[comp.mail.uucp] domains

dwd@hall.cray.com (Dave DeHerder_Jr.) (01/14/88)

A little while ago there was a discussion of duplicate site names
and the answer was to use domains because then the fully qualified
site name WILL be unique.

WELL... I got some mail with a from that looked like:
"From: texsun!sun!hplabs!hp-sdd!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!onion.SanDiego.NCR.COM!bethh@tundra.UUCP"
First it is confusing because all the sites are in order except that
"tundra.UUCP" is our nearest neighbor.  Why that is at the end is a
mystery to me.  OK.  So I figure that this is just a foible of the
conventions and try to create a return path and come up with:
"To: tundra!texsun!sun!hplabs!hp-sdd!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!bethh@onion.SanDiego.NCR.COM"
Is this correct or am I all screwed up?

This mail gets bounced back to me with:
"554 texsun!sun!hplabs!hp-sdd!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!bethh@onion.SanDiego.NCR.COM... Unknown domain COM"

I also tried bethh@onion.ncr.com thinking that upper case was
causing me difficulties (well it worked on other stuff).  No
dice.  Bounced with the same message.

Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

woods@hao.ucar.edu (Greg Woods) (01/15/88)

In article <2987@hall.cray.com> dwd@hall.cray.com (Dave DeHerder_Jr.) writes:
>WELL... I got some mail with a from that looked like:
>"From: texsun!sun!hplabs!hp-sdd!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!onion.SanDiego.NCR.COM!bethh@tundra.UUCP"
>First it is confusing because all the sites are in order except that
>"tundra.UUCP" is our nearest neighbor.  Why that is at the end is a
>mystery to me.  OK.  So I figure that this is just a foible of the
>conventions and try to create a return path and come up with:
>"To: tundra!texsun!sun!hplabs!hp-sdd!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!bethh@onion.SanDiego.NCR.COM"
>Is this correct or am I all screwed up?

  You have now changed the ultimate destination of the message. The problem is,
an address like host1!user@host2 is inherently ambiguous. Does it mean
send to host1, for a user who is on host2, or send to host2, for a user
that is on host1? The official mail addressing standard (I think it's RFC822)
does not even officially recognize bangs (!) as addressing characters.
Technically, address@host should always be sent to the host on the left
of the @-sign first. How "address" is interpreted there is not specified
(which allows things like the % kludge to work). In this case, the first
address above is perfectly valid since it means send to tundra via UUCP and
let tundra worry about interpreting the bang path. Unfortunately, the second
address says something different. It says send to onion.SanDeigo.NCR.COM
for eventual delivery to "bethh" on host "ncr-sd", which is not where
this user is. From the first path, the user "bethh" appears to be at
onion.SanDiego.NCR.COM. Therefore the second path is incorrect. If you'd left
it in pure bang form, i.e. tundra!texsun!...!ncr-ds!onion.SanDiego.NCR.COM!bethh
it MIGHT have worked. At least it would have gotten sent to tundra which is
the first hop in the path.

>This mail gets bounced back to me with:
>"554 texsun!sun!hplabs!hp-sdd!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!bethh@onion.SanDiego.NCR.COM... Unknown domain COM"

  ..which confirms what I said earlier: it was trying to send to onion directly,
which isn't what is intended.  It looks to me as though your site does not have
a domain-compatible mailer. If it doesn't even know about ".COM" that is
very likely to be the case, in which case a pure bang path is most likely
to work from your site. Not having a domain-compatible mailer at YOUR site
does not mean you can't use domains at all; it does mean that an address
of the form "user@host.domain" isn't going to work. What you will have to
do is something like bang!path!to!smarthost!host.domain!user, which looks like
a pure bang path until it gets to smarthost, which will turn it into a domain
address. If "ncr-sd" is such a host, then the above suggested path
would work in this case.

--Greg

In article <1091@hao.ucar.edu> woods@hao.UUCP (Greg Woods) writes:
>Technically, address@host should always be sent to the host on the left
>of the @-sign first.

   Of course, that should be "sent to the host on the RIGHT of the @-sign
first". Sorry, it's one of those days.

--Greg

matt@ncr-sd.SanDiego.NCR.COM (Matt Costello) (01/15/88)

In article <2987@hall.cray.com> dwd@hall.cray.com (Dave DeHerder_Jr.) writes:
>WELL... I got some mail with a from that looked like:
>"From: texsun!sun!hplabs!hp-sdd!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!onion.SanDiego.NCR.COM!bethh@tundra.UUCP"

As Postmaster of ncr-sd.UUCP and SanDiego.NCR.COM I can explain what
probably happened.  The From: header line was added by tundra.UUCP as
none was previously present.  The system onion is running stock V.2
with mailx as the user agent, and mailx does not generate a From:
header line.  Tundra is probably running sendmail (it's a Sun) and the
stock sendmail configuration file tends to do things like create very
ugly From: and To: headers when none are previously present.

