[comp.mail.uucp] pathalias ignores fast Internet connections

clp@Altos.COM (Chuck L. Peterson) (06/08/89)

When sending mail from here to places on the Internet such as
user@machine.berkeley.edu, pathalias gives me this path:
	uunet!mtxinu!ucbvax!machine.berkeley.edu!user

Clearly, the optimal route is:
	uunet!machine.berkeley.edu!user

The funadamental flaw in the smail system I have (2.5), is that
it assumes the only way to domains such as berkeley.edu is via
uucp to the domain's main machine; "ucbvax.UUCP" in this case.

I'm pretty sure this isn't just a problem with the ucbvax map entry
since most Internet sites with map entries work this way. (They can't
all be wrong, right?) Sure, uunet can do some bogus optimization by
realizing this, but I think we've decided this is not a good idea.
Or is this all just a problem with the way my stuff is set up...

Chuck L. Peterson
clp@altos.com

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (06/08/89)

In article <1207@altos86.UUCP> clp@Altos.COM (Chuck L. Peterson) writes:

| The funadamental flaw in the smail system I have (2.5), is that
| it assumes the only way to domains such as berkeley.edu is via
| uucp to the domain's main machine; "ucbvax.UUCP" in this case.

  Maybe. Have you specified the cost correctly? As I recall there is
code in pathalias which avoids doing a connect between a machine with
internet style addressing and one with bang addressing. You might find
and disable this.

  I assume that if you have internet connections you are using the -l
flag to route them back to sendmail.

  We are using smail2.5 and are getting mostly the routes we expect.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (06/09/89)

In article <1207@altos86.UUCP> clp@Altos.COM (Chuck L. Peterson) writes:
>When sending mail from here to places on the Internet such as
>user@machine.berkeley.edu, pathalias gives me this path:
>	uunet!mtxinu!ucbvax!machine.berkeley.edu!user
>
>Clearly, the optimal route is:
>	uunet!machine.berkeley.edu!user
>
>The funadamental flaw in the smail system I have (2.5), is that
>it assumes the only way to domains such as berkeley.edu is via
>uucp to the domain's main machine; "ucbvax.UUCP" in this case.

This is not a flaw in the smail system; it's a flaw in the UUCP map
data.  Specifically, since .berkeley.edu is an Internet domain,
it should not be listed in the UUCP map, and neither should any
host foo.berkeley.edu.  This would make the map smaller, and
furthermore, smail will then generate the optimal route you describe,
provided that you have the line

.edu	 uunet!%s

in your /usr/lib/uucp/paths.

Let's delete all domains that are on the Internet from the UUCP map.
The map will get smaller and we'll actually generate better routes.

--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (06/13/89)

In article <3288@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:

| This is not a flaw in the smail system; it's a flaw in the UUCP map
| data.  Specifically, since .berkeley.edu is an Internet domain,
| it should not be listed in the UUCP map, and neither should any
| host foo.berkeley.edu.  This would make the map smaller, and
| furthermore, smail will then generate the optimal route you describe,
| provided that you have the line
|
| .edu	 uunet!%s
|
| in your /usr/lib/uucp/paths.
|
| Let's delete all domains that are on the Internet from the UUCP map.
| The map will get smaller and we'll actually generate better routes.

 Let's not get carried away here, sending from a machine on the west
coast all the way to uunet and then back via internet to Berkeley is not
usually the best way to do things. There should be a better way to get
to ucbvax than uunet, starting in CA.

  What we need is to change pathalias to reduct the cost of a transition
between nets, and thus generate better maps.

jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) (06/13/89)

In article <742@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
> Let's not get carried away here, sending from a machine on the west
>coast all the way to uunet and then back via internet to Berkeley is not
>usually the best way to do things. There should be a better way to get
>to ucbvax than uunet, starting in CA.

