[comp.mail.uucp] Concurrent uucico with mutiple dialout modems

barriost@gtephx.UUCP (Tim Barrios) (06/21/89)

We are failrly new to UUCP and have a question about it.  We have been using
one 19.2 dialout modem for some time now to call several sites, including
2400 and 1200 baud sites.  Recently, we added a 2400 baud modem to be used
for dialin the slower sites as we assumed that this would free up the 19.2
modem for talking to the fast sites.  However, we found out that even though
we have two modems, only one uucico session runs at a time so even though
consecutive uucico sessions (kicked off by uusched) may use two different
modems, they did not run concurrently.

We are using HDB UUCP on Apollos (Domain/OS).

To set this up, we added the 2400 baud modem to the Devices file.

We can obvoiusly make this work by doing our own concurrent uucico sessions
from some kind of home-grown script but we would prefer to let uusched
do it.  It makes a lot of sense for uusched to be able to do concurrent
uucico sessions when multiple dialout modems are available.  I must be
doing something wrong.  Can someone tell me what it is?

--
Tim Barrios (barriost@gtephx)
UUCP: {ncar!noao!asuvax | uunet!zardoz!hrc | att}!gtephx!barriost

gentry@kcdev.UUCP (Art Gentry) (06/22/89)

In article <43f28c84.f81c@gtephx.UUCP>, barriost@gtephx.UUCP (Tim Barrios) writes:
> [problem intro vergage deleted]
>
> We can obvoiusly make this work by doing our own concurrent uucico sessions
> from some kind of home-grown script but we would prefer to let uusched
> do it.  It makes a lot of sense for uusched to be able to do concurrent
> uucico sessions when multiple dialout modems are available.  I must be
> doing something wrong.  Can someone tell me what it is?

In the directory /usr/lib/uucp are several Max* files.
The file Maxuuscheds defines the maximum number of concurrent uuscheds allowed.
The file Maxuuxqts defines the maximum number of concurrent uuxqts.

On all of my AT&T 3B systems, the default as delivered was 1 in each.

--
| R. Arthur Gentry     AT&T Communications     Kansas City, MO     64106 |
| Email: killer!kcdev!gentry         ATTMail: attmail!kc4rtm!gentry      |