The return path should have been
  tundra!texsun!sun!hplabs!hp-sdd!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!onion.SanDiego.NCR.COM!bethh
so it doesn't end up a mixed-mode path.  Remember that '@' normally
has precedence over '!' when parsing addresses, except that many UUCP
sites ignore '@' completely.

>First it is confusing because all the sites are in order except that
>"tundra.UUCP" is our nearest neighbor.  Why that is at the end is a
>mystery to me.  OK.  So I figure that this is just a foible of the
>conventions and try to create a return path and come up with:
>"To: tundra!texsun!sun!hplabs!hp-sdd!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!bethh@onion.SanDiego.NCR.COM"

The tundra.UUCP is at the end because the '@' has higher precedence.
The new form is wrong since if everybody worked right (which they won't)
the address passed to onion would be tundra!texsun!...!ncr-sd!beth
which would fail since onion does not communicate with tundra.

>This mail gets bounced back to me with:
>"554 texsun!sun!hplabs!hp-sdd!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!bethh@onion.SanDiego.NCR.COM... Unknown domain COM"
>
>I also tried bethh@onion.ncr.com thinking that upper case was
>causing me difficulties (well it worked on other stuff).  No
>dice.  Bounced with the same message.
>
>Can anyone tell me what the problem is?

Any domain server that does not know about the COM domain is very broken.
It is a requirement of EVERY domain server that it know all the top-level
domains.  In actuality lots of machines just pass unknown top-level domains
off to a smarter neighbor, but the end affect is still the same.

You should inform the postmaster of the machine the rejection came from
that COM was unknown and that they had better fix it.  From the remaining
path it looks like the problem was at tundra.UUCP, which figures ...

--
Matt Costello	<matt.costello@SanDiego.NCR.COM>
+1 619 485 2926	<matt.costello%SanDiego.NCR.COM@Relay.CS.NET>

braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) (01/20/88)

We are running BSD4.2 on a Vax 11/780.

Does one have to use a particular mailer to be 'domain smart', or does it
require having certain info in the mail databases?  Our mailer is the standard
mailer that comes with Berkeley.

--
kral						[THERE ARE NO ORDINARY MOMENTS]
408/647-6112					...{ism780|amdahl}!drivax!braun

rosalia@mozart.UUCP (Mark Galassi) (01/24/88)

In article <2965@drivax.UUCP> braun@drivax.UUCP (Kral) writes:
>We are running BSD4.2 on a Vax 11/780.
>Does one have to use a particular mailer to be 'domain smart', or does it
>require having certain info in the mail databases?  Our mailer is the standard
>mailer that comes with Berkeley.

If you have 4.2, you get the sendmail program, which can be made
"domain-smart" by tuning the sendmail.cf.  This is a horrible task,
but there are ways of making it easier:

First of all, get the smail mailer from the source archives (if you cannot do
that, let me know and I can send them to you.  Then you follow the steps
to replace your "rmail" and "binmail" with what comes in the smail package,
and then they have a script which customizes the sendmail.cf file for you.

I have used smail both with and without sendmail, and with sendmail it
did both arpanet mail (over IPC channels) and uucp mail (where the
sendmail.cf file hands the jobs over to smail), and it works beautifully.

So my advice sums up to:  use smail with sendmail if you have it, but
by itself otherwise.
--
						Mark Galassi
					...!{sbcs,icus}!mozart!rosalia

mcr@julie.UUCP (Michael Richardson) (03/17/89)

  A recent question about maps, and what to do with them reminded me
that I hadn't registered julie as a node, and she isn't in the
maps yet. (As soon as I remember where I put my atlas, I'll pop it off..)
  But this brings up a question of domains --- specifically, I'd
rather be known by one (and I suspect from the stuff that my upfeed
sent me, anyone with any maps around would rather I was known as
julie.ott.something.somenet)

Rick Adams writes:
>Wrong. ALL legitimate domain names are required to have an Internet
>forwarder. If there is a local site, that has no internet mail forwarder, then
>it is not properly registered. (There's more to registration than
>just starting to use a domain style name)

  What _is_ involved? I can think of two ways that me, as a more or less
private node could be known:
  julie.amiga.cbm.com (if CBM was willing) [I presume that CBM would
necesarily be in the .com domain, although I don't think they currently
are in any)

   or maybe

  julie.ott.ca

  But, my current uucp link is nrcaer, part of the National Research
Council, (they don't have a domaine name either, or don't know it)
but I would guess they'd wind up under ".edu", except that most
universities in Canada are known in the ".ca" domaine?

