[comp.mail.uucp] looking for an Internet forwarder

chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) (03/10/89)

I am looking for a site willing to be registered as my Internet forwarder,
so that I can register my site in a domain.  If you are an Internet site
and can help out, please drop me a line.  This will have almost zero
impact on your machine load, as almost all of my traffic is from uucp
sites.  Thanks in advance.
--
Chip Rosenthal     chip@vector.UUCP    |      Choke me in the shallow water
Dallas Semiconductor   214-450-5337    |         before I get too deep.

rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) (03/13/89)

In article <714@vector.UUCP>, chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
> I am looking for a site willing to be registered as my Internet forwarder,
> so that I can register my site in a domain.  If you are an Internet site
> and can help out, please drop me a line.  This will have almost zero
> impact on your machine load, as almost all of my traffic is from uucp
> sites.  Thanks in advance.

One need not have an Internet forwarder to have a domain-name, except
for folks in the *.US domain.  As an example, there is a site local
to this site which is registered in the .COM domain that has no Internet
mail forwarder.

I _do_ hope that others will follow Chip's lead and convert over to
a domain-name.  We here at edison.CHO.GE.COM maintain a current set of
maps and also have indirect Internet access and we have an awful time
getting mail through to sites in the _fake_ domain of .UUCP but have
had little or no trouble communicating with sites having a
real domain-name.

  rja@edison.CHO.GE.COM

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (03/14/89)

In article <1863@edison.GE.COM>, rja@edison.GE.COM (rja) writes:
> One need not have an Internet forwarder to have a domain-name, except
> for folks in the *.US domain.  As an example, there is a site local
> to this site which is registered in the .COM domain that has no Internet
> mail forwarder.

Wrong. ALL legitimate domain names are required to have an Internet
forwarder. If there is a local site, that has no internet mail forwarder, then
it is not properly registered. (There's more to registration than
just starting to use a domain style name)

--rick

wisner@shadooby.cc.umich.edu (Bill Wisner) (03/14/89)

rja@edison.CHO.GE.COM:
>One need not have an Internet forwarder to have a domain-name, except
>for folks in the *.US domain.  As an example, there is a site local
>to this site which is registered in the .COM domain that has no Internet
>mail forwarder.

Nonsense. If you want a domain, and you want that domain to work, you need
an MX forwarder.

With an MX forwarder, any self-respecting Internet site with a reasonably
recent mailer will be able to get mail to you. Without one you will only
get mail from sites that use UUCP maps.

aad@stpstn.UUCP (Anthony A. Datri) (03/15/89)

In article <1863@edison.GE.COM> rja@edison.CHO.GE.COM writes:
>In article <714@vector.UUCP>, chip@vector.UUCP (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>> I am looking for a site willing to be registered as my Internet forwarder,

>One need not have an Internet forwarder to have a domain-name, except
>for folks in the *.US domain.

Of course, that domain name then only as preparation for the future, because
if you show that domain name to anyone off-site, it has to have a forwarder
to be valid.  As I understand it, the .US thing requires you to register
*every* host under a "domain", which defaults the whole idea.

Uunet is a good thing for people who want domain names.  If you subscribe
to them directly, you get a domain existence along with their other services.
If you talk to a Uunet subscriber, you can pay uunet $35 *one time*, and
they'll help you get your domain, and supply forwarders.

>I _do_ hope that others will follow Chip's lead and convert over to
>a domain-name.  We here at edison.CHO.GE.COM maintain a current set of
>maps and also have indirect Internet access and we have an awful time
>getting mail through to sites in the _fake_ domain of .UUCP but have
>had little or no trouble communicating with sites having a
>real domain-name.

I wish that were true for everyone in GE.  The machine "gemed" has no map
entry, and is reachable only because their feeds mention them in their
entries.  I pummel any of my users that I ever find typing ".UUCP".
Unregistered hosts are what cause me the most problems, along with mailers
that desecrate From: lines and put %'s into them.

