[comp.mail.uucp] Forwarding UUCP's Mail

tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) (01/30/89)

Although I've tried to reply personally to all those who responded
to my posting about forwarding uucp's mail, this is to say thanks
to all who replied.

For the record, the HDB UUCP daemon 'uudemon.cleanu' has as its
last line:

	rm -f $MAILDIR/uucp $MAILDIR/nuucp

This explains the disappearance of the mailbox containing the instructions
to forward the mail.

There's nothing to explain why this script creates mail to 'uucp' then
immediately deletes it, though.  8-)
--
UUCP:  ...!{rutgers|ames|uunet}!mimsy!arinc!wb3ffv!fallst!tkevans
INTERNET:  tkevans%fallst@wb3ffv.ampr.org

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (01/31/89)

nowitz didn't have time to read uucp mail on eagle, so he blew it away.

	peter

ccea3@rivm.UUCP (Adri Verhoef) (01/31/89)

In article <495@fallst.UUCP> tkevans@fallst.UUCP (Tim Evans) writes:
>For the record, the HDB UUCP daemon 'uudemon.cleanu' has as its
>last line:
>
>	rm -f $MAILDIR/uucp $MAILDIR/nuucp
>
>This explains the disappearance of the mailbox containing the instructions
>to forward the mail.

>There's nothing to explain why this script creates mail to 'uucp' then
>immediately deletes it, though.  8-)

At least it tries to do that.

The script should be run by uucp, possibly upon startup from cron by root
for setting the ulimit:
45 23 * * * ulimit 5000;\
	/bin/su uucp -c "/usr/lib/uucp/uudemon.cleanup" >/dev/null 2>&1
Uucp should *not* have the permission to remove *any* mailfile from
the mailspool-directory.
$ ls -ld /usr/mail
drwxrwxr-x   3 bin      mail         928 Jan 31 13:21 /usr/mail