[comp.mail.uucp] Windowing in DECUS uucp

jeh@simpact.com (10/12/89)

In article <342@mccall.uucp>, tp@mccall.uucp (Terry Poot) writes:
> In article <975@crdos1.crd.ge.COM>, davidsen@crdos1.crd.ge.COM (Wm E Davidsen Jr) writes:
>> In article <688.252e37c2@simpact.com>, jeh@simpact.com writes:
>> |  (e.g. the gnuucp versino which was the basis for DECUS (VMS) uucp) which
>> |  don't do windowing but these are the exception.
>>   And the performance is pretty poor, too.
>
> I get from 215 to 217 cps over a 2400 baud modem using DECUS (VMS) uucp to
> talk to a 4.3bsd system and an SCO Xenix system. These numbers are pretty
> close to what a previous posting gave for unix performance, so either his
> implementation doesn't do windowing either, or the lack of it doesn't make
> too much difference. I wouldn't say my performance is poor.

Sigh.  I guess I wasn't clear.  The current version (1.1) of DECUS uucp (which
is what Terry is running) most definitely DOES do windowing -- that was my big
contribution to that release [he said modestly].  The version of gnuucp which
I started with was limited to windowsize=1, and its performance was about half
of what Terry reports for our code.

	--- Jamie Hanrahan, Simpact Associates, San Diego CA
Chair, VMSnet [DECUS uucp] and Internals Working Groups, DECUS VAX Systems SIG
Internet:  jeh@simpact.com, or if that fails, jeh@crash.cts.com
Uucp:  ...{crash,scubed,decwrl}!simpact!jeh