The person I was replying to said he wanted things to go through uunet,
suggesting that it was near him.  Here are the official gateways for
the domains .arpa, .com, .gov, .mil, .edu, .org, .net, and .us from
UUCP-land:

apple, cornell, decwrl, harvard, rutgers, talcott, ucbvax, uunet

If my suggestion (about removing .foo.edu and host.foo.edu and so forth
from the map for Internet sites) were taken, and it's cheaper for you
to get to Berkeley than to uunet, your map data might have

.edu   ucbvax!%s

instead of

.edu	uunet!%s

>  What we need is to change pathalias to reduct the cost of a transition
>between nets, and thus generate better maps.

As designed, pathalias doesn't know, when generating routes, that there
is any relation between .com, .foo.com, and .bar.foo.com.  If it is
changed, we would need an indication of whether a subdomain is connected
to the main domain gateway by a fast network or a slow one.  Given the
existing pathalias program and the cost of sending comp.mail.maps around,
I'd rather encourage proposals to decrease its size than to increase it.

--
-- Joe Buck	jbuck@epimass.epi.com, uunet!epimass.epi.com!jbuck

Makey@LOGICON.ARPA (Jeff Makey) (06/14/89)

In article <742@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>  What we need is to change pathalias to reduct the cost of a transition
>between nets, and thus generate better maps.

No change to pathalias is needed.  Sites who are willing to serve as
Internet<-->UUCP gateways can simply show a suitably low-cost two-way
connection to a phantom host called, say, "internet".  A good cost for
the connection would be (ARPA/2).  Thus, gateways could add the
following to their map entries:

gateway    internet(ARPA/2)
internet   gateway(ARPA/2)

Conveniently, there is currently no host named "internet" in the UUCP map.

These gateway hosts would have to fix their mailers to deal with the
inevitable paths of the form ...!gateway1!internet!gateway2!..., but a
simple sendmail rule will do the trick.  And sites would only do this
on a voluntary basis.

Is this a good idea?  Are there any better ones?

                           :: Jeff Makey

Department of Tautological Pleonasms and Superfluous Redundancies Department
    Disclaimer: Logicon doesn't even know we're running news.
    Internet: Makey@LOGICON.ARPA    UUCP: {nosc,ucsd}!logicon.arpa!Makey

david@ms.uky.edu (David Herron -- One of the vertebrae) (06/19/89)

In article <3307@epimass.EPI.COM> jbuck@epimass.EPI.COM (Joe Buck) writes:
>In article <742@crdgw1.crd.ge.com> davidsen@crdos1.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>> Let's not get carried away here, sending from a machine on the west
>>coast all the way to uunet and then back via internet to Berkeley is not
>>usually the best way to do things. There should be a better way to get
>>to ucbvax than uunet, starting in CA.

So make a UUCP link with one of the west coast machines who does gatewaying ...

But I'm really replying to Joe ...

>If my suggestion (about removing .foo.edu and host.foo.edu and so forth
>from the map for Internet sites) were taken, and it's cheaper for you
>to get to Berkeley than to uunet, your map data might have
>
>.edu   ucbvax!%s
>
>instead of
>
>.edu	uunet!%s

That extra information is there for a purpose.  It's so that specific
parts of domain name space can declare gateways for themselves which might
possibly be "more efficient".  It reduces load on the Official .edu
type gateways.  Etc, etc, etc.

>>  What we need is to change pathalias to reduct the cost of a transition
>>between nets, and thus generate better maps.
>
>As designed, pathalias doesn't know, when generating routes, that there
>is any relation between .com, .foo.com, and .bar.foo.com.

I do see that a small change might be made to improve things.  Consider
a case where you have a .edu gateway and .podunk.edu gateway.  To reach
the .edu one "costs", say, 100 and the .podunk.edu one "costs" 10,000.
In that cast it's probably better to go by way of the .edu gateway.

