[comp.mail.uucp] YA bug in UUCP

dtynan@altos86.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) (04/25/89)

It seems there is a bug in 'UUX'.  This may have come up before, but if so, I
missed it.  If you have source, the fix is relatively easy (isn't it always).

Repeat by:
	uux "SysB!cat SysA!/etc/motd >SysA!/tmp/output"

Where SysA is the current system, and SysB is some obliging remote system.

Basically, the command will be executed on SysB, with output going to SysA.
The problem is, that the 'motd' file will be the one on SysB, not SysA.
This is on Sys V R3.*, vanilla AT&T.  Comments anyone?
						- Der
--
My address:	dtynan@altos86.Altos.COM	(Hopefully!)
Otherwise:	{altnet,amdahl,pyramid,sun}!altos86!dtynan

  ---  "May the blessings of Jeyes Fluid fall upon you"  ---

aeh@sfsup.UUCP (+Herzog A.) (04/26/89)

In article <1068@altos86.UUCP>, dtynan@altos86.UUCP (Dermot Tynan) writes:
> 	uux "SysB!cat SysA!/etc/motd >SysA!/tmp/output"
>
> Where SysA is the current system, and SysB is some obliging remote system.
>
> Basically, the command will be executed on SysB, with output going to SysA.
> The problem is, that the 'motd' file will be the one on SysB, not SysA.
> This is on Sys V R3.*, vanilla AT&T.  Comments anyone?

I believe the workaround is to omit the SysA on the filename, as in:

	uux "SysB!cat !/etc/motd >SysA!/tmp/output"

This will send the /etc/motd file from SysA to SysB.

Artie