[comp.mail.uucp] Two fulcrums

" Maynard) (05/28/89)

OK, so things are working as designed.
So what's the fix?
Am I going to have to get my downstream site to change his name? Or
register a domain? Or both?

I thought that domaining was supposed to fix this kind of problem...

--
Jay Maynard, EMT-P, K5ZC, PP-ASEL   | Never ascribe to malice that which can
uucp:        uunet!nuchat!   (eieio)| adequately be explained by stupidity.

mark@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) (05/31/89)

In article <2671@splut.conmicro.com> Jay Maynard writes:
>OK, so things are working as designed.
>So what's the fix?
>Am I going to have to get my downstream site to change his name? Or
>register a domain? Or both?
>
>I thought that domaining was supposed to fix this kind of problem...

Domaining does fix this kind of problem, if you use it.  It seems that
it's not being used in this case, so we get the usual confusion from
UUCP name conflicts.

In this case, the remedy is clear.  The UK fulcrum owns the name,
having gotten there first and been properly registered in the map.  The
US site should change their name to something that isn't already in
use.  splut should immediately delete the claimed link to the UK
fulcrum from their map entry (which is what they are currently doing,)
unless they actually set up such a link.

The UK fulcrum's SA has generously offered to forward mail for users of
the US machine that mistakenly arrive on the UK machine.  This is far
above and beyond the call of duty, since such mail will make two
transatlantic hops at BT expense.

There have been several constructive suggestions for domainish names
that the US fulcrum could use.  Other possibilities include putting a
prefix on the UUCP name to make it unique (txfulcrum, for example) or
just choosing a new UUCP name and making sure it's not already taken.

	Mark Horton

" Maynard) (06/01/89)

In article <6980@cbnews.ATT.COM> mark@cbnews.ATT.COM (Mark Horton) writes:
>In this case, the remedy is clear.  The UK fulcrum owns the name,
>having gotten there first and been properly registered in the map.  The
>US site should change their name to something that isn't already in
>use.  splut should immediately delete the claimed link to the UK
>fulcrum from their map entry (which is what they are currently doing,)
>unless they actually set up such a link.

As it turns out, I mailed a message to splut!fulcrum!root, suggesting
that he needed to change his machine name. He replied that he was
shutting down his machine for a while, and that I could turn off his
feed. If he remains in the Houston area, when he gets back on the net,
he will have a different name - hopefully, one that isn't already in
use. (I can't check, since I don't keep all of comp.mail.maps around.)
I've submitted an updated map entry to the Texas coordinator, and will
try to forward misdirected mail in the meantime.

Sorry about the confusion.