[comp.mail.uucp] What if you don't *want* to be in a specific domain?

jkh@pcsbst.UUCP (jkh) (03/19/89)

We're in the somewhat peculiar situation of not really wanting to be
in the domain "chosen" for us, but unsure as to what to do next.
To explain: Here in Germany, most sites go through "unido" and
are in the .de domain. unido has made arrangements with other european/U.S.
backbone sites to poll only them. This puts us into the rather unfortunate
situation of having to depend on one site to get all of our mail should
we decide to join .de. Since we have a link to pyramid, which works
far more reliably (not to mention quickly and cheaply), we'd really not
rather do that. Are we stuck without a domain? Now that U.S. is a domain,
would it be possible to join .com?

What exactly does one do in this situation?

Danke..

				Jordan Hubbard
				PCS Computer Systems
				Munich, West Germany.

				pyramid!pcsbst!jkh@decwrl.dec.com

davidsen@steinmetz.ge.com (Wm. E. Davidsen Jr) (03/21/89)

  As far as I can tell by reading the info on the .US domain you may get
your service from any internet server. You should contact the people
listed in the recent postings for more info (I have them, but not on
this machine).
--
	bill davidsen		(wedu@crd.GE.COM)

guy@auspex.UUCP (Guy Harris) (03/28/89)

 >To explain: Here in Germany, most sites go through "unido" and
 >are in the .de domain. unido has made arrangements with other european/U.S.
 >backbone sites to poll only them. This puts us into the rather unfortunate
 >situation of having to depend on one site to get all of our mail should
 >we decide to join .de.

Are you saying that somebody's decided that if you want to be in the
".de" domain you *have* to get your mail through "unido"? If so, why?
Domain names aren't supposed to imply anything about how you get your
mail; domains aren't networks.  Does "pathalias", or whatever, require
that all mail to domainized names in a given domain go through the same
gateway?  That sounds sort of uncool.

honey@mailrus.cc.umich.edu (peter honeyman) (03/29/89)

Guy Harris asks:
>Are you saying that somebody's decided that if you want to be in the
>".de" domain you *have* to get your mail through "unido"? If so, why?
>Domain names aren't supposed to imply anything about how you get your
>mail; domains aren't networks.  Does "pathalias", or whatever, require
>that all mail to domainized names in a given domain go through the same
>gateway?  That sounds sort of uncool.

is the problem that all .de mail is mx-ed to csnet, which
drops it into unido for further forwarding?  just guessing ...

	peter

jordan@cs.columbia.edu (Jordan Hayes) (03/30/89)

Peter Honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu> gueses:

	is the problem that all .de mail is mx-ed to csnet, which drops
	it into unido for further forwarding?

that's the symptom, but not the problem.  there's no reason why you
couldn't get a different mx-er for your (jkh's) (sub-)domain (of .de),
presuming that you can get them to do it, that is.

/jordan

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (03/30/89)

In article <160@cs.columbia.edu> jordan@cs.columbia.edu (Jordan Hayes) wrote:
>Peter Honeyman <honey@citi.umich.edu> gueses:

>	is the problem that all .de mail is mx-ed to csnet, which drops
>	it into unido for further forwarding?

>that's the symptom, but not the problem.  there's no reason why you
>couldn't get a different mx-er for your (jkh's) (sub-)domain (of .de),
>presuming that you can get them to do it, that is.

If I correctly understood the discussion of European national backbones
and their policies earlier this year, the problem is that if one
chooses an alternate mx-er one may be be refused mail forwarding
through any host on the national net.  Foreign mail would work, but
local communications would be direct-dial only.  Some of these networks
(the German and Italian ones?) have monopolistic policies that are
alien to USENET sensibilities.

	Chuck Karish	hplabs!hpda!mindcrf!karish	(415) 493-7277
			karish@forel.stanford.edu