[comp.mail.uucp] Increase the time-out in HDB uucico?

prc@maxim.ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) (03/09/89)

I'm trying to call a distant site via using uucp via a good V.21bis/
MNP Class 5 modem. I can log in to the remote system by connecting
the modem directly to a terminal and using hayes AT commands directly.
It takes about 50 seconds between I hit return after the dial command
until I get the login prompt from the other system.

However, when I try to do the same thing using uucp (we're using HDB
uucp in SVR3.1), uucico seems to time out before the other modem
answers the call. The Dialers file is set up to send *exactly* the
same commands to the modem as when I'm using the modem manually.
Is there a way to increase the timeout in uucico (and cu -- it
doesn't work either)?

Any suggestions are welcome via e-mail, please.

--
Robert Claeson, ERBE DATA AB, P.O. Box 77, S-175 22 Jarfalla, Sweden
Tel: +46 (0)758-202 50  Fax: +46 (0)758-197 20

campbell@redsox.UUCP (Larry Campbell) (03/09/89)

The question is how to lengthen the timeout in a dialer or login chat
script with HDP uucp.  I have discovered that using the \D (delay)
cookie seems to work.  I have a Trailblazer calling another Trailblazer
which is in auto-speed-detect mode, which means it takes several seconds
for PEP mode to kick in;  uucico timed out until I inserted a few \D's
in the dialer chat script.
--
Larry Campbell                          The Boston Software Works, Inc.
campbell@bsw.com                        120 Fulton Street

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (William E. Davidsen Jr) (03/09/89)

In article <530@maxim.ERBE.SE> prc@maxim.ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) writes:
| [ takes a long time to connect manually to a remote system ]
|
| However, when I try to do the same thing using uucp (we're using HDB
| uucp in SVR3.1), uucico seems to time out before the other modem
| answers the call.

Always try the easiest fix first. It may be that the modem is timing out
(not sure why) so add the "delay" character to the end of the phone
number, such as "43-077-2214-131,,,,," for Hayes. Those commas are worth
2-5 sec each, depending on your modem.

Second fix: put some delay in your login script:
   "" \d\d\d\d\d\d gin:--gin: uucp ord: snafu

These are the easy fixes to timeout problems, you may have tried them
already. This may be of general interest, so I posted and mailed to you.
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@ge-crd.arpa)

mml@magnus.UUCP (Mike Levin) (03/12/89)

In article <530@maxim.ERBE.SE> prc@maxim.ERBE.SE (Robert Claeson) writes:
>I'm trying to call a distant site via using uucp via a good V.21bis/
>MNP Class 5 modem. I can log in to the remote system by connecting
>the modem directly to a terminal and using hayes AT commands directly.
>It takes about 50 seconds between I hit return after the dial command
>until I get the login prompt from the other system.
>
>However, when I try to do the same thing using uucp (we're using HDB
>uucp in SVR3.1), uucico seems to time out before the other modem
>answers the call. The Dialers file is set up to send *exactly* the
>same commands to the modem as when I'm using the modem manually.
>Is there a way to increase the timeout in uucico (and cu -- it
>doesn't work either)?

	I had similiar problems when first setting up my Telebits, and
	I didn't like the use of delays, because certain connections,
	under certain conditions, were faster.  So, after a greate deal
	of hacking about, came up with the idea of doing something
	tricky with the CONNECT messages.  Take a look at the following
	entries (these are for telebit) from the Dialers file:

TB300R	=W-,	"" \r\pAT\r\pAT&ES7=50Q0S92=0S95=0S50=1 OK ATDT\T CONNECT\s300-\c-CONNECT\s300
TB1200R	=W-,	"" \r\pAT\r\pAT&ES7=50Q0S92=0S95=0S50=2 OK ATDT\T CONNECT\s1200-\c-CONNECT\s1200
TB2400R	=W-,	"" \r\pAT\r\pAT&ES7=50Q0S92=0S95=0S50=3 OK ATDT\T CONNECT\s2400-\c-CONNECT\s2400

	Note that when expecting the 'CONNECT\s300' (or 1200, or 2400) messages,
	the script is actually saying:

	CONNECT\s300-\c-CONNECT\s300

	Which means:

		Expect the message 'CONNECT 300', and if you time out,  having
		not yet received it, send: (nothing), and then wait for the
		message 'CONNECT 300' until you time out.

	This seems to do the trick, as I have set the timeout in the modems
	(register S7) for 50 seconds, the modem will ALWAYS time out before
	the script aborts.

						Good luck,

						Mike Levin

--