[comp.mail.uucp] UUCP checksumming

cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar Guru) (09/03/89)

I am working on my 3 window g protocol for fsuucp, and am having a problem
with checksumming that i hope some uucp guru can help out with.

The g protocol description says that if a packet is a control packet
(k = 9), then the checksum bytes C0 and C1 contain  a zero, and the value
of C, respectively.

That's not what i'm getting... i get:

  k = 9
 c0 = 107
 c1 = 42
  c = 63
  x = 119
len = 0

obviously, 42 != 63, and 107 != 0... so, when i run this through the
checksum validator, it comes up false. Does anyone know what i'm doing
wrong? Is there some magic value i should be using? should i ignore the
checksum on control packets if the xor check is ok? Haaaaalp!! :-)

--
     Sig: ++Christopher();            | "The two most common things in the
Internet: cambler@polyslo.calpoly.edu |  universe are hydrogen and stupidity"

nick@aimed.UUCP (Nick Pemberton) (09/09/89)

In article <14192@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU> cambler@polyslo.CalPoly.EDU (Fubar Guru) writes:
>obviously, 42 != 63, and 107 != 0... so, when i run this through the
>checksum validator, it comes up false. Does anyone know what i'm doing
>wrong? Is there some magic value i should be using? should i ignore the
>checksum on control packets if the xor check is ok? Haaaaalp!! :-)

When I wrote uucp for PICK, I used the following method:

get envelope.
do XOR framing check.
IF Data_required THEN
   get data pack
   do checksum

Thus, the framing is always checked, and the checksum is ignored whenever
a control packet is received.

Whenever I generate a control packet, a place zeros in the checksum.

Hope this helps.

Nick
--
Nick Pemberton  		 uucp: !{lsuc, uunet!mnetor}!aimed!nick
AIM, Inc			  bus: (416) 429-1085