--
@disclaimer(Any concepts or opinions above are entirely mine, not those of my
	    employer, my GIGI, my VT05, or my 11/34)

steve@ivaux.UUCP (Steve Lemke) (03/15/89)

In article <51010@uunet.UU.NET> rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) writes:
}
}Wrong. ALL legitimate domain names are required to have an Internet
}forwarder. If there is a local site, that has no internet mail forwarder, then
}it is not properly registered. (There's more to registration than
}just starting to use a domain style name)

OK, so how does one go about getting registered?  I currently have a uucp
connection to an internet site, and they are currently forwarding mail to
and from my system.  Is there some standard form to fill out?  Some bucks
to pay (if so, how much and how often)?

Any information would be appreciated, and it would probably be better to
post it since I'm sure I'm not the only one interested...
--
----- Steve Lemke ------------------- "MS-DOS (OS/2, etc.) - just say no!"
----- Internet: lemke@apple.ucsb.edu                 AppleLink:  Lemke

fmayhar@killer.Dallas.TX.US (Frank Mayhar) (03/16/89)

In article <284@ivaux.UUCP> lemke@apple.ucsb.edu (Steve Lemke) writes:
}In article <51010@uunet.UU.NET> rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) writes:
}}Wrong. ALL legitimate domain names are required to have an Internet
}}forwarder. If there is a local site, that has no internet mail forwarder, then
}}it is not properly registered. (There's more to registration than
}}just starting to use a domain style name)
}OK, so how does one go about getting registered?  I currently have a uucp
}connection to an internet site, and they are currently forwarding mail to
}and from my system.  Is there some standard form to fill out?  Some bucks
}to pay (if so, how much and how often)?
}Any information would be appreciated, and it would probably be better to
}post it since I'm sure I'm not the only one interested...

Yes, definitely post!  My organization is in the process of setting up a Usenet
connection for mail/news (since our indirect internet access is going away), and
we need all the information we can get.
--
Frank Mayhar            UUCP: fmayhar@killer.dallas.tx.us
                        ARPA: Frank-Mayhar%ladc@bco-multics.hbi.honeywell.com

ed@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (Ed Anselmo) (03/16/89)

In article <284@ivaux.UUCP> lemke@apple.ucsb.edu (Steve Lemke) writes:

>OK, so how does one go about getting registered?  I currently have a uucp
>connection to an internet site, and they are currently forwarding mail to
>and from my system.  Is there some standard form to fill out?  Some bucks
>to pay (if so, how much and how often)?

If you arrange things through uunet there's a one-time $35 fee (do you have
to be a uunet client first??) and I hear that they take care of most of the
paperwork.

cardiology.ummc.umich.edu currently forwards for about 9-10 uucp neighbors.
All the sites that cardiology.ummc.umich.edu forwards for dealt directly
with the NIC -- there's a simple form to fill out and e-mail to
westine@isi.edu.  It's free.

Finding a forwarder is a bit harder, since the Internet site might have to
do a bit of re-writing or other magic to stop "MX-loops".  We run the IDA
sendmail package which makes forwarding pretty easy (mail me for details).
Adding new sites for forwarding is as simple as adding an entry in my
Systems file + modifying a few IDA configuration files.

	-- Ed Anselmo (ed@cardiology.ummc.umich.edu, mailrus!clip!ed)

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (03/16/89)

In article <1005@mailrus.cc.umich.edu> ed@cardiology.ummc.umich.edu
(Ed Anselmo) wrote:

>If you arrange things through uunet there's a one-time $35 fee (do you have
>to be a uunet client first??) and I hear that they take care of most of the
>paperwork.

You don't have to be a subscriber.  Send mail to postmaster@uunet.uu.net,
and you'll get the details by return mail.

	Chuck Karish	hplabs!hpda!mindcrf!karish	(415) 493-7277
			karish@forel.stanford.edu

wisner@shadooby.cc.umich.edu (Bill Wisner) (03/16/89)

The easiest way to get a domain is to find a forwarder and register in
the US domain.

