[comp.mail.uucp] SUN 386i

ayp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Don Ault) (09/25/89)

> this probably has no real relevance, but i read that sun is dropping
> the 386i product line...

   SUN corp. was just on campus that other day, they made no mention of
   this to me.  What is the reason for dropping the 386i?????  Are they
   kicking around the 486?

					Don

Don P. Ault Jr.                     | PUCC General Consultant
Purdue University Computing Center  | UNIX Group Volunteer
West Lafayette, Indiana 47906       | ayp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu

steve@simon.UUCP (Steven E. Piette) (10/03/89)

In article <4195@mentor.cc.purdue.edu>, ayp@mentor.cc.purdue.edu (Don Ault) writes:
> > this probably has no real relevance, but i read that sun is dropping
> > the 386i product line...
>
>    SUN corp. was just on campus that other day, they made no mention of
>    this to me.  What is the reason for dropping the 386i?????  Are they
>    kicking around the 486?

It's been said before and I guess it needs to be said again - Don't belive
everything you read in the trade rags (or newspapers or USENET).

I think I can clearly state that Sun is NOT dropping the Intel product line!.
(Not that my words carry any weight, but the people who were on your campus
didn't mention dropping the 386i for a reason...It's not being dropped)

The 386i is still a strong product in the market it was designed for; People
who want the 80X86 instruction set. This includes those who are transitioning
from PC's to UNIX and still need to run DOS products under UNIX.

Sun has announced it's intention to produce a follow on product using the 486,
additional information is available via your local sales office under
non-disclosure presentations.

Don't get too confused my the signature lines, I'm doing this from home,
during the day one of the offices that I manage the S.E.'s for supports Purdue.

--
Steven E. Piette                              Applied Computer Technology Inc.
UUCP: {smarthost}!simon!steve                             1750 Riverwood Drive