[comp.mail.uucp] gateways, routing

cs00chs@unccvax.UUCP (charles spell) (08/19/89)

I have been trying to guess paths/routes to other people via out standard
'mail' program. I have been unsuccessful in guessing what paths I need to
use to send mail. All I know is that I've been getting mail from other
networks and I can not translate the From: line to a mail destination that I
can use (the usual case is that i get mail returned after it has reached 75%
of its destination - due to an unknown system). I have trouble determining
the difference between a network/gateway/machine/ and sometimes the user's
login name.

I've read books with simple examples, but like usual, the book has simple
situations. If there is a doc on basic inter-network mailing, please send it!

Thanx for your time.

nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) (08/28/89)

In article <1614@unccvax.UUCP>, cs00chs@unccvax.UUCP (charles spell) writes:

> I have been trying to guess paths/routes to other people via out standard
> 'mail' program. I have been unsuccessful in guessing what paths I need to
> use to send mail. All I know is that I've been getting mail from other
> networks and I can not translate the From: line to a mail destination that I
> can use (the usual case is that i get mail returned after it has reached 75%
> of its destination - due to an unknown system). I have trouble determining
> the difference between a network/gateway/machine/ and sometimes the user's
> login name.
>
> I've read books with simple examples, but like usual, the book has simple
> situations. If there is a doc on basic inter-network mailing, please send it!

This is about where I am also, although I'm starting to understand alittle.
Is there such a document? I've tried what system documentation we have here
plus a SAMMS book called "UNIX Communications", which isn't bad, but things
just aren't quite adding up yet. I have found that there is a command to
find an address or path to a given system but I don't remember what it was
off the top of my head. I do remember that it was mentioned in the SAMMS
book but was found under a completely different name on our system here.

I guess it is obvious now but I would like any pointers on good information
on this subject also.

				       Thanks

--
"Hot Damn! Groat Cakes Again                   Michael Figg
Heavy on the thirty weight!"                   DLA Systems Automation Center

rwright@novavax.UUCP (Ronald K. Wright) (08/29/89)

In article <729@dsacg2.UUCP> nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:
>In article <1614@unccvax.UUCP>, cs00chs@unccvax.UUCP (charles spell) writes:
>>
>> I have been trying to guess paths/routes to other people
>>
>> I've read books with simple examples, but like usual, the book has simple
>> situations. If there is a doc on basic inter-network mailing, please send it!
>
>This is about where I am also, although I'm starting to understand alittle.
>Is there such a document?

There is said to be one:

!%@:: A Directory of Electronic Mail
Addressing Networks
$19.95

Published by O'Reilly and Associates, Inc
	     632 Petaluma Avenue
	     Sebastopol Ca 95472
	     800 338 6887
	     (Ca 800 533 6887)

I say "said" because I have not gotten my copy yet. It is supposed to
arrive in September.

I have used a number of the books from this company and they are
generally quite good.

--
R. K. Wright MD JD                     | office: medexam!rkw
Chief Medical Examiner, Broward County | nova:   novavax!rwright

bill@wgc386.MV.COM (William Gibbs) (08/30/89)

In article <729@dsacg2.UUCP> nor1675@dsacg2.UUCP (Michael Figg) writes:
>In article <1614@unccvax.UUCP>, cs00chs@unccvax.UUCP (charles spell) writes:
>>
>> I have been trying to guess paths/routes to other people via out standard
>> 'mail' program. I have been unsuccessful in guessing what paths I need to
>> use to send mail. All I know is that I've been getting mail from other
>> stuff deleted ...
>>
>> I've read books with simple examples, but like usual, the book has simple
>> situations. If there is a doc on basic inter-network mailing, please send it!
>

>This is about where I am also, although I'm starting to understand alittle.
>Is there such a document? I've tried what system documentation we have here
>plus a SAMMS book called "UNIX Communications", which isn't bad, but things
>just aren't quite adding up yet. I have found that there is a command to
> Stuff deleted ...

You might want to get your hands on the books from O'Reilly and Associates.
The are called the Nut Shell books.  Two of which deal with Using and
Managing UUCP and Usenet.

O'Reilly and Associates, Inc.
981 Chestnut St.
Newton, MA  02159
1-800-338-NUTS

-- I have no affiliation with O'Reilly and Assoc. --

You might want to investigate the use of a "smart mailer" also.  A smart
mailer will figure out the paths for you based on the uucp maps that are
distributed on usenet.  The programs needed are smail and pathalias.  Both
are public domain and available from most archive sites.  Pathalias will
take the raw maps and make them into a "paths" file.  Smail will take the
address from your mail (e.g. somehere!foo  or foo@somewhere) and use the
paths file to come up with the correct path.

--
William Gibbs                                          bill@wgc386.MV.COM
34G Bay Ridge Drive

peed@cell.mot.COM (Andrew Peed) (08/31/89)

	You might also keep an eye out for Nut Shell's newest book on
the black art of traversing the various nets and gateways; it's called

	!@$%*.

... or something like that. I haven't seen it yet, but just heard about it
not too long ago.

Andrew B. Peed					...!uunet!motcid!peed

 "... what's the point of having a reputation if it's a good one??"