The next easiest way to get a domain is to find a forwarder and give Rick
Adams $35.

If you're a UUNET subscriber, replace the above with "the easiest way to
get a domain is to ask Rick Adams".

The hardest way to get a domain is to find a forwarder, line up some name-
servers and fill out the NIC paperwork yourself. If you know nothing about
the Internet this method ranges from moderately difficult to impossible.

I am available for assistance regarding that last method, by the way.

random@uokmax.UUCP (Random J Nightfall) (03/17/89)

[lemke@apple.ucsb.edu:]
->
->OK, so how does one go about getting registered?  I currently have a uucp
->connection to an internet site, and they are currently forwarding mail to
->and from my system.  Is there some standard form to fill out?  Some bucks
->to pay (if so, how much and how often)?
->
->Any information would be appreciated, and it would probably be better to
->post it since I'm sure I'm not the only one interested...

Correct.  We have three people with the same situations here.  Post, please.

--
Russ  'Random' Smith  _______________________________"But mostly I'm a road-
University o'Oklahoma |  ^                       ^  | runner, baby, and a mean

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (03/18/89)

> The next easiest way to get a domain is to find a forwarder and give Rick
> Adams $35.

You can send UUNET $35, but not me.

> If you're a UUNET subscriber, replace the above with "the easiest way to
> get a domain is to ask Rick Adams".

If things work as planned, "Rick Adams" will never touch your
domain registration. Jean non-Rick-Adams will deposit the money in
UUNETs bank account and a different non-Rick-Adams will actually
process the domain application.

Domain information may be obtained from uunet!domain-request (*which
does not go to Rick Adams' mailbox*)

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (03/18/89)

BACKGROUND:

A "zone" is a registry of domains kept by a particular organization.  A
zone registry is "authoritative", that is, the master copy of the
registry is kept by the zone organization, and this copy is, by
definition, always up-to-date.  Copies of this registry may be
distributed to other places and kept in caches, but these caches are
not authoritative because they may be out of date.  An authoritative
answer is required for certain decisions, such as "this mail cannot be
delivered because there is no such domain", or "the name you have
chosen is available and is now assigned uniquely to you."

A registered domain name is necessary to use software (including smail)
which supports domain addresses.  This name must be unique in the
world, and must be registered with the appropriate registry.  You also
need to be in a domain that has a forwarder from the ARPANET.

Currently, the domain tree in the USA has three major top level
domains:  COM for companies, EDU for educational institutions, and GOV
for government entities.  Three other top level names exist: MIL, NET,
ORG, but are somewhat specialized.  For the most part, countries other
than the USA are using the ISO 3166 2 letter abbreviation for their
country as a top level.

The second level is generally the name of the organization, using the
shortest possible abbreviation that is clear and unique, thus ATT, DEC,
IBM, HP, etc.  The choice of exact name is up to the organization, and
longer names, such as Berkeley.EDU or Tektronix.COM are perfectly
acceptable.  Just remember that people must type the name, as well as
see it displayed.

Not all countries use the second level for the organization.  In
particular, Australia and Britain have set up second level domains
OZ.AU and AC.UK for their academic communities, and put the
organization at the third level.

The third and subsequent levels, if used, should be organizational
units within the organization.  Try to keep the number of levels to a
minimum, since people have to type the names.  More than four total
levels (country, org, org-unit1, and org-unit2) should rarely be
needed.  The actual organizational units to be used are up to you, for
example, they might be departments, or they might be machine names.

CHOSING NAMES:

Names are case independent. uucpnames MUST be all lower case.

"vax", "u3b20", and the like are terrible host names, because sooner or
later you'll have more than one vax, or more than one 3b20, and the
names will be confusing.  We recommend organizational names, based on
the department or project the machine is used for.  Of course, in order
to keep the names reasonably short and to avoid duplicating names in
the heirarchy, some compromise will be needed.  For example,
csvax.CS.UND.EDU is redundant, but RISC.CS.UND.EDU might be a good name
for the computer used by the RISC project in the CS department.

Please note that you should support both RFC 976 and the documents it
refers to, in particular RFC 822 and RFC 920.  This means, for
example:

(a) The name "postmaster" on all machines visible to the outside
    should be forwarded to the technical contact.  This can be
    easily done with an alias in /usr/lib/aliases, if your site
    runs sendmail or smail release 2.0 or beyond.

(b) Your machine should not alter valid RFC 822 headers, such as
    From:, of mail it generates or forwards.  Many machines running
    sendmail have a bug which adds uucpname! to the front of such
    addresses.  Installing smail will fix the bug, because mail
    passed through the machine is not passed through sendmail.
    We hope to make a fix to sendmail available, also, at a
    later date.

COSTS:

UUNET charges a one time fee of $35 for processing the forms and
setting up the servers.  This fee does NOT include a
connection to the uunet computer.

Payment may be sent to:

	UUNET Communications Services
	3110 Fairview Park Drive, Suite 570
	Falls Church, VA 22042
	+1 703 876 5050
	uunet!uunet-request

or we will invoice you. Please indicate the name of your domain and the
uucp name of your gateway machine so that we may properly credit you.

Information about UUNET's other services Can be obtained by sending
your postal address to uunet!uunet-request.

IMPLEMENTATION DETAILS:

We will notify you (via mail to "postmaster" in your domain) when your
domain is registered.  You cannot use your domain name in outgoing mail
until registration is completed, although it is OK to install smail
(using the host.UUCP domain) ahead of time.  We do recommend that you
set up to accept incoming mail for your domain name ahead of time, if
this is convenient.

Several steps are needed before your registration is complete.  Some of
these steps are approval by the NIC, setting up the nameservers,
setting up the forwarder.  Seeing your domain published in the UUCP map
is not, by itself, sufficient (or necessary) for the use of your domain
name.

FORWARDERS:

A forwarder is a kind of mail bridge host between DDN (formerly called
the ARPANET) and UUCP.  The DDN nameserver structure directs all DDN
mail for your domain to the forwarder, and the forwarder passes the
mail from DDN into UUCP.  Forwarders can also forward your mail from
UUCP to DDN, but it is not strictly necessary to use your forwarder for
this, since mail to any of the published UUCP->DDN gateways can do
this.

To register your domain, you need to have a forwarder. If you know of
an Internet site that is willing to be a forwarder for your domain, let
us know. As a last resort, uunet can be a forwarder for you.  HOWEVER,
we require that you obtain the permission of the site that is directly
connected to uunet before we start forwarding mail through them.

THE APPLICATION:

To register your domain with the NIC, we need to send in the following
form. Questions 5,6,7 and 9 are already answered for you.  Do not
change them.

Answer questions 1,2,3,4,8 and 10 and return THE ENTIRE FORM to me.
PLEASE do not just return the questions you answer. Also don't do
anything "helpful" like insert characters to  show what you've
changed.  It creates extra work for me, as I have to copy your answers
back onto the form I originally sent you.

If you don't have a "NIC Handle" or dont know what that means, answer <NEW>

Return everything below this line to uunet!domain-request.

Specify what machine you want to be your forwarder. If you are directly
connected to uunet, uunet can be your forwarder. If you are not
directly connected, then you need to find some other site to be your
forwarder OR get the permission of a site that IS directly connected to
uunet to allow your arpanet mail to be forwarded through them. I must
receive the permission of the uunet site or the other forwarder
directly from that forwarder.

Who will be your forwarder?:

	For Example:

		UUNET

[ NETINFO:DOMAIN-TEMPLATE.TXT ]                                  [ 9/88 ]

   To establish a domain, the following information must be sent to
   the NIC Domain Registrar (HOSTMASTER@SRI-NIC.ARPA).  Questions
   may be addressed to the NIC Hostmaster by electronic mail at the
   above address, or by phone at (415) 859-3695 or (800) 235-3155.