I'm not proposing that someone teach pathalias about domains.  This could
be handled by a script of some sort, like

	run pathalias in the mode which generates costs as well as routes
						save the output in "paths1"
	look through paths1 doing
		if it doesn't have a ".", continue
		/* we know it's some domain name */
		look through the list of already known gateways and
			if we find one whose name is a "superset" of
			this one, then delete this route from paths1
			(superset means ".edu" is-superset-of ".podunk.edu")

But what do you do with .uucp hosts.  How does one decide if you want
to run such a script?  Or should everybody?

The danger I see is that, if everyone ran this script that some routing
loop might happen.  Oh, I see, the gateway site will have to delete themselves
from the list of sites doing gatewaying before they do *their* pathalias run.

(Erik, is the script I described up there the one you say you wrote last fall?)
--
<- David Herron; an MMDF guy                              <david@ms.uky.edu>
<- ska: David le casse\*'      {rutgers,uunet}!ukma!david, david@UKMA.BITNET

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (06/20/89)

In article <3183@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> ahd@sun.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu writes:

| I would not call it a flaw.  Rather, it avoids use of the internet
| because the internet HAS NOT AGREED to be a backbone for UUCP traffic.

  The change was put in pathalias in January 1985, in V6. I don't have
the posting anymore (yes I do throw something away) but my recollection
is that the change was not added for any high and lofty moral reason,
but because a hybred address usually broke mailers to the point that the
mail might not go through at all. The code in question is in mapit.c in
the 'costof' module.

  I have generated maps with this code disabled, but I only loked at the
output and did not try using it. Mailers are a lot better than they were
five years ago, and these might well work.

  Obviously the poster who said that it's a bug in pathalias not a
feature has never looked at the code or the documentation. Not using
mixed addresses was promoted as one of the reasons to upgrade to V6. You
may not like what it does, bvut it works as designed.

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (06/20/89)

:
:       run pathalias in the mode which generates costs as well as routes
:                                               save the output in "paths1"
:       look through paths1 doing
:               if it doesn't have a ".", continue
:               /* we know it's some domain name */
:               look through the list of already known gateways and
:                       if we find one whose name is a "superset" of
:                       this one, then delete this route from paths1
:                       (superset means ".edu" is-superset-of ".podunk.edu")

I run the following program on my system as a postprocessor on sorted
pathalias output. If you have b.a and .a in the pathalias output, b.a
goes away. Due to the particular connectivity for my site, I do not
need to consider the cost of b.a vs. .a, but for a general system,
one should.

The program isn't wonderfully efficient, but the time it takes is
negligible nonetheless.

This program is freshly written and has not been cleaned up other
than to remove lint. There are, as you can see, no comments.

Caveat Usor!

------------------------------cut here----------------------------------------
#include <stdio.h>
#include <string.h>

/* Copyright 1989 by T. William Wells, bill@twwells.com.
   All Rights Reserved.

   You can do anything you want with this code, except alter or
   remove the copyright notice. */

extern char     *malloc();
extern void     free();

typedef struct GATE {
	struct GATE *g_next;
	char    *g_site;
	char    *g_path;
} GATE;

char    Buffer[1024];
char    *Path;
int     Sitelen;
GATE    *Gatelist;

void    addgate();
void    printgate();

int
main()
{
	while (gets(Buffer)) {
		Path = strchr(Buffer, '\t');
		Sitelen = Path - Buffer;
		*Path++ = 0;
		if (!hasgate()) {
			if (Buffer[0] != '.') {
				break;
			}
			addgate();
		}
	}
	printgate();
	if (feof(stdin)) {
		exit(0);
	}
	puts(Buffer);
	while (gets(Buffer)) {
		Path = strchr(Buffer, '\t');
		Sitelen = Path - Buffer;
		*Path++ = 0;
		if (!hasgate()) {
			printf("%s\t%s\n", Buffer, Path);
		}
	}
	exit(0);
	/*NOTREACHED*/
}

char *
myalloc(size)
int     size;
{
	char    *ptr;

	if (!(ptr = malloc((unsigned)size))) {
		fprintf(stderr, "Out of memory.\n");
		exit(1);
	}
	return (ptr);
}

char *
stralloc(str)
char    *str;
{
	char    *ptr;

	ptr = myalloc(strlen(str) + 1);
	strcpy(ptr, str);
	return (ptr);
}

int
hasgate()
{
	register GATE *gp;
	register char *ptr;

	ptr = Buffer + Sitelen;
	while (1) {
		while (ptr > Buffer && *--ptr != '.')
			;
		if (ptr == Buffer) {
			return (0);
		}
		for (gp = Gatelist; gp; gp = gp->g_next) {
			if (strcmp(ptr, gp->g_site) == 0) {
				return (1);
			}
		}
	}
}

void
addgate()
{
	register GATE    *gp;
	register GATE    *gp1;
	int     n;

	gp1 = 0;
	for (gp = Gatelist; gp; ) {
		n = strlen(gp->g_site);
		if (n < Sitelen
		    || strcmp(gp->g_site + n - Sitelen, Buffer) != 0) {
			gp1 = gp;
			gp = gp->g_next;
			continue;
		}
		if (gp1) {
			gp1->g_next = gp->g_next;
		} else {
			Gatelist = gp->g_next;
		}
		free(gp->g_site);
		free(gp->g_path);
		free((char *)gp);
		if (gp1) {
			gp = gp1->g_next;
		} else {
			gp = Gatelist;
		}
	}
	gp = (GATE *)myalloc(sizeof(GATE));
	if (gp1) {
		gp1->g_next = gp;
	} else {
		Gatelist = gp;
	}
	gp->g_next = 0;
	gp->g_site = stralloc(Buffer);
	gp->g_path = stralloc(Path);
}

void
printgate()
{
	GATE    *gp;

	for (gp = Gatelist; gp; gp = gp->g_next) {
		printf("%s\t%s\n", gp->g_site, gp->g_path);
	}
}
------------------------------cut here----------------------------------------

bill@twwells.com

ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen) (07/22/89)

[what UUCP Map & pathalias gives:]
> 	uunet!mtxinu!ucbvax!machine.berkeley.edu!user
> Clearly, the optimal route is:
> 	uunet!machine.berkeley.edu!user

It is a flaw in the UUCP Mapping project.  If it weren't, then I would know why
it wasn't because the UUCP Mapping project would have told me why not
(as a user) and how to do it right.  As it is, it is fairly flawed.

The way I have found to fix this is something like this, and though it is
a fairly exhaustive task in the beginning, it does have the desired result:
[Most of this is extremely incomplete, and although I'm sure it would help
my corner of the world a bit for pathalias, it deserves many more nets
and hosts listed.]

### pathalias input
INTERNET={ ARPANET, NSFNET, MILNET, CSNET }(130)

ARPANET={ someuucphost.arpa }(150)

NSFNET={ BARRNET }(110)

BARRNET={ UCSC-NET, Berkeley-NET, SU, Apple-NET, SRI-NET }(105)

SRI-NET={ UNIX.SRI.COM } (LOCAL)
Apple-NET={ Apple.com }(LOCAL)
Berkeley-NET={ ucbvax.berkeley.edu, ucbarpa.berkeley.edu, jade.berkeley.edu,
	agate.berkeley.edu }(100)
UCSC-NET={ ucscc.ucsc.edu, ssyx.ucsc.edu }(LOCAL)

# No host should be listed in the UUCP Maps here which does not understand UUCP
# bang notation and accept it -- i.e. the leaf nodes listed in this network tree
# are basically UUCP & Internet hosts.  (I could explain this better, but
# I don't feel like it now for the zillionth time.)
# All IP hosts listed in UUCP Maps would be incorporated into this.