  I suspect that there is a conference somewhere under comp.mail
or net. to deal with this, but my conference lists are currently somewhere
else. (with my disk space)

--

  :!mcr!:
  Michael Richardson                     Amiga

dtynan@altos86.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) (03/22/89)

In article <0812.AA0812@julie> mcr@julie.UUCP (Michael Richardson) writes:

>Rick Adams writes:
>>Wrong. ALL legitimate domain names are required to have an Internet
>>forwarder.
>
>  What _is_ involved? I can think of two ways that me, as a more or less
>private node could be known:
>
>  Michael Richardson                     Amiga

Well, the easiest way is to cough up $35.00/month and get an account on UUNET.
That way, Rick will let you use UUNET as a forwarder.  He will also register
your machine with the NIC for free, if you are a UUNET customer.

Other than that, you could contact mark@stargate.com.  If I remember correctly,
they are also offering a registration service (albeit more expensive).  Welcome
to the wonderful world of domains...
					- Der

mark@cblpf.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (03/24/89)

In article <877@altos86.UUCP> dtynan@altos86.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) writes:

> Well, the easiest way is to cough up $35.00/month and get an account on
> UUNET.  That way, Rick will let you use UUNET as a forwarder.  He will
> also register your machine with the NIC for free, if you are a UUNET
> customer.

> Other than that, you could contact mark@stargate.com.  If I remember
> correctly, they are also offering a registration service (albeit more
> expensive).  Welcome to the wonderful world of domains...

> 					- Der

Stargate (The UUCP Zone) doesn't do registrations anymore.  UUNET is
doing it for a one time $35 fee, and we're referring people to them.
Contact them at domain-request@uunet.uu.net or 1-703-528-8649.

	Mark Horton

rick@uunet.UU.NET (Rick Adams) (03/24/89)

> Contact them at domain-request@uunet.uu.net or 1-703-528-8649.

That should be  +1 703 876 5050

gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) (03/24/89)

/ comp.mail.uucp / mark@cblpf.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) / Mar 23, 1989 /
>Stargate (The UUCP Zone) doesn't do registrations anymore.  UUNET is
>doing it for a one time $35 fee, and we're referring people to them.
>Contact them at domain-request@uunet.uu.net [...]

Should organizations already in d.* maps re-register through UUNET?

Are the u.* files and d.* files going to be merged?  Are they updated
through the same address ("uucpmap@rutgers.edu"?) now?

Jacob Gore				Gore@EECS.NWU.Edu
Northwestern Univ., EECS Dept.		{oddjob,chinet,att}!nucsrl!gore

asp@cos.com (Andrew S. Partan) (04/01/89)

In article <3400010@eecs.nwu.edu>, gore@eecs.nwu.edu (Jacob Gore) writes:
> Are the u.* files and d.* files going to be merged?  Are they updated
> through the same address ("uucpmap@rutgers.edu"?) now?

As far as I can tell, most of the d.* maps have already been merged into
the u.* maps.  The only d.* maps that I have now (that actually have
something in them other than comments saying that they have been merged
with the u.* map) are:
	d.[A-Z]*
	d.usa.hi.1
	d.kor.1

Disclaimer: I am not part of the uucp maping project & have no
connections with them.
	--asp (Andrew Partan @ Corporation for Open Systems)
	-- asp@cos.com or asp%cos.com@uunet.uu.net
	-- {uunet, sundc, decuac, hqda-ai, hadron}!cos!asp
	ASN.1 Object Identifier: "{joint-iso-ccitt mhs(6) group(6) 157}"

dpz@pilot.njin.net (David Paul Zimmerman) (04/03/89)

I would think that you don't have to do anything about reregistering until
your UUCP Zone service is used up, which should be within a year at the
latest.  At or near that point, yes, you should check into registering with
UUNET if you want to have similar service.  Mail to

		domain-request@uunet.uu.net

for more info.

With the winding down of the UUCP Zone, we decided at the Winter 1989 USENIX
that it was time for the u.* and d.* files to be merged, at each map
coordinator's convenience.  Most have done so by now.  In any case, the
merging has not changed the UUCP map submission address, which is still
"uucpmap@rutgers.edu".

						David
--
David Paul Zimmerman                                 Rutgers University
dpz@pilot.njin.net         rutgers!dpz        dpzimmerman@zodiac.bitnet