[comp.mail.uucp] Eeek! Pathalias error!

clarke@acheron.UUCP (Ed Clarke) (05/20/89)

I tried to send mail to "igb@Fulcrum.BT.CO.UK" and my mail went off to
a fulcrum hanging off of splut.  Here's the pathalias output from my
current map run:

fulcrum	bywater!uunet!sugar!splut!fulcrum!%s	420
fulcrum.bt.co.uk	bywater!uunet!sugar!splut!fulcrum!%s	420

The u.gbr.1 entry for fulcrum looks ok; the only other entry for
a fulcrum is a direct link to splut in u.usa.tx.2.  That fulcrum
has no direct entry in the maps.  Splut seems dead - the mail bounced
after a few days in sugar.

My pathalias version is "@(#)main.c 9.5 88/06/10".
--
Ed Clarke
uunet!bywater!acheron!clarke

" Maynard) (05/22/89)

In article <601@acheron.UUCP> clarke@acheron.UUCP (Ed Clarke) writes:
>I tried to send mail to "igb@Fulcrum.BT.CO.UK" and my mail went off to
>a fulcrum hanging off of splut.  Here's the pathalias output from my
>current map run:
>fulcrum	bywater!uunet!sugar!splut!fulcrum!%s	420
>fulcrum.bt.co.uk	bywater!uunet!sugar!splut!fulcrum!%s	420
>The u.gbr.1 entry for fulcrum looks ok; the only other entry for
>a fulcrum is a direct link to splut in u.usa.tx.2.  That fulcrum
>has no direct entry in the maps.  Splut seems dead - the mail bounced
>after a few days in sugar.
>My pathalias version is "@(#)main.c 9.5 88/06/10".

I don't quite know how fulcrum.bt.co.uk got sent to splut!fulcrum. The
fulcrum I feed is a site here in southeast Texas.

I thought domains were supposed to fix this kind of problem.

Anyway, splut is most assuredly not dead. It was sick, but it appears to
be better now. ($%^#$% Microport!) It will become splut.conmicro.com, if
uunet will ever tell me that it's registered.

I've seen some mail get bounced to me by my local fulcrum, intended for
the one in UK. I don't know what to do with it, yet.

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:        uunet!nuchat!   (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) (05/24/89)

In article <2659@splut.conmicro.com>, jay@splut.conmicro.com (Jay "you ignorant splut!" Maynard) writes:
> I don't quite know how fulcrum.bt.co.uk got sent to splut!fulcrum. The
> fulcrum I feed is a site here in southeast Texas.

But the fulcrum you feed has no uucp map entry.

> I thought domains were supposed to fix this kind of problem.

If fulcrum.bt.co.uk didn't want to have a uucp name, it would be no
problem.  But they do want a uucp name and have it registered in the
maps, with a "#N fulcrum" line and a line that says
fulcrum = "fulcrum.bt.co.uk"
so, by rights, they own the name "fulcrum" in the maps, aka "fulcrum.UUCP".

Now, since they don't seem to actually have any UUCP connections, you
might be able to convince them to give up their UUCP name (keeping
only their domain name) so your neighbor could use it.  Alternately,
you could have them register as fulcrum.WTVR.TX.US [*] and list them
in your maps as

splut	fulcrum.wtvr.tx.us(DIRECT)

and never use "fulcrum" as a UUCP name for them in the maps.

One or the other of you can be "fulcrum", but not both.  Both of you
can have domain names. [**]

Good luck!
-John

[*] WTVR is the official Western Union city code for "Whatever, TX". :-)

[**] If it weren't for the presence of active rerouters, one could
claim that "splut!fulcrum" was unique, but that doesn't solve the
problem.

