[comp.mail.uucp] UUPC problem ... and a new

ahd@clutx.clarkson.edu (Drew Derbyshire,,,6176413739) (12/05/89)

From article <441@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM>, by kleonard@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM (Ken Leonard):
> In article <9237@microsoft.UUCP> stevesc@microsoft.UUCP root@sensual.wa.com writes:
> * I'm running UUPC, the version marked "post-1.0-interim", and I've been
> * having a strange problem.  . .
> * But if I try to send a file larger than
> * about 1K, I get a message in my log file like "22 packets transferred,
> * 200 errors" (the 22 is typical but not consistent, but it's always
> * 200), and the file isn't transferred.  I've asked the system
> * administrator of that link about the problem, and the administrator
> * of another site that talks to that system, and neither has heard of
> * any such problem before.  Is this a known bug in UUPC?  Is it a bug in

It's a sort of known problem, with a sort of known fix.  You need to up
your time out limit, which is a fix that came from the folks up in
Vancouver who wrote it.   Lemme see... TIMEOUT (I think ... I changed it
because it conflicted with another global) in DCP Packet.c is raised to
15 in my version.

Speaking of "my version", the bored or adventurous among you may wish
to retrieve it via anonymous FTP from clutx.clarkson.edu, it is in
uucpusr.zip in the pub sub-directory.  Please send me mail if you do, so
I know who has it.  It includes mail aliases, multiple mail servers, and
2 pages of bug fixes (many of which I caused).  This is a binaries only
zip file, if you need source ask me.

What is the post 1.0 interim version?

Does anyone know the address for van-bc.uucp?  I tried the address I had
for them and it didn't work.  I want to ship my code back to them so
they can accept it or reject it as they please and I'm not maintaining
1000 lines of C code attached to someone else's 5000 lines of C code.

Drew Derbyshire

Internet:  ahd@clutx.clarkson.edu        Snail mail:  108 Decatur St, Apt 9
Voice:     617-641-3739                               Arlington, MA 02174

ahd@clutx.clarkson.edu (Drew Derbyshire,,,6176413739) (12/05/89)

> From article <441@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM>, by kleonard@gvlv2.GVL.Unisys.COM (Ken Leonard):
>> 200 errors" (the 22 is typical but not consistent, but it's always
>> * 200), and the file isn't transferred.  I've asked the system

The 200 is a hard coded limit.  grep the source files if you want to find out
where it is.

Also:  The correct name for my version is pub/uupc/uupcuser.zip; where I
was when I typed pub/uucpusr is beyond me... but I added a link to the
file under the weird name so the people who miss this post can find it.
Next update, if any, will only be under the correct name.  All of this
refers to the version of UUPC available from clutx.clarkson.edu via
anonymous FTP.  It is not available via mail or sled dog.

Drew