[comp.mail.uucp] HDB Permissions question

kamat@uceng.UC.EDU (Govind N. Kamat) (07/05/89)

I recently began using HDB on our system, and am rather confused about
the difference between LOGNAME and MACHINE entries in Permissions.
The impression I got after going through the rather sparse
documentation is that an entry of the form

LOGNAME=Uremote MACHINE=remote \
READ=/usr/spool/uucppublic WRITE=/usr/spool/uucppublic

would restrict file transactions to the PUBDIR directory.

However, I find that both

$ uucp /etc/rc remote!~; and
$ uucp remote!~/rc /usr/tmp/

seem to have no problems succeeding.

Could someone illuminate me on what this is supposed to mean?  It's
probably something very straightforward, so please e-mail...
Thanks very much.
--
Govind N. Kamat 			College of Engineering
kamat@uceng.UC.EDU			University of Cincinnati

kevin@kosman.UUCP (Kevin O'Gorman) (07/09/89)

In article <1395@uceng.UC.EDU> kamat@uceng.UC.EDU (Govind N. Kamat) writes:
>  [ removed description of HDB setup ]
>However, I find that both
>
>$ uucp /etc/rc remote!~; and
>$ uucp remote!~/rc /usr/tmp/
>
>seem to have no problems succeeding.

The Permissions file is intended to control what the *other guy* can
request.  It does not limit you at all, so you can request anything that
HDB can do.

To test your Permissions file, you have to see what happens when the
remote site makes the corresponding requests.

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (07/10/89)

In article <809@kosman.UUCP> kevin@kosman.UUCP (Root) writes:
>In article <1395@uceng.UC.EDU> kamat@uceng.UC.EDU (Govind N. Kamat) writes:
>>  [ removed description of HDB setup ]

[ removed Kevin's remarks other than the last one ]

>To test your Permissions file, you have to see what happens when the
>remote site makes the corresponding requests.

There's a program that comes with HDB called "uucheck".  If you run
it with the -v option (it might be -x, try them both) it will play
out, in plain English, what each of the entries do.  It will also point
out errors that you might have made before they cause something to
malfunction.  It's a good idea to run uucheck after any significant
change to the Permissions file.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {killer,att,cs.utexas.edu,sun!daver}!ssbn!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill