[comp.mail.uucp] uupc & Everex modems

fehr@ms.uky.edu (Robert Fehr) (10/12/89)

We are using the uupc program to communicate w/ our host unix
box, but a number of our users have Everex modems and our
standard dialing script is, as they say, strictly from hunger.
We can hear a dial tone and then -- nothing!--. The script is
in the form:  ATDT1,800,###,####  CONNECT  which works fine for
many of our modems but not for the EVEREX. Any suggestions?

     Jeff Davis
     davis@keats.ca.uky.edu

cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) (10/12/89)

In article <12908@s.ms.uky.edu>, fehr@ms.uky.edu (Robert Fehr) writes:
> We are using the uupc program to communicate w/ our host unix
> box, but a number of our users have Everex modems and our
> standard dialing script is, as they say, strictly from hunger.
> We can hear a dial tone and then -- nothing!--. The script is
> in the form:  ATDT1,800,###,####  CONNECT  which works fine for
> many of our modems but not for the EVEREX. Any suggestions?

We have a pair of evercom 24e modems and had lots of trouble trying to
use them for uucp transfers.  In connecting to uunet, we had good
throughput without errors when transferring data to uunet, but when
recieving data from uunet we would lose a byte of data from every
third or fourth packet.

We hooked up a line monitor to verify that we were not loosing the
data in our serial board.  The problem was not in the card, it was in the
modem.  Our solution was to upgrade to T2500's.

BTW- we used the standard hayes dialer script and had no problems.  If you
really put the commas in your systems file,  that may be the problem.  On
some of our modems with an AT command set, the comma signifies a wait for
a secondary dial tone (we used a 9, before each phone number to get an
outside line).