--
John Owens		john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US		uunet!jetson!john
+1 301 249 6000		john%jetson.uucp@uunet.uu.net

david@dhw68k.cts.com (David H. Wolfskill) (05/25/89)

In article <601@acheron.UUCP> clarke@acheron.UUCP (Ed Clarke) writes:
>I tried to send mail to "igb@Fulcrum.BT.CO.UK" and my mail went off to
>a fulcrum hanging off of splut.  Here's the pathalias output from my
>current map run:

>fulcrum	bywater!uunet!sugar!splut!fulcrum!%s	420
>fulcrum.bt.co.uk	bywater!uunet!sugar!splut!fulcrum!%s	420

>The u.gbr.1 entry for fulcrum looks ok; the only other entry for
>a fulcrum is a direct link to splut in u.usa.tx.2.  That fulcrum
>has no direct entry in the maps....

Short answer:  Functioning as designed.

Somewhat longer (and possibly more useful) answer:

The map entry in u.gbr.1 for fulcrum includes the lines:

fulcrum	.fulcrum.bt.co.uk
fulcrum = "fulcrum.bt.co.uk"

The second line in that part of the entry tells pathalias to treat
"fulcrum" and "fulcrum.bt.co.uk" as equivalent names for the same
destination.

Now, given that pathalias has been told that, if you then also tell
pathalias

splut		fulcrum(DIRECT)

then pathalias will have also been informed that "splut" has a DIRECT
link to the site that may be known as either "fulcrum" or
"fulcrum.bt.co.uk".

Rather than attempting to spell out a moral to all this, I will merely
point out that I sometimes find it useful to run pathalias on small
samples of (what is intended to be) pathalias input.  This process will
check for syntax errors; it will also perform somewhat of a "reality
check" on the topography that you've specified.

For example, let's contruct some pathalias data based on the above, then
feed it to "pathalias -i -c -l foo" and see what the result is....

First, the input:

fulcrum	.fulcrum.bt.co.uk
fulcrum = "fulcrum.bt.co.uk"
splut	fulcrum(DIRECT)
foo	splut(DEMAND), bar(DIRECT)

Here's the output:

0	foo	%s
200	bar	bar!%s
300	splut	splut!%s
500	fulcrum	splut!fulcrum!%s
500	fulcrum.bt.co.uk	splut!fulcrum!%s
4500	.fulcrum.bt.co.uk	splut!fulcrum!%s

The above results should have a recognizable similarity to the issue
that prompted this discussion.

Hope that helps clarify things a bit,
david
--
David H. Wolfskill
uucp: ...{spsd,zardoz,felix}!dhw68k!david	InterNet: david@dhw68k.cts.com

igb@Fulcrum.BT.CO.UK (Ian G Batten) (05/25/89)

In article <239@jetson.UPMA.MD.US> john@jetson.UPMA.MD.US (John Owens) writes:
>Now, since they don't seem to actually have any UUCP connections, you
>might be able to convince them to give up their UUCP name (keeping

We do have uucp connections.  It's just that they don't link directly
to the states and probably don't figure in your maps.  (We talk via one
hop to ukc, who talk to mcvax, who talk to uunet).  Giving up our uucp
domain and using just a domain name would be a little tricky as there
are still deranged people who use 'Path:' to reply to news.  This plus
active re-routers means that uucp names still matter to us.

What is the approved procedure for resolving these problems?  I suspect
that one possibility is to merge the ``other'' fulcrum's password file
into my aliases and forward mail to user@fulcrum where user is one of
the other machine's users to user@fulcrum2.  I have the resources to do
this.

ian

--
Ian G Batten, BT Fulcrum - igb@fulcrum.bt.co.uk - ...!uunet!ukc!fulcrum!igb

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (05/26/89)

Something which might not be well known ...

And, other map coordinators please correct me if I'm mis-remembering.

But ghost sites "reserve" host names in the .UUCP pseudo-domain.
For instance, in the u.usa.ky.1 file we have "plai1" and "edwards"
links listed in the "ukma" entry.  There are no matching map file
entries, therefore these are "ghost sites".

This policy has been in effect since at least last summer.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET