[comp.mail.uucp] Re^4: Short-circuiting a route

jim@eda.com (Jim Budler) (07/05/89)

gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) writes:

>Just to note a case where short-circuiting uucp paths to the rightmost
>domain doesn't work:

>	hop!abc.xyz.com!node.decnet!user

Absolutely correct, it wont work.

>I see these things all the time.  I believe something called Ultrix
>generates them. :-)  If you short circuit to the rightmost domain,
>then letters so addressed cannot be delivered.  Isn't the ultimate
>goal to provide better service?

Don't blame Ultrix, blame the usual vendor supplied .cf files...

I have both Wollongong supplied gateway to DECNET, and
Ultrix supplied gateway to DECNET. Wollongong supplies the node.decnet
and Ultrix supplies node.dnet. (This may not be a complete list, other
vendors may also use those methods).

As the administrator responsible for overseeing the gateway to the rest
of the world from our internal network, I have attempted, and as far as
I know succeeded, to excise these addresses from the mail which leaves
our network and enters the outside world.

>Since this is uucp we're talking about, I don't think you can say that
>node.decnet or node.dnet is illegal, though I'd agree heartily that it's
>ugly and disgusting.

I believe this statement is wrong. I also believe that any address of
the form node.transport-mechanism is wrong, including node.UUCP.
However, I don't do anything active about this belief, except my best
effort to insure that anything leaving my domain conforms to this
requirement.

Anyone dumb enough to source route through my site should succeed,
but why? They can route decwrl!uunet faster than decwrl!eda!uunet 8^)

>Greg Paris <gmp@ray.com>

P.S. Someone in this thread asked about Paul Vixie. He's
still at decwrl and vixie.sf.ca. (Sigh. Someday perhaps I too
can have my own personnal budler.sj.ca)

jim
--
Jim Budler   address = uucp: ...!{decwrl,uunet}!eda!jim
					 domain: jim@eda.com

barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) (07/08/89)

In article <507@eda.com>, jim@eda (Jim Budler) writes:
>gmp@rayssd.ray.com (Gregory M. Paris) writes:
>>Since this is uucp we're talking about, I don't think you can say that
>>node.decnet or node.dnet is illegal, though I'd agree heartily that it's
>>ugly and disgusting.

I don't much like it either, but when some companies have 20,000
machines on internal networks, it is not practicle to have a real domain
name unless you do something equally disgusting like.

	machine.decnet.xyz.com

>I believe this statement is wrong. I also believe that any address of
>the form node.transport-mechanism is wrong, including node.UUCP.
>However, I don't do anything active about this belief, except my best
>effort to insure that anything leaving my domain conforms to this
>requirement.

As long as there are specialized networks, you will have gateways and
you will have addresses of the form
	xyz.com!machine.decnet!user
or
	user%machine.decnet@xyz.com
or
	<@xyz.com:user@machine.decnet>

You will also find many systems that cannot handle 1, 2 or all three forms of
the above address.

p.s. We plan to use the "disgusting" form of user@machine.dnet.ge.com
eventually, as soon as we get all of our gateways and name servers
converted. sigh.

p.p.s if you think xyz.com!machine.decnet!user is disgusting,
try being postmaster of a machine with UUCP, internet, and decnet gateways
and then watch people try to route mail from their VMS machine to
a UUCP or BITNET site thru an internet site.
And then watch people try to reply!

You ain't seen nothing! :-)

--
Bruce G. Barnett	<barnett@crdgw1.ge.com>  a.k.a. <barnett@[192.35.44.4]>
			uunet!crdgw1.ge.com!barnett barnett@crdgw1.UUCP

amanda@intercon.uu.net (Amanda Walker) (07/10/89)

In article <1130@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, barnett@crdgw1.crd.ge.com (Bruce Barnett) writes:
> something equally disgusting like.
>
> 	machine.decnet.xyz.com

I'd argue that this is far less disgusting, since it subsumes the routing
information underneath the XYZ.COM domain.  How XYZ.COM administers their
namespace is their business, and if they want to make life easier for
themselves by advertising an MX record for *.DECNET.XYZ.COM, that's fine
with me, since it's still a fully qualified domain name.  This also lets
people inside this subdomain mail to people on other DECnet networks by
using FQDNs without going through contortions to route through gateways.
Looks like a somewhat reasonable way to do things to me.

Doesn't DEC do something like this with DEC.COM?

--
Amanda Walker
InterCon Systems Corporation