[comp.mail.uucp] Help! Broken HDB

mdm@cocktrice.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) (04/11/89)

I have been hit with an interesting UUCP problem which I cannot find a
solution for. I have set up a link which will only operate in one
direction. This link in the past has operated properly, and now does not.

Both sides are operating with HDB UUCP. When the connection is made, files
will transfer from the remote site to here. However, the sending files the
other direction will not work. My site generates 10 alarms before hanging
up. I do receive the 'SY' message from the remote site and then following
that message, the link times out and hangs up. The files in
/usr/spool/uucp/remotesite are not transferred from this site to the remote
one.

What would cause this type of behaviour from UUCP? I have checked the
Permissions file on both sites and they appear fine. Systems has the correct
information. I use the same general information to connect to a couple of
other sites, and these links do not demonstrate the same problems.

I have a TB+ modem and other sites which correctly communicate with this
machine do too. The site with communications problems does not have a TB+.
Could there be a setting which is maladjusted for communicating with non
TB+ modems? The modem on the remote site does not have problems connecting
to other sites with TB+ modems.

Thank you for any information which may be able to help me straighten this
problem out.
--
Mike Mitchell				BELL:	(505) 471-7639
2020 Calle Lorca #43			ARPA:	mdm@cocktrice.UUCP

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (04/11/89)

In article <415@cocktrice.UUCP>, mdm@cocktrice.UUCP (Mike Mitchell) writes:
> I have been hit with an interesting UUCP problem which I cannot find a
> solution for. I have set up a link which will only operate in one
> direction. This link in the past has operated properly, and now does not.
> Both sides are operating with HDB UUCP. When the connection is made, files
> will transfer from the remote site to here. However, the sending files the
> other direction will not work. My site generates 10 alarms before hanging
> up. I do receive the 'SY' message from the remote site and then following
> that message, the link times out and hangs up. The files in
> /usr/spool/uucp/remotesite are not transferred from this site to the remote
> one.
  [remainder deleted]

Typically, this indicates that one of the modems has xon/xoff flow control
activated.  This interferes with uucp's g protocol to the effect that a file
transfer handshake will never complete.  The alarms you are seeing is uucp's
handshake attempts that are failing.  If your modems are programmable, you
could put a command in your Dialers file to turn flow control off for the
outgoing modem at call setup time.  That should clear up your problem.

Art