I know that Pathalias is what really
uses it, but I think sendmail doesn't know to keep going down the tree for
UUCP paths.) If you want to see examples, almost all of the fidonet.org
maps that are out there have gateway lines in them. Look at
castle.fidonet.org for one example, or cs.orst.edu (orstcs) for another
(both are in u.usa.or.1).

Hope this helps.

nomad
---------------------
Lee Damon                              UUCP:         verdix!-------
UUCP: verdix!nomad                                          \      \
Internet: nomad@verdix.com         {tektronix,hp-pcd}!orstcs!castle!nomad
FidoNet: 105/302 - The Castle BBS - 503-629-5841            /
                                                      agora!

     "Say what you like, the bicycle has a great past ahead of it!"

dtynan@sultra.UUCP (Der Tynan) (11/29/88)

In article <Nov.24.14.02.04.1988.5661@dorm.rutgers.edu>, dpz@dorm.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman) writes:
> > How do I do this?  That is, exactly what line(s) do I add to my map entry
> > to show that we will serve as a gateway for mail to "ukans.edu"?
>
> ksuvax1		.ukans.edu
>
> That says that the machine "ksuvax1" talks to the domain .ukans.edu,
> and therefore can reach any host or subdomain in that domain.
>
> David P. Zimmerman, the Dorm Networking Pilot Project, the UUCP Project, etc

Err.  I think that should actually read;

ksuvax1		.ukans.edu(LOCAL)

Otherwise, the costs will be wrong.  It seems to me that Peter Honeyman
posted something along those lines recently.  Maybe we *do* need some
documentation...
						- Der
--
	dtynan@zorba.Tynan.COM  (Dermot Tynan @ Tynan Computers)
	{apple,mips,pyramid,uunet}!Tynan.COM!dtynan

 ---  If the Law is for the People, then why do we need Lawyers? ---

rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) (11/30/88)

In article <127@verdix.verdix.com>, nomad@verdix.com (Lee Damon) writes:
[ stuff deleted here]
> To answer your specific question, in the routing part of your map put the
> line:
>   edison.ge.com	.ukansas.edu
> which will tell the smail and other smart-routing sites that edison.ge.com
> is a gateway for .ukansas.edu. I don't know if the sendmail-only sites will

PLEASE DO NOT DO THE ABOVE.  I originally had pointed out that U Kansas'
gateway would have to fix ITS maps.  edison has nothing to do with U. Kansas
and the above will just munge things thoroughly ( we are in Virginia
incidentally ).

If one reads the articles in a thread carefully, then errors like the one
quoted above don't happen.
         rja@edison.GE.COM      or      ...uunet!virginia!edison!rja
     via Internet (preferable)          via uucp  (if you must)

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (12/01/88)

Der Tynan writes:
>Maybe we *do* need some documentation...

see the summer '86 usenix proceedings if the man page is inadequate.

	peter

dpz@pilot.njin.net (David P. Zimmerman) (12/04/88)

>> ksuvax1		.ukans.edu
>
> Err.  I think that should actually read;
>
> ksuvax1		.ukans.edu(LOCAL)

Nope.  If you only have a single machine as the gateway into a domain,
what I suggested is all you need.  Of course, you could put weights on
if it makes it look prettier, but the only time you might need the
weights is if you have several machines acting as domain gateways.

							David
--

kls@ditka.UUCP (Karl Swartz) (12/06/88)

In article <Nov.24.14.02.04.1988.5661@dorm.rutgers.edu> dpz@dorm.rutgers.edu (David P. Zimmerman) writes:
>> How do I do this?  That is, exactly what line(s) do I add to my map entry
>> to show that we will serve as a gateway for mail to "ukans.edu"?
>
>ksuvax1		.ukans.edu

As has been discussed here recently, you should also include a cost
on domain gateways, though many (most?) in the maps do not.  This
case should probably be something like

    ksuvax1	.ukans.edu(LOCAL)

Without a cost, it defaults to 4000, which is nearly DAILY.  Probably
not what is intended.

--
Karl Swartz		|UUCP	{ames!hc!rt1,decuac!netsys}!ditka!kls
1-505/667-7777 (work)	|ARPA	rt1!ditka!kls@hc.dspo.gov