[comp.mail.uucp] Problem with Telebits and Bridge boxes

clewis@eci386.uucp (Chris Lewis) (08/21/89)

I'm posting this for a friend (eci386!emsdev!rmc, Russell Crook), for
reasons which will become obvious.  Please reply to me so that I can
insure that he gets it.  Thanks.

==========

Has anyone out there tried running uucp through a modem (especially a
Trailblazer Plus) on a Bridge box (or any other serial-to-Ethernet
conversion box)? We are having problems in sending uucp data outbound,
although inbound data seems to work at acceptable speed. The symptoms are:

    We get polled, uucp fires up, connection made through Bridge box to our
    system.
    uucico transfers data into our system, no problem.
    Roles reverse, we try to send files.
    If the files are very small (1k or less, we think), it works.
    However, a larger file hangs up with one of several problems,
    usually a pkcget alarm. Connection dies.

The problem also exists with a Hayes-compatible modem at 2400 baud, although
the same modem works on the same system on a directly connected port.
Clearly, the serial-to-ethernet box is screwing things up, but how?
It seems to work fine for dialup terminals, and uucp works fine as
long as it is acknowledges going out, not data.

Russell Crook

====

[PS: we've tried sending very large very binary files *to* them without
trouble, but anything over about a K and a half back the other way hangs.
Russell is convinced that he has all of the Bridge's "local mode" stuff off,
but I'm not so sure.  Obviously, this is not a Telebit problem, because
an ordinary modem has the same trouble.]
--
Chris Lewis, R.H. Lathwell & Associates: Elegant Communications Inc.
UUCP: {uunet!mnetor, utcsri!utzoo}!lsuc!eci386!clewis

greg@moxie.UUCP (Greg Hackney) (08/23/89)

In article <1989Aug21.151242.19912@eci386.uucp> clewis@eci386 (Chris Lewis) writes:

>Has anyone out there tried running uucp through a modem (especially a
>Trailblazer Plus) on a Bridge box (or any other serial-to-Ethernet
>conversion box)? We are having problems in sending uucp

Our LAN is by Bridge Communications, and works well with uucp. The
major trick was to disable the flow control on all the associated network
ports and let uucp pace itself with it's own error protocol.
--
Greg

scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) (08/23/89)

In article <55@moxie.UUCP> greg@moxie.UUCP (Greg Hackney) writes:
>In article <1989Aug21.151242.19912@eci386.uucp> clewis@eci386 (Chris Lewis) writes:
>>Has anyone out there tried running uucp through a modem (especially a
>>Trailblazer Plus) on a Bridge box (or any other serial-to-Ethernet
>>conversion box)? We are having problems in sending uucp
>
>Our LAN is by Bridge Communications, and works well with uucp. The
>major trick was to disable the flow control on all the associated network
>ports and let uucp pace itself with it's own error protocol.

Could you explain how you got your Bridge box to do uucp, PLEASE!
We have a CS/100 and where we are having problems is with 8 bit data.
the Bridge wants to translate things and we cannot figure out (from
that wonderfully unreadable manual) how to fix it.  Of course Bridge
has been no help (uucp?  What's that?).

Thanks!

--
scott barman
{gatech, emory}!dtscp1!scott

garton@cunixa.cc.columbia.edu (Bradford Garton) (08/23/89)

In article <916@dtscp1.UUCP> scott@dtscp1.UUCP (Scott Barman) writes:

>We have a CS/100 and where we are having problems is with 8 bit data.
>the Bridge wants to translate things and we cannot figure out (from
>that wonderfully unreadable manual) how to fix it.  Of course Bridge
      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Amen to that!  And here I thought it was just me...

Brad Garton
Music Dept.
Columbia University
brad@woof.columbia.edu

edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) (08/24/89)

This sounds like an XON/XOFF flow control problem somewhere.  It
must be disabled everywhere for UUCP to work correctly.  (Hardware
flow control is ok and probably desirable.)

--
Ed Morin
Northwest Nexus Inc.

clewis@eci386.UUCP (08/29/89)

In article <173@nwnexus.WA.COM> edm@nwnexus.WA.COM (Ed Morin) writes:

>This sounds like an XON/XOFF flow control problem somewhere.  It
>must be disabled everywhere for UUCP to work correctly.  (Hardware
>flow control is ok and probably desirable.)

I've got quite a number of people suggesting (and in one case *demanding*)
XON/XOFF in the Telebit as being the culprit.  No cigar....

The problem *still* occurs when a dumb 2400 baud modem is used in place
of the Telebit - [which was stated in the original posting].

Interestingly enough, the problem appears to have gone away when the
Bridge box was physically reset....  Makes one wonder whether some of
the parameters don't take effect until after reset.

I haven't heard from Russell for a little while, so I don't know whether
the problem is completely solved, but I am forwarding everything I get
to him.  Thanks everyone.

When and if he gets a final resolution, I'll post a synopsis of
how it's done.