# This data should be processed with -i on the pathalias line, as all pathalias
# data should.

# I did something like this I think and it worked very nicely:

INTERNET .AR(120), .ARPA(120), .AT(120), .AU(120), .BE(120), .BR(120), .CA(120),
	.CH(120), .CL(120), .COM(120), .DE(120), .DK(120), .EDU(120), .ES(120),
	.FI(120), .FR(120), .GOV(120), .GR(120), .IE(120), .IL(120), .IN(120),
	.INT(120), .IS(120), .IT(120), .JP(120), .KR(120), .MIL(120), .MX(120),
	.MY(120), .NET(120), .NL(120), .NO(120), .NZ(120), .ORG(120), .PT(120),
	.SE(120), .SG(120), .TH(120), .UK(120), .US(120), .YU(120),

# Well, I forget whether the (120) was good or not.  I could look into this
# further.  Pathalias also understands other mechanisms dealing with
# ".domain", which ought to be explored a little ...

Notes:  This is only an example.  It is not necessarily fit for installation.
I have done somewhat more exhaustive work on this before, about five times,
and each time I lost the data (host goes down, crashed disk, editor mishap,
mean administrator, etc.)

Someone should probably sit down and give this some thought and organize this
into the main UUCP Map distribution.
(I volunteer if people think this is needed and no one else does it.)

I think it would be appropriate if the current UUCP Maps listed a d.Internet
or something which basically defined all this stuff.  While a bit of
cross-updating between two networks would ensue, it would not entail too great
an effort since the only hosts listed would be gateways hosts, where
you would usually have to do redundant updating someplace anyway.

Things >would< be easier if all UUCP hosts had happy free Internet neighbors
within a fast free modem phone call away, and had domains with MX's
pointing to the Internet host, etc. etc. etc.  But right now there are still
messy areas.  As it is, I see lots and lots and lots of multiple Internet hops,
trans-continental and international crossings as result of UUCP maps,
which would mostly disappear except where appropriate with this addition.

lamy@ai.utoronto.ca (Jean-Francois Lamy) (07/22/89)

In article <27059@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV> ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen) writes:
>		 I see lots and lots and lots of multiple Internet hops,
>trans-continental and international crossings as result of UUCP maps,
>which would mostly disappear except where appropriate with this addition.

Assuming that the internet is mostly homogeneous is premature; sometimes
there is considerable fudging of map entries so that traffic travels
only through internet sites that can compensate for each other's quirks.
For example, we keep two UUCP over TCP mail connections to Internet
sites because that way we can avoid fighting over religion about ! address
rewriting.

Jean-Francois Lamy               lamy@ai.utoronto.ca, uunet!ai.utoronto.ca!lamy
AI Group, Department of Computer Science, University of Toronto, Canada M5S 1A4

ahd@sun.soe.clarkson.edu.UUCP (07/22/89)

From article <27059@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, by ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen):
> [what UUCP Map & pathalias gives:]
>> 	uunet!mtxinu!ucbvax!machine.berkeley.edu!user
>> Clearly, the optimal route is:
>> 	uunet!machine.berkeley.edu!user
>
> It is a flaw in the UUCP Mapping project.  If it weren't, then I would know why
> it wasn't because the UUCP Mapping project would have told me why not
> (as a user) and how to do it right.  As it is, it is fairly flawed.

Disclaimer... the following is personal opinion... and I don't have the
supporting docs at hand.

I would not call it a flaw.  Rather, it avoids use of the internet
because the internet HAS NOT AGREED to be a backbone for UUCP traffic.
While the above use of the internet would be legal (berkeley being on
the net), using the internet as a mail carrier between other networks
is explicitly frowned upon by the those who rule.

Since UUCP sites don't pay for those nice T1 links making up the
Internet backbones, their view is not unreasonable.

In practice, a message often starts on UUCP and ends up on Bitnet via
NSFNET and CSNET, but wholesale (official routing) via the internet
would get the net.police out in droves.

