[comp.mail.uucp] Ritualistic UUCP Map troubles ...

ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (scritzifchisted ulmo qzutvchsxik) (06/10/89)

mist.aptos.ca.us == mist.uucp
mist.math.uoregon.edu != mist.uucp
mist.math.uoregon.edu == uoregon.uucp
mist.cs.orst.edu != mist.uucp
mist.cs.orst.edu != mist.math.uoregon.edu
(yes, they all exist ...)

This is just a general lesson ... I know who to contact (I think).  The UUCP
Map Data looks like it is correct.  That doesn't stop the thousands dollars
worth of bitbucket mail though.

If you see any "mist.uucp" it is most likely wrong (mist.uucp proper doesn't
generate much mail).  If you see mist.cs.orst.edu or mist.math.uoregon.edu
mail destined via "vdx" or "comix" or "splat", that is wrong.  The problem
might be that MIST.CS.ORST.EDU posts to USENET using a Reply-To: line of
"user@mist.uucp" which is WRONG, and should be "user@mist.cs.orst.edu" or
something.  Be on the general lookout for problems in the Reply-To: line of
any reply you make to USENET, since this seems to be a pathological
installation bug in "rn".

If you have this problem of your host posting "Reply-To: user@host.uucp"
when you really want "host.some.domain", the place to fix it is is most
likely in "Pnews.header" or "Pnews", which are both shell scripts.  Fix them.
(I suggest you have it remove the Reply-To: line altogether, actually.  Don't
use Reply-To: unless it is going to be different than From:.)  When I first
received my news software to compile, I did a grep of all the source and
removed EVERY mention of the word "uucp" or "UUCP" EVERYWHERE.  It worked.

Parting statement:  get a proper domain name and use it properly.
(Send to domain-request@uunet.uu.net for details.)

sechrest@ure.CS.ORST.EDU (John Sechrest) (06/14/89)

In article <7912@saturn.ucsc.edu> ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (scritzifchisted ulmo qzutvchsxik) writes:
>mist.aptos.ca.us == mist.uucp
>mist.math.uoregon.edu != mist.uucp
>mist.math.uoregon.edu == uoregon.uucp
>mist.cs.orst.edu != mist.uucp
>mist.cs.orst.edu != mist.math.uoregon.edu
>(yes, they all exist ...)
>

>If you see any "mist.uucp" it is most likely wrong (mist.uucp proper doesn't
>generate much mail).  If you see mist.cs.orst.edu or mist.math.uoregon.edu
>mail destined via "vdx" or "comix" or "splat", that is wrong.  The problem
>might be that MIST.CS.ORST.EDU posts to USENET using a Reply-To: line of
>"user@mist.uucp" which is WRONG, and should be "user@mist.cs.orst.edu" or
>something.  Be on the general lookout for problems in the Reply-To: line of
>any reply you make to USENET, since this seems to be a pathological
>installation bug in "rn".

We are aware that mist does in fact generate bad reply to headers
from news. We will be fixing it now that the summer has started.
It is true that mail to mist.uucp will not come to mist.cs.orst.edu.
One problem that we have had is that mail to orstcs!mist!user will
not work correctly. This happens for several reasons.

First orstcs uses path alias routing and since it will get the mail
from uucp, it will assume that orstcs!mist!user is really
user@mist.uucp, which is not mist.cs.orst.edu. If you want to use
a uucp mail address to get to mist.cs.orst.edu (assuming you
don't have a smarter mailer that accepts RFC 822 addresses) you
must say:
X!orstcs!mist.cs.orst.edu!user

As as I said earlier, we don't plan to fix this very soon.