   NOTE: The key people must have electronic mailboxes and NIC
   "handles," unique NIC database identifiers.  If you have access to
   "WHOIS", please check to see if you are registered and if so, make
   sure the information is current.  Include only your handle and any
   changes (if any) that need to be made in your entry.  If you do not
   have access to "WHOIS", please provide all the information indicated
   and a NIC handle will be assigned.

   (1)  The name of the top-level domain to join.

      For example:  COM

   (2)   The NIC handle of the administrative head of the organization.
   Alternately, the person's name, title, mailing address, phone number,
   organization, and network mailbox.  This is the contact point for
   administrative and policy questions about the domain.  In the case of
   a research project, this should be the principal investigator.

      For example:

         Administrator

            Organization  The NetWorthy Corporation
            Name          Penelope Q. Sassafrass
            Title         President
            Mail Address  The NetWorthy Corporation
                          4676 Andrews Way, Suite 100
                          Santa Clara, CA 94302-1212
            Phone Number  (415) 123-4567
            Net Mailbox   Sassafrass@ECHO.TNC.COM
            NIC Handle    PQS

   (3)  The NIC handle of the technical contact for the domain.
   Alternately, the person's name, title, mailing address, phone number,
   organization, and network mailbox.  This is the contact point for
   problems concerning the domain or zone, as well as for updating
   information about the domain or zone.

      For example:

         Technical and Zone Contact

            Organization  The NetWorthy Corporation
            Name          Ansel A. Aardvark
            Title         Executive Director
            Mail Address  The NetWorthy Corporation
                          4676 Andrews Way, Suite 100
                          Santa Clara, CA. 94302-1212
            Phone Number  (415) 123-6789
            Net Mailbox   Aardvark@ECHO.TNC.COM
            NIC Handle    AAA2

   (4)  The name of the domain (up to 12 characters).  This is the name
   that will be used in tables and lists associating the domain with the
   domain server addresses.  [While, from a technical standpoint, domain
   names can be quite long (programmers beware), shorter names are
   easier for people to cope with.]

      For example:  TNC

   (5)  A description of the servers that provide the domain service for
   translating names to addresses for hosts in this domain, and the date
   they will be operational.

	We will be running the BIND software as provided by UC Berkeley.
	The servers are currently operational.

   (6) Domains must provide at least two independent servers for the
   domain.  Establishing the servers in physically separate locations
   and on different PSNs is strongly recommended.  A description of
   the primary and secondary server machines, including

      - Host domain name and network addresses

      - Any domain-style nicknames (please limit your domain-style
        nickname request, if any, to one)

      - Hardware and software, using keywords from the Assigned
        Numbers RFC.

      Primary Server: uunet.UU.NET, 192.12.141.129, SEQUENT-S81, UNIX
      Secondary Server: seismo.CSS.GOV, 192.12.141.25, SUN-3/160, UNIX

   (7) Planned mapping of names of any other network hosts (including
   any ARPANET or MILNET hosts), other than the server machines, into
   the new domain's naming space.

      NONE

   (8)  An estimate of the number of hosts that will be in the domain.

      (a) Initially
      (b) Within one year
      (c) Two years
      (d) Five years.

      For example:

         (a) Initially  =   50
         (b) One year   =  100
         (c) Two years  =  200
         (d) Five years =  500

   (9)  The date you expect the fully qualified domain name to become
   the official host name in HOSTS.TXT, if applicable.

	The host name should never appear in HOSTS.TXT. MX records
	to forward mail off the internet will be established.

   (10) Please describe your organization briefly.

      For example: The NetWorthy Corporation is a consulting
      organization of people working with UNIX and the C language in an
      electronic networking environment.  It sponsors two technical
      conferences annually and distributes a bimonthly newsletter.

 PLEASE ALLOW AT LEAST 10 WORKING DAYS FOR PROCESSING THIS APPLICATION