[comp.mail.uucp] Pathalias question

clutx.clarkson.edu (Drew Derbyshire,,,9143397425) (06/19/89)

From article <1242@psuhcx.psu.edu>, by wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner):
> Here's the situation:  psuvax1 munges my uucp mail in an unacceptable way
> (at least it used to), so I mark it as dead.  I have a connection using

I'd start by talking to the psuvax postmaster and have him fix his
mailer.  If it hurts your mail, it would probably hurt others as well.

-ahd-

bill@twwells.com (T. William Wells) (06/19/89)

In article <1242@psuhcx.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:
: I'd like to mark psuvax1 as dead in my maps, but then if any paths end up
: with psuvax1 in them, I'd like to have the path start with psuvax1.
:
: Here's the situation:  psuvax1 munges my uucp mail in an unacceptable way
: (at least it used to), so I mark it as dead.  I have a connection using
: uucp over tcp/ip with lll-winken, and all my mail goes out that way.
: Unfortunately, my path to psuvax1 is now
:
: psuvax1       lll-winken!ames!think!bloom-beacon!garp!psuvax1!%s
:
: and hosts which are only reachable through psuvax1 use this path as well.
: I want to get rid of the lll-winken!ames!think!bloom-beacon!garp, but not
: to route anything more through psuvax1 than I have to.
:
: Any suggestions?

Presumably, you have a direct link to psuvax1? If so, run the output
of pathalias through the following:

sed 's/^I[^^I]*!psuvax1!/^Ipsuvax1!/'

(The ^I's are tab characters.)

All it does is strip off the prefix of the path to psuvax1.

---
bill@twwells.com

rsalz@bbn.com (Rich Salz) (06/20/89)

In <3188@sun.soe.clarkson.edu> ahd@sun.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu writes:
>I'd start by talking to the psuvax postmaster and have him fix his
>mailer.  If it hurts your mail, it would probably hurt others as well.

I would have replied to this, but I can't make sense of this address:
	From: ahd@sun.soe!clutx.clarkson.edu (Drew Derbyshire,,,9143397425)

The irony is just too good...
	/rich $alz
--
Please send comp.sources.unix-related mail to rsalz@uunet.uu.net.
Use a domain-based address or give alternate paths, or you may lose out.

wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) (07/23/89)

I'd like to mark psuvax1 as dead in my maps, but then if any paths end up
with psuvax1 in them, I'd like to have the path start with psuvax1.

Here's the situation:  psuvax1 munges my uucp mail in an unacceptable way
(at least it used to), so I mark it as dead.  I have a connection using
uucp over tcp/ip with lll-winken, and all my mail goes out that way.
Unfortunately, my path to psuvax1 is now

psuvax1	lll-winken!ames!think!bloom-beacon!garp!psuvax1!%s

and hosts which are only reachable through psuvax1 use this path as well.
I want to get rid of the lll-winken!ames!think!bloom-beacon!garp, but not
to route anything more through psuvax1 than I have to.

Any suggestions?

  Bill

davidsen@sungod.crd.ge.com (William Davidsen) (08/02/89)

In article <1242@psuhcx.psu.edu> wcf@psuhcx.psu.edu (Bill Fenner) writes:

| I want to get rid of the lll-winken!ames!think!bloom-beacon!garp, but not
| to route anything more through psuvax1 than I have to.

  You'll kick yourself... just use sed to delete the leading crap.
	sed 's/ [^ ]*!psuvax1/psuvax1/' mypaths >betterpaths
My makefile for paths does quite a bit of stuff like this, for just the
same reason.
	bill davidsen		(davidsen@crdos1.crd.GE.COM)
  {uunet | philabs}!crdgw1!crdos1!davidsen

huver@amgraf.UUCP (Huver) (08/04/89)

In article <1242@psuhcx.psu.edu>, Bill Fenner says:

And in a reply article <1443@crdgw1.crd.ge.com>, Willam Davidsen writes:

>   You'll kick yourself... just use sed to delete the leading crap.
> 	sed 's/ [^ ]*!psuvax1/psuvax1/' mypaths >betterpaths
> My makefile for paths does quite a bit of stuff like this, for just the
> same reason.

Both of you (prepare to kick yourselves) go read up pathalias manual pages
and "discover" what does the <node-name> notation mean (now go ahead and
kick).

The real answer is:

	<psuvax1>(whatever-the-applicable-cost)
	e.g. <psuvax1>(DIRECT)