Drew Derbyshire
Clarkson University Class of 1989 (7 years late)

Internet: ahd@clutx.clarkson.edu        U.S. Mail: 578 Broadway, Apt 6
Voice:    914-339-7425                             Kingston, NY 12401

mike@unmvax.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) (08/02/89)

In article <3183@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> ahd@sun.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>From article <27059@lll-winken.LLNL.GOV>, by ulmo@ssyx.ucsc.edu (Brad Allen):

>I would not call it a flaw.  Rather, it avoids use of the internet
>because the internet HAS NOT AGREED to be a backbone for UUCP traffic.
>While the above use of the internet would be legal (berkeley being on
>the net), using the internet as a mail carrier between other networks
>is explicitly frowned upon by the those who rule.

Not anymore -- see below...

>Since UUCP sites don't pay for those nice T1 links making up the
>Internet backbones, their view is not unreasonable.

Actually, very few *internet* sites pay for such links either...most
have grants...and that's only for the local link.  The backbone links
are not paid for directly by anyone...

>In practice, a message often starts on UUCP and ends up on Bitnet via
>NSFNET and CSNET, but wholesale (official routing) via the internet
>would get the net.police out in droves.

This is actually no longer true.  It used to be that
   NIS  ->  IS  ->  IS  -> NIS
 (NIS == Non internet site, IS == Internet site)
with the central link over the internet was frowned upon.  Not so any
longer.  The internet is now made up, substantially, of three
categories of networks: MILNET, ARPANET, and NSFNET.  All those
regional networks are in the NSFNET category.  The NSFNET policy is
specifically to allow such traffic, since the NSFNET was created to
increase general datacommunications, and it should do that even for
those that are unable to connect.  Connection, actually, is relatively
cheap (all you have to pay for is your router and your leased line and
a nominal fee).  ARPANET is being phased out, so its policies really
aren't relevant.  MILNET *does* desire to restrict non-milnet traffic,
but this is taken care of at a lower level: the level of IP packet
routing.  Unless one of the IS sites above is a milnet site and the
NIS it is talking to is not directly associated with MILNET/DDN, the
rules are being broken.  However, the rules are being broken by that
MILNET site, and not anyone else.  When MILNET begins distributing the
network costs among sites, presumably this will offer real incentive
for such sites to follow the guidelines.

The upshot is that almost all internet traffic now travels on networks
supported by NSF, which has stated that use by non-internet sites is
perfectly acceptable.

--
    Michael I. Bushnell      \     This above all; to thine own self be true
LIBERTE, EGALITE, FRATERNITE  \    And it must follow, as the night the day,

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (08/02/89)

In article <261@unmvax.unm.edu> mike@unmvax.cs.unm.edu (Michael I. Bushnell) writes:

| Actually, very few *internet* sites pay for such links either...most
| have grants...and that's only for the local link.  The backbone links
| are not paid for directly by anyone...

  Excuse me? Virtually all of the .com and .org sites pay for service.
Take a look at the NYSERNET maps, see GE, Kodak, IBM. That's $30k/year
or more per company (and in some cases there is added billing for
additional sites of one company).

  The last time I looked the BITNET leased line was still paid for by
us, too. This is not to mention internal nets we maintain which might
carry traffic for some routing.

| The upshot is that almost all internet traffic now travels on networks
| supported by NSF, which has stated that use by non-internet sites is
| perfectly acceptable.

  I'd like to see some figures for that, virtually all of the companies
seem to be getting on these little regional networks, and even the
universities are not all getting a free ride. Most of the schools in
upstate NY are on NYSERnet, and while they get a discount, I haven't
heard that they are getting NSF to pay the freight.

  NSF policy is not binding on paying customers. In practice it is
usually permissible and customary for a paying site to carry mail,
because the mail volume is so low compared to the ftp and telnet. Don't
convince yourself that this is written in stone by NSF policy, though,
it's a public service large companies perform, often because the
bitbashers do it without telling anyone.

  Note that AT&T took great pain to disallow "through mail" on its
sites, for all connections including uucp. I think you had better
clarify which sites are bound by the NSF policy, assuming that it is
still in effect (I believe it is).