[comp.mail.uucp] Odd happenings with Tahoe UUCP

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (07/13/89)

One of our neighbours has recently changed their OS on a VAX to Tahoe
BSD 4.3. Since the change, I have noticed very strange behaviour when
we try to call them:

uucico goes through the dial and login process, and gets to the stage
where the uucico starts on the remote system (the one running Tahoe).
It responds with:

^PShere=XAIT^@

just as it should, we send:

^PSlakart^@

which is the correct reply, and then they hang up on us. The odd thing
is, they know who we are, because if I call from my machine at home
(pallio.uucp), when it responds:

^PSpallio^@

I get the:

^PRyou are unknown to me^@

that I'd expect. Are there any oddities of permissions that need to be set to
make Tahoe work right, cause I don't have a clue what's going wrong, but
I'm looking for ideas.

Please E-mail (via cfisun :-) use this path:

	..... !harvard!cfisun!lakart!dg.

			Thanks in advance,
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) (07/17/89)

In article <617@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>uucico goes through the dial and login process, and gets to the stage
>where the uucico starts on the remote system (the one running Tahoe).
>It responds with:
>
>^PShere=XAIT^@
>
>just as it should, we send:
>
>^PSlakart^@
>
>which is the correct reply, and then they hang up on us. The odd thing
>is, they know who we are....

No, they don't. That's the whole problem. Your machine, lakart, is not in
their L.sys file. That they sometimes hang up on you before printing the "You
are unknown to me" message is probably an artifact of their tty interface, or
the debugging level of your uucico.

<csg>

dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) (07/18/89)

csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) sez:
] In article <617@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (Who, Me???) writes:
]>uucico goes through the dial and login process, and gets to the stage
]>where the uucico starts on the remote system (the one running Tahoe).
]>It responds with:
]>
]>^PShere=XAIT^@
]>
]>just as it should, we send:
]>
]>^PSlakart^@
]>
]
] No, they don't. That's the whole problem. Your machine, lakart, is not in
] their L.sys file. That they sometimes hang up on you before printing the "You
] are unknown to me" message is probably an artifact of their tty interface, or
] the debugging level of your uucico.

I must beg to differ, for two reasons.

1. They call _US_ and get through (about 15% of the time). Now as far as I
know, most Un*x systems won't call someone else that doesn't have a line
in their L.sys

2. I called from my machine pallio at home, who is most definitely not in
their L.sys, and it gets the ^PRyou are unknown to me^@ _EVERY_ _TIME_
--
	dg@lakart.UUCP - David Goodenough		+---+
						IHS	| +-+-+
	....... !harvard!xait!lakart!dg			+-+-+ |
AKA:	dg%lakart.uucp@xait.xerox.com		  	  +---+

lindberg@cs.chalmers.se (Gunnar Lindberg) (07/21/89)

I'm sorry to send this as a Followup, but I tried to use the address
from the article (AKA: dg%lakart.uucp@xait.xerox.com) and got back
    554 <dg%lakart.uucp@xait.xerox.com>... unknown mailer error 255
Well, well...

In article <623@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>I must beg to differ, for two reasons.
>
>1. They call _US_ and get through (about 15% of the time). Now as far as I
>know, most Un*x systems won't call someone else that doesn't have a line
>in their L.sys
>
>2. I called from my machine pallio at home, who is most definitely not in
>their L.sys, and it gets the ^PRyou are unknown to me^@ _EVERY_ _TIME_

Could it be that your call now passes trough a device that uses/adds
parity? We've had problems going through such devices since the version
of uucp we use (no, don't ask me) did not strip off the 8:th bit of
it's input characters (as I guess you know, the initial processing is
done in raw mode, although comparision to L.sys names assume that the
8:th bit is 0). When we used "tip" to test manually, *it* did strip
the 8:th bit off, so then everything seemed OK.

Have you tried to actually call them by hand, using tip or kermit,
and given them the correct (uucp)name? What's the reply then?

	Gunnar Lindberg

tvf@cci632.UUCP (Tom Frauenhofer) (07/22/89)

In article <623@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (David Goodenough) writes:
>csg@pyramid.pyramid.com (Carl S. Gutekunst) sez:
>] In article <617@lakart.UUCP> dg@lakart.UUCP (Who, Me???) writes:
>]>   < UUCP connects but eventually dies>
>] No, they don't. That's the whole problem. Your machine, lakart, is not in
>] their L.sys file.
>I must beg to differ, for two reasons.

I had a similar problem with a UUCP link to a Tahoe about a year ago.  Not
only do you have to be in their L.sys file, but you also need to be in their
USERFILE explicitly.  The "default" USERFILE rule doesn't work.  Both the
login and the system name have to be listed.

Thomas V. Frauenhofer	...!rutgers!rochester!cci632!ccird7!tvf
*or* ...!rochester!cci632!ccird7!frau!tvf *or* ...!rochester!rit!anna!ma!tvf1477
FRAU BBS: (716) 227-8094 2400/1200/300 baud - log in as "new" to register
"The Earth? I'm going to blow it up.  It obstructs my view of Venus" - Martin