[comp.mail.uucp] Format of UUPC files

mju@m-net.UUCP (Marc Unangst) (01/06/89)

I'm trying to write a program that will run under MS-DOS (and work with
UUPC) that will work like the uucp(1C) command under Unix.  Currently,
UUPC can handle receiving files from the remote system (i.e., "uucp
~uucp/foo.bar mydos!~/foo.bar"), however, it manages to create an endless
loop when you try to go the opposite direction from the Unix machine
(i.e., "uucp mydos!~/foo.bar ~uucp/foo.bar").  Since UUPC doesn't
come with a "uucp" workalike, I'd like to make one.  I need the format
of the control files that UUPC uses.  There seem to be 3 files involved
with outgoing mail - D_FOO_.SEQF, D_BAR0.SEQF, and C_FOO_.SEQF, where
FOO is the name of the remote system, BAR is the name of your system,
and SEQF is the current sequence number.  D_FOO_.SEQF seems to contain
the actual message body.  The other two files seem to be some sort
of control files.  What is their format?

--
Marc Unangst
UUCP: mju@m-net.ann-arbor.mi.us

skl@van-bc.UUCP (Samuel Lam) (01/07/89)

In article <2681@m2-net.UUCP>, mju@m-net.UUCP (Marc Unangst) wrote:
>I'm trying to write a program that will run under MS-DOS (and work with
>UUPC) that will work like the uucp(1C) command under Unix.  Currently,
>UUPC can handle receiving files from the remote system (i.e., "uucp
>~uucp/foo.bar mydos!~/foo.bar"), however, it manages to create an endless
>loop when you try to go the opposite direction from the Unix machine
>(i.e., "uucp mydos!~/foo.bar ~uucp/foo.bar").  Since UUPC doesn't
>come with a "uucp" workalike, I'd like to make one.

There are four types of UUCP data transfers:  Send/Receive initiated by
local/remote host.  Currently the Receive initiated by local/remote host
transfer types are not supported *within* UUPC, hence the problem you
mentioned.  Writing a uucp command for UUPC will only enhance the two
existing types of transfer rather than make the two currently unsupported
types of transfer possible.

If you want to get the other two types of transfer working, the best
place to start is to fix UUPC up so that it can support them.

UUPC release 2.0, if and when it becomes available, will probably have
support for the two new transfer types, but since we are already so
much behind in getting this version out, and relief is no where in
sight, we would advice you not to hold your breath on it.

...Sam (UUPC release 2.0 co-ordinator)

P.S.  I will be out-of-town, and totally out of touch electronically,
for the next month, so UUPC related e-mail sent to the UUPC Development
Group won't be processed until at least early February.

--
Samuel Lam     {alberta,watmath,uw-beaver,cs.ubc.ca}!ubc-cs!van-bc!skl

det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG (Derek E. Terveer) (01/10/89)

In article <2681@m2-net.UUCP>, mju@m-net.UUCP (Marc Unangst) writes:
> I'm trying to write a program that will run under MS-DOS (and work with
> UUPC) that will work like the uucp(1C) command under Unix.  [..]
> Since UUPC doesn't
> come with a "uucp" workalike, I'd like to make one.

I have already written a "uuto(1)" workalike that runs with the PCmail (UUPC)
package, along with uustat(1) and lp(1).  For those of you with BSD systems,
uuto on sys V is generally a shell script that formats your command in a simple
way and feeds it to uucp.

If you want more details or the MSC5.0 C source code, drop me a line.
--
Derek Terveer 	    det@hawkmoon.MN.ORG || ..!uunet!rosevax!elric!hawkmoon!det
		    w(612)681-6986   h(612)688-0667

"A proper king is crowned" -- Thomas B. Costain