[comp.mail.uucp] More questions about pathalias

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (12/10/88)

Well, I've set up pathalias and smail; however, pathalias is still
generating paths I don't like.

I told it that uflorida goes to .edu; however, mail to any site which
happens to be in my maps doesn't get routed there. E.g.,
dartmouth.edu gets this path:

	proxftl!novavax!uflorida!gatech!harvard!bu-cs!dartvax

instead of

	proxftl!novavax!uflorida!dartmouth.edu

Now, I could fix this by removing the dartmouth.edu entry from my
paths file; smail will then route dartmouth.edu through uflorida.
This has one problem: aliases don't also get fixed.  In other words,
if I were to mail to dartvax, smail will use the first path, instead
of the second one, even though it is the better.

Is there some trick to this, or am I asking pathalias to do something
it can't do? If the latter, does anyone who understands pathalias
believe that it would be reasonable to change pathalias to handle this
case?

Another thing on my wish list: I'd like to be able to say that if a
site is in a path, that site will handle further routing.  The
option, specified for uunet, would have the effect of changing

	proxftl!uunet!watmath!sce!scs!gandalf

into

	proxftl!uunet!gandalf

I don't want to, as someone else suggested, route all my nonlocal mail
through uunet; that would be a waste. But I would like to let uunet,
and perhaps some other sites, route any of my mail that passes
through it.

Which leads to a final question: what other sites are reliable
routers?

---
Bill
{uunet|novavax}!proxftl!twwells!bill

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (12/14/88)

T. William Wells writes:
>I told it that uflorida goes to .edu; however, mail to any site which
>happens to be in my maps doesn't get routed there.

what cost did you use?  i suggest DEDICATED.

try pathalias -c ... -- the costs might help you see what pathalias is
doing.

	peter

bill@twwells.uucp (T. William Wells) (12/19/88)

In article <841@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> honey@citi.umich.edu (peter honeyman) writes:
: >I told it that uflorida goes to .edu; however, mail to any site which
: >happens to be in my maps doesn't get routed there.
:
: what cost did you use?  i suggest DEDICATED.

I tried this, it made no difference.  According to what I've been
told, pathalias does not look at the domain unless it needs to find a
gateway; since dartmouth doesn't need a gateway, the additional entry
is irrelevant.

Well, I'll look at the source Real Soon Now, and I'll see what is
really happening.

---