[comp.mail.uucp] BSD P_ZERO for HDB

igb@Fulcrum.BT.CO.UK (Ian G Batten) (05/16/89)

The bsd uucp, and uucps derived from it such as UKUUCP, has a pseudo
send-string in chat scripts, P_ZERO.  Honeydanber does not.  I have
a link, via a BT x25 interface, that only works when using ukuucp if
P_ZERO is sent.  (I don't know quite why; it dates back to before my
arrival here).  I now need to make this link work with Honeydanber.
What does the P_ZERO section of the code ``do''?  I need to add some
similar functionality (probably an extra escape character in Dialers).

I have V.2, V.3, bsd source licenses --- logistics mean that the bsd source
is 100 miles away.  If someone could chop the P_ZERO stuff out of bsd and
mail it to me, that'd be neat; if someone could EXPLAIN it that's be
better!!  I need this in a hurry...

Thanks for any pointers.

ian
--
Ian G Batten, BT Fulcrum - igb@fulcrum.bt.co.uk - ...!uunet!ukc!fulcrum!igb

mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu (Mark Benard) (05/19/89)

In article <163@cat.Fulcrum.BT.CO.UK> igb@Fulcrum.BT.CO.UK (Ian G Batten) writes:

>The bsd uucp, and uucps derived from it such as UKUUCP, has a pseudo
>send-string in chat scripts, P_ZERO.  Honeydanber does not.  I have
:
>What does the P_ZERO section of the code ``do''?  I need to add some

We have some local systems that dial in to us and seem to have similar
problems.  Our BSD getty defaults to even parity on incoming calls, and these
other systems want zero parity and do not have P_ZERO capability.  So I have
been looking through the BSD 4.2 UUCP sources and discovered the following (I
think):  the P_ZERO, P_ONE, P_EVEN, and P_ODD indicators are commands which
cause the local uucico to change its behavior rather than to send out a
string.  Each of these sets a flag that causes uucico to send characters with
the specified parity.  I have not gotten through the getty and login code
yet, but I am assuming there is the provision there to detect the parity
setting during login and set the port settings correctly.  All this, of
course, depends on the modems involved to pass 8 bits transparently.

Would someone please confirm whether I have interpeted the code correctly?

Now if I am correct, then all that a system has to do to simulate a P_ZERO
is to use zero parity on sending characters and set its modem to 8 bit
no parity.
--
Mark Benard
Department of Computer Science     INTERNET & BITNET: mb@rex.cs.tulane.edu