[comp.mail.uucp] how to fix rn return addresses

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (06/12/89)

Go through all the rn source code and change all references to .UUCP to
.whateveryourdomainis. There is a reference in Pnews.header.SH and there is
a reference in one of the .h files, as I recall. This will cause rn to
generate proper Reply-To: addresses.

Alternate, preferable, fix: rip out the Reply-To: code altogether. I'm
in full agreement with ulmo here.

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (06/12/89)

In article <WISNER.89Jun11122624@anableps.berkeley.edu> wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) wrote:
>Go through all the rn source code and change all references to .UUCP to
>.whateveryourdomainis.

It's not very difficult.  There aren't many of them.

>Alternate, preferable, fix: rip out the Reply-To: code altogether. I'm
>in full agreement with ulmo here.

Not acceptable for NNTP-only leaf nodes, like the one I'm typing
to now (forel.stanford.edu).  Mail to karish@portia.stanford.edu is
guaranteed to bounce.

The proper domain name should be set by the installation script.

	Chuck Karish		{decwrl,hpda}!mindcrf!karish
	(415) 493-7277		karish@forel.stanford.edu

wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner) (06/12/89)

(I recommended ripping out the code that generates Reply-To: headers.)

>Not acceptable for NNTP-only leaf nodes, like the one I'm typing
>to now (forel.stanford.edu).  Mail to karish@portia.stanford.edu is
>guaranteed to bounce.

Examine your article closely, Mr. Karish. Your From: line reads
"karish@forel.stanford.edu". The Reply-To: line, which is identical,
is merely wasted space.

I myself read news with an NNTP client and I have no Reply-To: line as
you can see.

chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) (06/12/89)

In article <2903@portia.Stanford.EDU> karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>[Re: hacking rn for other than .UUCP]
>The proper domain name should be set by the installation script.

I hacked Configure and a couple of other places to do exactly this.  It
adds a DOMAINNAME definition and a "%k" interpolation.  Drop me a line
if you want a copy.
--
Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom

brian@ncrcan.Toronto.NCR.COM (Brian Onn) (06/13/89)

In article <264@vector.Dallas.TX.US> chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US (Chip Rosenthal) writes:
>In article <2903@portia.Stanford.EDU> karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>>[Re: hacking rn for other than .UUCP]
>>The proper domain name should be set by the installation script.
>
>I hacked Configure and a couple of other places to do exactly this.  It
>adds a DOMAINNAME definition and a "%k" interpolation.  Drop me a line
>if you want a copy.
>--
>Chip Rosenthal / chip@vector.Dallas.TX.US / Dallas Semiconductor / 214-450-5337
>"I wish you'd put that starvation box down and go to bed" - Albert Collins' Mom

As domain names become more popular, it seems to me that there
should be a portable way to determine the domain name either at
configuration time or run time.  For determining the hostname,
we have hostname(2) for Berkely, uname(2) for USG, /etc/nodename on some
Xenixes, and probably others that I am not familiar with.

Shouldn't there be a way to (portably) determine your domain name
by now??

Brian,

allbery@ncoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery) (06/16/89)

As quoted from <WISNER.89Jun11122624@anableps.berkeley.edu> by wisner@mica.Berkeley.EDU (Bill Wisner):
+---------------
| Go through all the rn source code and change all references to .UUCP to
| .whateveryourdomainis. There is a reference in Pnews.header.SH and there is
| a reference in one of the .h files, as I recall. This will cause rn to
| generate proper Reply-To: addresses.
+---------------

Actually, I finally found the problem.  I'm SOOOO embarrassed! :-(

I had changed every occurrence of .UUCP in rn, Pnews.header, nd everywhere
else I could find in the rn distribution.  No change -- my postings still
insisted on claiming "allbery@ncoast.UUCP".  Aack.

A few days ago, I edited my .rnrc (my $RNINIT points to $HOME/.rnrc) to add
some options (-t -v).  While I was there, I noticed my $NEWSHEADER line,
added to implement escapes to select a single newsgroup to Followup-To:.

Guess what?  "...Reply-To: %L@%H.UUCP..."  (well, case optional...)

I changed it to %L@NCoast.ORG, and all is now well.  Sigh.  Anyone got a
brick wall I can bash my head against?  ;-) :-(

++Brandon
--
Brandon S. Allbery, moderator of comp.sources.misc	     allbery@ncoast.org
uunet!hal.cwru.edu!ncoast!allbery		    ncoast!allbery@hal.cwru.edu

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (06/19/89)

In article <2903@portia.Stanford.EDU> karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>Not acceptable for NNTP-only leaf nodes, like the one I'm typing
>to now (forel.stanford.edu).  Mail to karish@portia.stanford.edu is
>guaranteed to bounce.

That's silly.  It's ridiculously easy to install MX records into your
pointing to a machine which can handle mail.  Then, once you've done
that, it's a little bit harder to teach that machine which hosts it
handles mail for.  But once you figure out how to do that with sendmail
(it's rather *easy* with MMDF) you're in business.  Mail to portia.stanford.edu
will end up on a mail-serving machine.
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) (06/20/89)

In article <11939@s.ms.uky.edu> david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) wrote:
>In article <2903@portia.Stanford.EDU> karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
>>Not acceptable for NNTP-only leaf nodes, like the one I'm typing
>>to now (forel.stanford.edu).  Mail to karish@portia.stanford.edu is
>>guaranteed to bounce.

>That's silly.  It's ridiculously easy to install MX records into your
>pointing to a machine which can handle mail.  Then, once you've done
>that, it's a little bit harder to teach that machine which hosts it
>handles mail for.  But once you figure out how to do that with sendmail
>(it's rather *easy* with MMDF) you're in business.  Mail to portia.stanford.edu
>will end up on a mail-serving machine.

My original comment WAS silly, for the reason that Bill Wisner already
pointed out.

As for mail forwarding, the way to fix that would be to install an
alias on portia.stanford.edu.  If portia's administrative staff took on
the task of maintaining proper addresses for all the thousands of
people who might post news from any of the hundreds of workstations
that might get an NNTP feed from portia at one time or another, they
wouldn't have time left to support educational users of their machine.

Forel handles mail just fine.  That's why I want its name to be in my
return address.

dik@cwi.nl (Dik T. Winter) (06/20/89)

In article <3045@portia.Stanford.EDU> karish@forel.stanford.edu (Chuck Karish) writes:
 > As for mail forwarding, the way to fix that would be to install an
 > alias on portia.stanford.edu.  If portia's administrative staff took on
 > the task of maintaining proper addresses for all the thousands of
 > people who might post news from any of the hundreds of workstations
 > that might get an NNTP feed from portia at one time or another, they
 > wouldn't have time left to support educational users of their machine.

But that can be automated (as it is here, though we do not have thousands).
INTERNET   : dik@cwi.nl
BITNET/EARN: dik@mcvax