[comp.mail.uucp] HDB system forwarding restrictions?

don@grc.UUCP (Donald D. Woelz) (06/08/89)

I am running HDB uucp on System V Release 3.0.

I want to be able to restrict which systems can forward mail to
which other systems.  There does not seem to be anything in
the documentation concerning this.  I would have thought that
there would have been something in the Permissions file that
would allow this.  Are there any undocumented features that will
allow this, or does anyone know of some other way to do this?

What I am specifically looking for is a method to allow system A
to forward mail to all other systems connected to me except system B or
system C.  The opposite would also be okay, that is, system A can
forward only to system B or system C as specified.

Thanks in advance for any help you can email to me on this issue.
--
Don Woelz              {ames, rutgers, harvard}!uwvax!uwmcsd4!grc!don
GENROCO, Inc.                              Phone: 414-644-8700

jhc@att.ATT.COM (Jonathan Hawbrook-Clark) (06/09/89)

In article <221@grc.UUCP> don@grc.UUCP (Donald D. Woelz) writes:
>I want to be able to restrict which systems can forward mail to
>which other systems.

You can't do this with UUCP permissions. All you can do is restrict
which systems have access to which commands. So that, for example,
you could say:

	MACHINE=a:b:c COMMANDS=rmail
	MACHINE=OTHER COMMANDS=

which would only allow those three machines to run rmail.

>What I am specifically looking for is a method to allow system A
>to forward mail to all other systems connected to me except system B or
>system C.  The opposite would also be okay, that is, system A can
>forward only to system B or system C as specified.

The easiest way to do this with your software is to write a shell
script or program which would check last-hop and next-hop for
whether they are allowed to do what they want, then if they are
invoke the real rmail, otherwise bounce the mail. To do this do
something like:

	MACHINE=OTHER COMMANDS=/usr/lib/uucp/rmail

or whatever you want to call it.
--
Jonathan Clark		jonathan@mtune.att.com, attmail!jonathan
Any affiliation is given for identification purposes only.

The Englishman never enjoys himself except for some noble purpose.