[comp.mail.uucp] Usenet servers for Citadel BBSes

usenet@TSfR.UUCP (usenet) (04/27/89)

In article <453@iisat.UUCP> paulg@iisat.UUCP (Paul Gauthier) writes:

>	I noticed a bit of discussion happening about news software for
>IBMs. I run a BBS using the Citadel-86 BBS system on my IBM. When I
>first started the system my ultimate goal was to open a gateway into
>Usenet so my system could pick up the Usenet news feeds and I could offer
>the users the use of Usenet mail.

  And, even though citadel politics forbid Paul mentioning it, there are
other Usenet gateways available for citadel-style BBSes on the IBM PC.
There is a remote-host version that was written for one of the Amiga
variants of citadel that is capable of calling into a citadel (presumably
any flavor of citadel that adheres to the pre-1988 Twin Cities `standard'
citadel interface) and, also, STadel (my version of citadel) has had a
working (both directions) UUCP gateway for the past two years.

> [description of Paul G's gateway deleted]

  The STadel gateway started out as a program that pulls messages out
of the STadel messagebase, converts them into rfc822 form, and then
calls a uucp host and delivers them.  It has since expanded to a collectnews/
rnews/uucico setup, because of G-protocol problems. Collectnews pulls
citadel messages out of the messagebase and dumps them to stdout as
a batched stream of rfc822 messages, rnews takes a collection of articles
from stdin (that should be in batched rfc822 format) and converts them
into citadel format (actually STadel format - vanilla Citadel-86 does
not directly support Subject: fields and long To: and From: fields)
The Stadel rnews/collectnews could, then, also be used with UUPC or
any other way you have of flinging news to a Usenet host.
(No, I'm not gonna list the full description of how it works - I've
got docfiles for that with the code...)

>... The latest version of Citadel is rumored to have the ability to
>pass mail indirectly through the Citnet to other Citadels...

 The latest version of Citadel-86, that is.  Stadel has had an intellegent
mailer for the last year and a half, and the :k2ne version of Citadel-86
has had a form of mail forwarding since the beginning of last year.
Unfortunately, they are not compatable, but at least the STadel mailer
handles Uucp bang addresses and Internet domain addresses.

 (Does this sound a bit testy?  Yes, it is.  Politics run rampant in
the citadel community, with each specific version of citadel thinking
that their implementation is the best and with large flame-fests between
the implementors and supporters of each camp.  And the joy of this is
that nobody from one camp (Sorry, Paul...) will say anything about what
the other camps are doing.)

   -david parsons
   -orc@pell.uucp