[comp.mail.uucp] HoneyDanBer uucp question

john@starfire.UUCP (John Lind) (11/23/89)

NOTE: respond by e-mail -- my site doens't get this group anymore!

What can I tell System V HoneyDanBer System Administrators that I want to
call so that they can set up their Systems and Permissions files so that
I can call them?  It seems to have something to do with my long system
name.  Both of the SysV HDB systems that I want to communicate with can
call me, and everything goes just fine.  When I call them, they give me
"You are unknown to me."  HELP!!

I need any help/leads I can get.  We have tried all manner of games with the
LOGNAME and VALIDATE fields, to no avail.  No-one around here has a clue.  If
you know of someone who would know, please forward this to them, or send me
their e-mail address and I'll contact them.

Anyone know how to reach Peter Honeyman or the rest?? :-)

Don't forget to respond by e-mail, please.
--
	       John Lind, Starfire Consulting Services
E-mail: john@starfire.MN.ORG     USnail:   PO Box 13001, Mpls MN  55414

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) (11/27/89)

In article <572@starfire.UUCP> john@starfire.UUCP (John Lind) writes:
|NOTE: respond by e-mail -- my site doens't get this group anymore!
|
|What can I tell System V HoneyDanBer System Administrators that I want to
|call so that they can set up their Systems and Permissions files so that
|I can call them?  It seems to have something to do with my long system
|name.  Both of the SysV HDB systems that I want to communicate with can
|call me, and everything goes just fine.  When I call them, they give me
|"You are unknown to me."  HELP!!

	Some uucp implementations send only the first
	6 or 7 characters of the system name.  If this
	is true of your system, you need to have that
	name in the MACHINE and VALIDATE fields.
	LOGNAME is restricted to 8 characters since
	that's all most password files will handle.
	You will probably have interesting problems with
	"smail" on the HDB sites as well (if they use it),
	if this turns out to be the problem...

Cheers,
--
   ^^ 	 Bruce Becker	Toronto, Ont.
w \**/	 Internet: bdb@becker.UUCP, bruce@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu

brian@motcsd.UUCP (Brian Smithson) (11/30/89)

bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:

>In article <572@starfire.UUCP> john@starfire.UUCP (John Lind) writes:
>|NOTE: respond by e-mail -- my site doens't get this group anymore!
>|
>|What can I tell System V HoneyDanBer System Administrators that I want to
>|call so that they can set up their Systems and Permissions files so that
>|I can call them?  It seems to have something to do with my long system
>|name.  Both of the SysV HDB systems that I want to communicate with can
>|call me, and everything goes just fine.  When I call them, they give me
>|"You are unknown to me."  HELP!!

>	Some uucp implementations send only the first
>	6 or 7 characters of the system name.  If this
>	is true of your system, you need to have that
>	name in the MACHINE and VALIDATE fields.
>	LOGNAME is restricted to 8 characters since
>	that's all most password files will handle.
>	You will probably have interesting problems with
>	"smail" on the HDB sites as well (if they use it),
>	if this turns out to be the problem...

I have that problem here.  I'm running System V and HDB with smail.  Here's
what I do:

(1) Identify the system by the first 7 characters, e.g. "starfir" instead
	of "starfire", in the Systems and Permissions files.  The login name
	(and LOGNAME entry in Permissions) can be as long as you want, but the
	trailing characters are probably ignored.

(2) Put "starfire = starfir" in a glue file that gets fed to pathalias
	so that smail will recognize "starfire" as a valid name.  This permits
	e-mail replies to work.

It seems to work OK for e-mail and file transfers.  Bear in mind that what I
do here is what you will want to have your HDB neighbors do.  You shouldn't
have to do anything special on your system.

--
-Brian Smithson, Motorola Inc., Computer Systems Division
 10700 N. De Anza Boulevard, Cupertino, CA 95014 USA, (408)864-2225

bblue@crash.cts.com (Bill Blue) (12/06/89)

In article <601@engadm.UUCP> brian@motcsd.UUCP (Brian Smithson) writes:
>bdb@becker.UUCP (Bruce Becker) writes:
>>	Some uucp implementations send only the first
>>	6 or 7 characters of the system name.  If this
>>	is true of your system, you need to have that
>>	name in the MACHINE and VALIDATE fields.
>>	LOGNAME is restricted to 8 characters since
>>	that's all most password files will handle.
>>	You will probably have interesting problems with
>>	"smail" on the HDB sites as well (if they use it),
>>	if this turns out to be the problem...
>
>I have that problem here.  I'm running System V and HDB with smail.  Here's
>what I do:
>
>(1) Identify the system by the first 7 characters, e.g. "starfir" instead
>	of "starfire", in the Systems and Permissions files.  The login name
>	(and LOGNAME entry in Permissions) can be as long as you want, but the
>	trailing characters are probably ignored.
>
>(2) Put "starfire = starfir" in a glue file that gets fed to pathalias
>	so that smail will recognize "starfire" as a valid name.  This permits
>	e-mail replies to work.
>
>It seems to work OK for e-mail and file transfers.  Bear in mind that what I
>do here is what you will want to have your HDB neighbors do.  You shouldn't
>have to do anything special on your system.

This technique also is working well here on Xenix 2.3.x HDB.  What's
odd though, is that I don't have to do it with *every* eight character
site name that I (crash) talk to, only certain ones.  There was one
sitename (I don't recall which one right now) whose 8 character name
would fail if it was named specifically in Permissions (MACHINE), but
worked ok if not named directly by using the OTHER operator (something
that is apparently unique to Xenix).  Yet another 8 character name
would fail regardless, until I aliased the 7 character version of it
as described above.  It must be a certain combination of letters, or
the exact 7th or 8th character that is setting it off.

--Bill